News Garry Hughes could return to Bulldogs board

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Garry Hughes has been sounded out about the prospect of filling one of the vacant board spots after three high-profile directors quit to head off a coup to overthrow them.

Outgoing Bulldogs chair Lynne Anderson made an impassioned plea for disgruntled Canterbury people to "stop the negativity" and "now get out of the way to help the club fulfil its potential" after she, deputy chair John Ballesty and fellow director Paul Dunn stood down on Wednesday.

Their decision ends the need for an extraordinary general meeting, which had been called by a bloc of disgruntled members to oust the trio. Premiership-winning Bulldogs player Dunn will remain the caretaker chairman of the Canterbury League Club.

The focus now shifts to their likely replacements as new major sponsor Laundy Hotels considers whether to remain involved with the blue and whites. NSWRL chairman George Peponis, a former chairman of the Canterbury League Club, was sounded out as a potential football club director, but declined. The Herald can reveal that Hughes was also approached about filling one of the vacancies.
“I have been approached and I’m considering my position,” Hughes said.

Hughes was controversially sacked after the Coffs Harbour scandal of 2004, prompting a falling out between the club and the famous Hughes clan. The family had surrendered its life memberships in 2009 in protest over Canterbury’s decision not to extend the honour to Corey Hughes and the club’s refusal to apologise to Garry. The trio of brothers – Graeme, Garry and Mark, as well as Garry’s sons, Steve and Glenn – took the unprecedented move.

However, their memberships were restored after Anderson ascended to power and she formally apologised to Garry on behalf of the club.

That decision could pave the way for him to return to the corridors of power, although several other members are also in the mix for the three vacant board spots.

n a statement, Anderson said it had been a "privilege" to serve as chair of the Bulldogs for 2½ years and was happy to return Canterbury to being a development club, as well as ending the days of "backroom deals and back-ended [player] contracts".

"Whilst standing down means that I and two of my fellow directors, John Ballesty and Paul Dunn, won't be around to finish the job we started, we will always put the interests of the club before our own," Anderson said.

"We made no secret of the fact we inherited some challenges, the most pressing being how to ensure we could field a competitive roster with the salary cap debacle that handicapped retention and recruitment plans for several years.
"We always said it was going to take some time to turn the corner – that it would not be until 2021 that we would be in control of our destiny. I'm proud to say that has been achieved.
"So while it is in my DNA to fight and never let anyone down, John, Paul and I were determined to act to prevent an EGM process that interfered with the arrival of our new recruits, coaching staff or the club's preparations for 2021.

"It is now up to every person that loves this club to cease with any negativity going forward and put their full support behind the coach and players for next season.

"I implore everyone to now get out of the way and give the club a chance to fulfil its potential without any further interference. That is the only way this club can prosper going forward."
Anderson listed a number of achievements under her tenure, including a revamp of the club's junior league pathways, a new coaching team to be led by Trent Barrett in 2021, a new partnership with Mounties Group, plans for a first group strategic plan and the prospect of a profit in 2020 despite the COVID pandemic.
Anderson forfeited her own remuneration in response to the global health crisis.

Dunn, who will remain the chairman of the league club, said he didn't want to put the club through the cost and adverse publicity that comes with an EGM.

"Some of the people were upset by the things that happened, but we were only doing what we thought was right for the club," Dunn said. "In that vein, standing down, rather than going through an EGM and putting the club through all that hatred and bitterness, was the only option that I saw.
"Trent [Barrett] starts on November 1 and he doesn't need that.
"All the bad press has been hurting the club in terms of recruiting, signing new sponsors. I needed to be able to look myself in the mirror knowing I'd done the right thing by the club.

"I'm happy I've left it in a better place than I found it."
The board changes will again raise questions about the club's recently signed major sponsorship with Laundy Hotels. The business has threatened to walk away from the club due to the political infighting.
The remaining four members on the football club board are Joe Thomas, John Khoury, Adrian Turner and Peter Mortimer.
Anderson led a ticket that swept to power in early 2018, dethroning long-time chairman Ray Dib. She had vowed to rebuild the club and told supporters it would take until 2021 for the Bulldogs to have salary cap space to target free agents.

Source
I wonder if the feud between the Mortimers & Hughes is still running? the reason being if Gary Hughes joins the boarded with Peter Mortimer already on it will it cause any more friction leading to more bad publicity, which we really don't need anymore of ????

1602085949252.png

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What’s Corey Payne doing these days? After the punches he laid on hayne to cause him pain guy should have been given the keys to the leagues club, the board and the pokies revenue :p
Works corporate for Woolworths lol

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Bill woods would be terrific along with Steve Waugh.

John Laws is a massive Dogs fan and a very shrewd and smart operator.

These 3 to fill the voids and another couple to get rid of the lebs.

Paul Keating
Tony Roche
Ian Thorpe
Don Burke (might teach us lebos a thing or two, on how to grow proper parsley and bulgur for tabbouleh)

The lebs, greeks and other wogs must be eradicated from all high positions at the club

mark Waugh is a Canterbury fan

Steve follows Tigers

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m interested in learning what Peter Mortimer and Joe Thomas bring to the club.
Not that much if I’m being honest. Former players with small to medium business experience. I think we could do better there.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Graeme Hughes would have been well suited to the role, Steve Waugh is an outright professional...
But I just don’t know why we couldn’t cast a net that extends to well connected and savvy business professionals.. whoever it is doesn’t necessarily need to have played sport in a previous life.

Raging Bull

Waterboy
Reaction score
How many of the people on the list above have been paid up members for three years? That's the qualifier, and there's only around 1100 members.

But after the coup that was just pulled I reckon you'll see membership blow out to 1500 or 2,000 in no time.

There'll be branch stacking going on everywhere.

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How many of the people on the list above have been paid up members for three years? That's the qualifier, and there's only around 1100 members.

But after the coup that was just pulled I reckon you'll see membership blow out to 1500 or 2,000 in no time.

There'll be branch stacking going on everywhere.
What makes you think membership would blow out that quickly?

The ReignMan

Previously Clint
Reaction score
Bill woods would be terrific along with Steve Waugh.

John Laws is a massive Dogs fan and a very shrewd and smart operator.

These 3 to fill the voids and another couple to get rid of the lebs.

Paul Keating
Tony Roche
Ian Thorpe
Don Burke (might teach us lebos a thing or two, on how to grow proper parsley and bulgur for tabbouleh)

The lebs, greeks and other wogs must be eradicated from all high positions at the club
I reckon Mark Waugh is the more passionate outa the 2 would be good either way

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Neither of the Waughs are Football Club Members, no issues with the Hughes, they are all life members.
"Casting the net wide" is not of any use unless it only catches Football Club members.

Go Dogs

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Garry Hughes is not the man we need.

Now this is going to sound controversial, and I know he stuffed up (big time) in the past, but the man to get us out of this mess has to be Gary McIntyre.

Salary Cap scandal aside, he actually stopped the club from going under in the 80s - he's the very reason we STILL have a club to support. He is the man we need to get us out of this shemozzle.

Remember a few years back when Raerae was CEO, and the Telecrap had that front page headline "Bulldog and a Bomb" - all Raerae did was release a statement on the website saying how disappointed the club was with that.

If Gary McIntyre was the CEO or Chairman at the time, he would've sued News Ltd's arse off so much that they wouldn't dare tread their again.

The reason we are the laughing stock of the comp at the moment is because the managers are too soft, too gutless, don't understand or appreciate the level or power they have, and are in it for their own personal gain.

Gary McIntyre will bring the club back to the glory days, rather than all this Bulldogs DNA bullshit.