Bulldogs stars ‘sick’ of in-fighting as civil war threatens to tear the club apart

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Bulldogs’ season from hell is not over yet as continued backroom drama threatens to tear the club apart.
Coach Dean Pay was sacked midway through the year and Canterbury finished second-last, but that’s not where the pain ends in 2020.

Watch the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership Finals on Kayo. Every game before the Grand Final Live & On-Demand with no-ad breaks during play. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

A boardroom war is in full swing with directors John Ballesty and Paul Dunn, and chair Lynne Anderson, reportedly on the verge of standing down to prevent an extraordinary general meeting being called to remove them, The Daily Telegraph reports.

The Dogs’ major sponsor Laundy Hotels told the publication it may pull its $2m commitment to the club if the civil war rages on, despite only jumping on board this year.

MORE IN SPORT
[IMG alt="SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - SEPTEMBER 14, 2020:
James McDonald Four time Premiership winning Jockey
attends the Australian Turf Club (ATC) and Destination NSW launch of the prestigious Everest Carnival at iconic Sydney location, The Tallawoladah Lawn in Sydney Australia, on SEPTEMBER 14 2020. Picture: NCA Newswire / Gaye Gerard"]https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/thumbnail/8ef73f47bf34d10500889c6ae884bfa0[/IMG]
J-Mac suspended but damage limited
J-Mac suspended but damage limited

Heath Shaw (Giants) meets brother Rhyce Shaw (Swans) in te Sydney AFL derby. Pictured together at the SCG in Sydney.

Shaw rules out North roo-union
Shaw rules out North roo-union

It’s exactly what incoming coach Trent Barrett doesn’t want to hear after he signed a three-year deal to take over in 2021.

He’s already got enough problems on his plate with a weak playing roster that needs a serious shake-up if Canterbury is to be competitive, so the drama at board level is just another headache that will make his job even more difficult.

Sports writer Andrew Webster told Sky Sports’ Big Sports Breakfast Bulldogs stars are sick of the in-fighting.

“I know for a fact players, I’ve spoken to them directly, are pretty sick of the conjecture about their club,” Webster said.

“John Ballesty — he’s one of the board directors they’re trying to overthrow — makes relevant comments in The Herald today that, how the hell can Canterbury sign players and re-sign players when they’ve got so much instability at board level?
“Then Trent Barrett has to walk into all of this. I get the sense and I’ve heard from plenty of people around him that he’s unhappy about it and he was a little bit uncertain about whether this was going to be the right move for him.”
RELATED: Bennett back in charge of Queensland
RELATED: Bombshell injury rocks reigning premiers

Trent Barrett has his work cut out for him at Belmore.
Trent Barrett has his work cut out for him at Belmore.
NRL supremo Phil Gould — who has worked closely with Barrett as a player and coach — recently warned the former NSW playmaker off taking the Dogs job, saying it was a poisoned chalice because of all the administrative chaos.
However, Barrett maintained he was committed to his new gig.
“I thought they were quite pointed comments from Phil Gould a few weeks ago,” Webster said.
“Gus doesn’t say anything for the sake of it, there’s usually some meaning behind it and when he said a few weeks ago that he thinks Trent Barrett should not go to Canterbury it was pretty telling.”
Nine’s Danny Weidler said Barrett was “walking into a mess” and reported the man driving the boardroom change, John Karanikolas, had a blunt message for the Laundys if they were thinking of pulling their sponsorship.
“The Bulldogs are a members club. The Laundy family don’t own it,” he told Weidler. “They are welcome to go now if they can’t accept it.”

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
A simple statement from the club will stop these articles it makes you wonder why there hasn’t been one. They hosed down a stupid Bellamy rumour a few hours after it surfaced but let this one fester.....

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’m sick of it to. They are going to f...up our chance of signing anyone of note, actually they probably already have. If we lose our sponsor and new coach how exactly are these guys thinking they are in it for the good of the dogs?

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Heard there is a meeting today With the board and the laundys, the bulldogs have 48hrs to settle the board or major sponsor is pulling out

Reactions: DT

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Absolute lack of leadership. The place is festering. Dean Pay was aware of this shit fight and fell on his sword to avoid being part of it.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
imagine you are a player on the team having its worst run in its recent history, the chairman is gone, the coach is gone, the coach who replaced the coach is gone, the chairman who replaced the chairman is going, the coach who replaced the replacement coach has been replaced

if all that happened to me i would be extremely humble and stfu

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heard there is a meeting today With the board and the laundys, the bulldogs have 48hrs to settle the board or major sponsor is pulling out
Let’s hope so. Otherwise we’ll be hearing all of this disruptive shit until it is sorted.

Whether it’s true or not, it is damaging to have so much negativity.

Put yourself in a players shoes who was considering joining bulldogs or another club that doesn’t have a negative story written every few hours

Reactions: DT

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What do you get out of posting constant bullshit on here?

Hey Spoonman, his oil is even better than Nasheeds....just 3 of his gems below.:tearsofjoy:

Jackson Hastings has agreed with the bulldogs on 2 year deal.
Crotric and ado Carr have both agreed to come to bulldogs
Aiden tolman is heading to the dragons on a 1 year deal.
Harry grant is on a tug of war between tigers and bulldogs. Bellamy is close with dean pay, I think Bellamy will push grant to the bulldogs.
Been hearing Between Anthony griffin and Shaun Wayne as head coach Michael ennis as assistant coach. Nick Citric is a done deal. Also Alex Johnston is done deal. Souths are offloading Gagai for JAC.
Harry grant is a done deal as tigers can’t match $500k from the bulldogs.
Also Lachlan Lewis is off to Melbourne a player swap with one of there forwards.
Foran is getting a 1 year extension on around 500k. Elliot is off to st George on $650k.
CHN is staying with the bulldogs. He has come in terms with the bulldogs and will continue his contract. Apparently Phil Gould was involved with the decision and Trent Barrett gave him a phone call.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m sick of the obsession the press has with our club and the way they take with every opportunity to take pot shots at us.

Then again we provide them with the ammunition.

Bottom line is no one is going to cut us any slack or do us any favours.

So the fact we have individuals in our inner sanctum that are prepared to feed these vultures shows yet again the self interest that exists.

We need a no holds barred family stoush behind locked doors with a clear winner emerging and the loser departing quietly - only then can we move forward quickly.