News Both Storm Hookers Threaten to Leave if Smith plays on.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not holding my breath but rubbing my hands together.
Everyone knows Brandon Smiths Stance but Harry Grant announced on stage at Tigers presentation that if C Smith stays at storm he wants out.
I think I’d offer 800 or 900k/ year to Grant or 700k to B Smith. Something like that.Very important to Land one of these 2 now IMO.
Clearly the media is doing its best to make the Bulldogs a less desirable club to join. They're ensuring that we'll have to pay overs to sign any talent, and ensuring that their favourite teams get the edge.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Broncos would have larger brown paper bags than us.
They've topped up a few players but Boyd's retired and Fifita wasn't retained so they probably have some money to spend. As long as any of those clubs have enough money to pay overs it's likely we'll have to pay absurd amounts which I'm not necessarily against at this point for a top hooker.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some dickhead told me bellyache is gonna be at Brisbane on 2022 as head of football, don't rember who, I just smiled and nodded, then pissed off.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Why would you have close to the best coach in the NRL at your club, not coaching, so a newbie can be coach instead?

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a feeling...I can’t imagine him not having first say in who we select.
And why would be grant or Smith choose to come to out club with all the shit going on in the background and bad publicity about out club let alone playing eith a shit roster....you would have to offer them million dollar contracts and that st I wouldn't guarantee that they come to our club

Mightydogs

Waterboy
Reaction score
Could you imagine Barrett turning his back on us now that would be the final nail in the coffin ,no one would want to come here and why would ya

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Grant is the best option after watching Api however lets get Uncle Arthur to visit his family and throw a couple hotels at them.. The guy is awesone and Trent could help it happen..
Api, Burton, Crichton and Staines would be my recruitment strategy.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh! well that's the problem at the moment "Tbaz" is so busy tired up with the Panthers as assistant Coach he has no time to worry about us now, if Penrith make it to the GF that's another 4 weeks wasted for us, in the mean time players are coming on going on the market and we don't seem interested in anyone, by the time he has finished with Penrith it will be to late, we've let 8 players go and Cotric is the only decent signing we have to show for it, I hope by the time TBaz pulls his finger out that we will be able to field a decent 30man squad.
FFS we just can't seem to get of this mess - created by another wanna be failed coach who ripped us of big bucks.
TB will make a positive difference here for sure. Coach Cleary is just a man manager and TB is providing all the direction with their vastly improved attack. There is stuff happening behind the scenes no doubt since 8 players have been let go to clear space. With no new signings announced recently it points to the new recruits will be coming from the clubs in the final series and it's out of respect for them and their current clubs to not disrupt them while their teams are still involved. TB isn't stupid as he's getting a massive increase in salary and profile coming to the Dogs and he's not going to jeapordise his future and do nothing. Our board and their plebs will do the legwork under TB's instructions re recruitment.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
TB will make a positive difference here for sure. Coach Cleary is just a man manager and TB is providing all the direction with their vastly improved attack. There is stuff happening behind the scenes no doubt since 8 players have been let go to clear space. With no new signings announced recently it points to the new recruits will be coming from the clubs in the final series and it's out of respect for them and their current clubs to not disrupt them while their teams are still involved. TB isn't stupid as he's getting a massive increase in salary and profile coming to the Dogs and he's not going to jeapordise his future and do nothing. Our board and their plebs will do the legwork under TB's instructions re recruitment.
And anyway its probably realistic to only have high, yet realistic, expectations for TB and the team next year. We aren't probably going to secure any real top players as yet.

TB has to not only teach them so many attacking, positional, fitness, handling basics but also unteach the loser mentality and their "muscle memory go to" of Desball when under pressure.

That will take time and wont be easy.

I'll be happy to see the slow evolution in style of play and the sound basics, as a foundation, that TB should bring.

From there we will build and look a much better footy team.

One that players will want to come to.

(I just hope he picks the players where TK thinks best ;)...he does that he'll be popular on here)

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Grant is the best option after watching Api however lets get Uncle Arthur to visit his family and throw a couple hotels at them.. The guy is awesone and Trent could help it happen..
Api, Burton, Crichton and Staines would be my recruitment strategy.
Agree about grant, but you'd think tigers would get first chance to get him. Unless he hated it there lol.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And anyway its probably realistic to only have high, yet realistic, expectations for TB and the team next year. We aren't probably going to secure any real top players as yet.

TB has to not only teach them so many attacking, positional, fitness, handling basics but also unteach the loser mentality and their "muscle memory go to" of Desball when under pressure.

That will take time and wont be easy.

I'll be happy to see the slow evolution in style of play and the sound basics, as a foundation, that TB should bring.

From there we will build and look a much better footy team.

One that players will want to come to.

(I just hope he picks the players where TK thinks best ;)...he does that he'll be popular on here)
I'm not expecting TB to perform miracles like winning a GF next year but prefer for us to go back to the Entertainers of 79 and 80 where we used skill, passing and teamwork rather than the mind numbing boring crap we've played since 2014. Back then it was largely due to Turvey and co but he had the ability to play what was in front of him and create tries from nothing. Today our players run the slow, premeditated and predictable block plays and decoy rubbish. They are incapable of doing the basics you mentioned above which a typical reserve grade side can do with ease. There are no proven elite spine players off contract this year so that only leaves the middle tier and unproven younger players. I'll even offer Benji a low $$ offer since it is clear Lewis and Wakeham are duds and have to be taught how to play from scatch. That being the case it's much better to develop Arvo into a half since he has natural skill and pace which our dud halves don't. A Green, Benji and Arvo halves option is far better than Lewis and Wakeham.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm not expecting TB to perform miracles like winning a GF next year but prefer for us to go back to the Entertainers of 79 and 80 where we used skill, passing and teamwork rather than the mind numbing boring crap we've played since 2014. Back then it was largely due to Turvey and co but he had the ability to play what was in front of him and create tries from nothing. Today our players run the slow, premeditated and predictable block plays and decoy rubbish. They are incapable of doing the basics you mentioned above which a typical reserve grade side can do with ease. There are no proven elite spine players off contract this year so that only leaves the middle tier and unproven younger players. I'll even offer Benji a low $$ offer since it is clear Lewis and Wakeham are duds and have to be taught how to play from scatch. That being the case it's much better to develop Arvo into a half since he has natural skill and pace which our dud halves don't. A Green, Benji and Arvo halves option is far better than Lewis and Wakeham.
It's Green and Averillo next year. That only changes if we sign Burton and Averillo will have to bide his time for another year. While Green is out injured Lewis will start in the Halves (obviously unless we sign Burton). Wakeham's done himself no favours this year. There's no point signing two experienced Halves (that are stop gaps, it's counter productive). We need to develop one inexperienced half alongside an experienced one.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's Green and Averillo next year. That only changes if we sign Burton and Averillo will have to bide his time for another year. While Green is out injured Lewis will start in the Halves (obviously unless we sign Burton). Wakeham's done himself no favours this year. There's no point signing two experienced Halves (that are stop gaps, it's counter productive). We need to develop one inexperienced half alongside an experienced one.
It's called contingency plan. Benji would be a good half on low $$ since Green is out injured for months. When Green is back and assuming he'll be the first choice half Benji would still be a good bench player and even a dummy half if we can't get B Smith or a good hooker. JMK is inconsistent and Lewis and Wakeham should never play as halves again unless Green, Arvo etc else are all injured. Lewis and Wakeham have shown consistently that they are not up to NRL, no vision, no speed, poor passing and they do not run to the line and threaten the defence. The opposition defence are in cruise control when Lewis and Wakeham have the ball.