TARGETS: Who Barrett wants in, and out, At Bulldogs (Daily Telegraph)

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL 2020: Trent Barrett dumps Canterbury Bulldogs coaching staff, eyes Panther

Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph
August 12, 2020 5:50pm

New Canterbury coach Trent Barrett will dump his coaching staff.

In a shock development, the Bulldogs are expected to cut current interim coach Steve Georgallis, head of high performance, Tony Ayoub, and two strength and conditioning coaches, Harry Harris and Tony Grimaldi.
They were all off contract, Barrett forced to either extend or move the club in another direction. He will bring in his own coaching and backroom team.

Trent Barrett will bring his own coaching staff to Belmore next year. Picture: Getty Images

The development will rock Canterbury, although insiders insist change is needed with the club running last on the NRL competition table.

Gold Coast head of high performance, Dan Ferris, is expected to join Barrett at Belmore. Barrett and Ferris worked together at Manly.
Georgallis, an assistant coach who took over from sacked Dean Pay on July 14, has applied for the vacant North Queensland coaching job.
The cull started last weekend when veteran trainer Garry Carden — deemed by players as the “the heart and soul” of the club – was dumped.
A month earlier, when Pay was dumped, assistant coach Steve Antonelli quit.
Those close to the club believe Barrett and his new coaching staff will bring a more flamboyant playing style next season.

Interim Bulldogs coach Steve Georgallis won’t be part of Trent Barrett’s coaching staff next season. Picture: Phil Hillyard

Ayoub is an experienced trainer – he worked with the Australian Kangaroos — Harris is highly regarded, while Grimaldi is a former Bulldogs forward.
Harris and Ayoub have had two stints at the Bulldogs while Grimaldi played 119 NRL matches for Canterbury between 1996 and 1998 and then again between 2002 and 2006.
The Bulldogs, meanwhile, have discussed signing Brisbane forward Tevita Pangai. Canterbury has been quietly circling Pangai for more than a year.
The Bulldogs revealed on Monday that forward Adam Elliott had re-signed for a further three years.

Adam Elliott has re-signed with the Bulldogs. Picture: AAP

“Adam has become a fantastic leader at Belmore and when he runs onto the field for the Bulldogs you can feel the passion he has for the club,” Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill said.
“He had also shown during the early part of this season that he was one of the form back-rowers in the competition.”

Teammate Dylan Napa added: “He’s a quality player, our best all year.”
There is also ongoing speculation Canterbury is interested in Penrith five-eighth Matt Burton, a gun player unable to crack a spot in the table-topping Panthers side.
Approaching Burton may be awkward though given Barrett is still an assistant coach at Penrith.
Thanks for this

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I've discussed elsewhere in deleted posts.

There HAS been an approach to Burton. That approach has led to Deep's discussions with Burton. I don't know beyond that.

There is a trick the dogs are able to pull. The club can always send in the leagues club to do their bidding, this however is also the base of many internal squabbles so it could go pear shaped. But if they work together they can pull legal David copperfield shit by proxy, and it's my understanding this is what's happening. My Insider only knows 70% of the story.

But what yiu can take from it is the dogs are after him.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I've discussed elsewhere in deleted posts.

There HAS been an approach to Burton. That approach has led to Deep's discussions with Burton. I don't know beyond that.

There is a trick the dogs are able to pull. The club can always send in the leagues club to do their bidding, this however is also the base of many internal squabbles so it could go pear shaped. But if they work together they can pull legal David copperfield shit by proxy, and it's my understanding this is what's happening. My Insider only knows 70% of the story.

But what yiu can take from it is the dogs are after him.
I will believe you Nasheed because without hope what do we have.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wow, the article hasn't been posted yet
Anyway, I'm gonna treat this news the same way a hillbilly Trump supporter treat any news they hear...
If it news I like, I'll believe it (even if it's BS)
If it news I don't like, then clearly its "fayk nooz"
Some leftie over there claimed that Trump had all the media on his side haha. America is messed up

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Read in another article (Western Weekender?) that Burton is about to extend at Penrith and willing to bide his time....

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read in another article (Western Weekender?) that Burton is about to extend at Penrith and willing to bide his time....
With Cleary at 22 and Luai at 23 he will be biding his time for a while. He’d probably be turning down a few hundred thousand dollars a year and a chance to earn more by playing more. If he does that he must just play for the love of the game and Panthers

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Cleary at 22 and Luai at 23 he will be biding his time for a while. He’d probably be turning down a few hundred thousand dollars a year and a chance to earn more by playing more. If he does that he must just play for the love of the game and Panthers
Or maybe he just doesn’t want to burn his bridges now during the season. Panthers are in hot form and he’s next man up of there is an injury.
Come Nov 1 I wouldn’t be surprised if we make an offer and then he comes across a year early.
There really is no sensible reason for him to re-sign with the Panthers now

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or maybe he just doesn’t want to burn his bridges now during the season. Panthers are in hot form and he’s next man up of there is an injury.
Come Nov 1 I wouldn’t be surprised if we make an offer and then he comes across a year early.
There really is no sensible reason for him to re-sign with the Panthers now
Agree 100%

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Trent barrett:
'Get me the guy that oversees the Gold Coast football team, he is the key'.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What if we sign burton on a one year loan deal seeing as though he isn’t getting any fg action soon barring injuries
I hate the idea of a loan deal. It hardly helped the Tigers with Grant and it only benefits the loaning club long term.. If the Tigers didn't loan Grant, he would have been so disgruntled with not playing at all this season that he would have been on the market for a permanent move..

We need to exploit the lack of playing time for Burton and try and sign him for next season or make him a huge offer for 2022 and hope that Penrith release him early.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I still don't understand why barrett would be frothing for Burton if he doesn't use him at Penrith.
Leui is good but he is no Quentin pongia.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think there's no secret why Penrith are humming is because Barrett has given them confidence and direction with plays