A lot of phone calls from Baz': How Barrett convinced Elliott to stay at Bulldogs

Tas Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Adam Elliott said it was the numerous phone calls from incoming Canterbury coach Trent Barrett that helped him spurn big-money offers from the New Zealand Warriors and St George Illawarra to extend his Bulldogs deal by three seasons.
Barrett does not start his new post at Belmore for another few months but worked overtime on Elliott to convince him he would play a key role at the club moving forward.
Adam Elliott revealed several phone calls with Trent Barrett convinced him to stay put at Canterbury.

The pair quickly established they were St Gregory's College alumni, and Elliott could not help but get swept away by Barrett's vision and enthusiasm.
At one stage Canterbury were offering nearly $200,000 less than what the Warriors were prepared to throw at him, but they eventually dug deep to keep the 25-year-old who grew up a Canterbury supporter and made it known he had taken less to stay out of loyalty three years earlier.

A move to Auckland would also have been tough on Elliott's older brother James, who has autism and showed some rare emotion to express his sadness at seeing his sibling and new nephew re-locate to Auckland.
Adam Elliott during his St Gregory's College days.

Adam Elliott during his St Gregory's College days.CREDIT:ST GREGORY'S COLLEGE

"The difference in deals was a fair chunk, but then there were a lot of phone calls from 'Baz','' Elliott told the Herald.
"I hadn't had anything to do with him beforehand. We were both St Greg's boys, and that came up with the first conversation we had.
"He would have been the captain of the footy team. I was, too. I always remember the honour board at school and seeing all the Australian Schoolboys, including Baz, James Tedesco, then I came after 'Teddy'.

"I could tell Baz wasn't bullshitting me. He spoke about my game, the way he wants to use me next year, and it was the first time I had had a conversation with someone about being a marquee player in our squad.
Trent Barrett was also St Gregory's College alumni.

Trent Barrett was also St Gregory's College alumni.CREDIT:ST GREGORY'S COLLEGE

"He said to me, 'mate, we can't lose you, I need you in this team, please stay'. I thought, 'this is unreal'.
"The moment he came on board I heard really good things about him from blokes at Manly and Penrith. He had a great reputation. Before he was announced I had a foot out the door."
Canberra had discussed luring Elliott, and were even interested before the August 3 deadline once they received cap dispensation for John Bateman's shoulder injury suffered on international duty. The Wests Tigers also showed an interest.

The Dragons would have allowed Elliott, his partner Robyn and newborn son Lennex remain close to family, including James.
"But I thought if I was going to leave the Bulldogs it wasn't going to be the Dragons because I didn't want another club going through similar dramas we were already going through,'' Elliott said.
Three more years ... Bulldogs back-rower Adam Elliott.

Three more years ... Bulldogs back-rower Adam Elliott.CREDIT:GETTY

"I wanted to be at a club I could better myself, and I couldn't see myself developing there."
Elliott has always thrown his support behind autism because of his brother, and when he initially told James about the possible Warriors move, it was heartbreaking.

"My brother doesn't show much emotion, but when I told him I was going to New Zealand, I could tell he was really bummed," Elliott said.

"With him being a new uncle as well, he was so stoked about that, so it would have been hard for me to take Lennex away from him straight away."

Elliott, who is sidelined until the end of the year with a torn pectoral muscle, hopes the club moves quickly on re-signing Kieran Foran and said: "He's told me he's found a home off the field now with us boys, and he says he gets that same vibe he had at Manly back in the day."

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I always thought Elliott would be a player Baz would like. He'll have lots planned for him as a ball playing lock.

I hope the club didn't pay too much for Elliott but now that he's re-signed I'll be hoping he can show more of his form that he showed this year and develop some consistency under Barrett..

Either way it's good to see the influence Barrett has and the relationship he develops with players.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I always thought Elliott would be a player Baz would like. He'll have lots planned for him as a ball playing lock.

I hope the club didn't pay too much for Elliott but now that he's re-signed I'll be hoping he can show more of his form that he showed this year and develop some consistency under Barrett..

Either way it's good to see the influence Barrett has and the relationship he develops with players.
I think he will move to the edge.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Because of Thompson?
Because our edges are terrible. We don't have a ball player or reliable line runner out there and our backs are struggling hard because of it. Elliott is probably the best of our forwards at running a line and is capable of moving the ball on like some of the better edge backrowers.

Thompson...lol don't get me started on Thompson again. I genuinely think he's better suited to the edge than middle in the NRL, sort of have him our wide in a Boyd Cordner type role running aggressive lines but with the added pace and footwork. Through the middle he looks dead average and I could honestly pick at least 1 prop from every club I'd rather have over him lol.

well done

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lol wow Elliott loves to talk!
That sounds so much better then , Raiders pulled out cause he got injured and they got better offers

And no club was offering anywhere near what the dogs were
Poor old Adam had a reality check, he might be a " star and mega star" here but he is a benchie at other clubs

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Because our edges are terrible. We don't have a ball player or reliable line runner out there and our backs are struggling hard because of it. Elliott is probably the best of our forwards at running a line and is capable of moving the ball on like some of the better edge backrowers.

Thompson...lol don't get me started on Thompson again. I genuinely think he's better suited to the edge than middle in the NRL, sort of have him our wide in a Boyd Cordner type role running aggressive lines but with the added pace and footwork. Through the middle he looks dead average and I could honestly pick at least 1 prop from every club I'd rather have over him lol.
You're still hopeful on Jackson into the middle?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have a go at him a fair bit, but pretty hearty to stay for less cash.
I think cash is part but not wanting to move to NZ would have played a big part. St George would be a sideways/backwards move as well, so if money was similar it's understandable him staying.

well done

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have a go at him a fair bit, but pretty hearty to stay for less cash.
The only club offering more were the warriors , and they don't even know where they are based next season

Dragons pulled out- thus the dig at them lol

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hope we didn’t pay overs.

But in saying that he is a player every club needs. Not saying he is a gun. But he is just that hard nosed. Gets in it, I think Thompson would love running out with him. To have another niggler by his side.

they would feed off each other. Shame back in the days we had mason, omeley, asotasi, sonny bill running off each other. And these days it’s tolman, Napa and Thompson. Severely lacking grunt in the engine room.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is @utility half still out celebrating? Probably in the middle of a three day bender after his man got re-signed, one day for each year.

Also, how is the cognitive dissonance going TK? Does Barret's efforts to keep AElliott mean Adam is a good player or Baz a poor judge? Sack Baz?