News NRL legend Ben Elias blasts Canterbury Bulldogs’ Board for broken promises

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
NRL legend Ben Elias has blasted the Canterbury Bulldogs’ Board for failing to deliver on their nine-pillar promise from when they were elected.

The Bulldogs are in dire straits after recording only one victory in the first nine rounds of the 2020 season, cementing the club in bottom spot on the NRL ladder.

After weeks of speculation, head coach Dean Pay revealed he had resigned from his position after being told he would not be needed next season.

The club is yet to announce a replacement, but Steve Georgallis will step in as interim coach until a full-time appointment is revealed.

Speaking on Fox League’s NRL 360, Elias claimed the Bulldogs Board had “failed” to fulfil the promises pitched to voting members, which included engaging with fans, introducing proper governance and bringing respect back to the club.

“(The Board) did a very big campaign to get in,” Elias said on Wednesday.

“They had a nine-pillar plan to change the Bulldogs, upside down, inside out.

“You review all that, and they have failed. They get a big fat fail.”
The former New South Wales representative also revealed how the struggling club had lost the trust of their fanbase.

“I know a lot of very passionate Bulldogs supporters, and they always say to me, ‘Next time you’re on NRL 360, make sure to give the Bulldogs a go’,” Elias said.

“They’re so upset about what they did to vote for this regime to be in there.

“It starts at the very top. You’ve got to be accountable, and you’ve got to take responsibility.

“One of the senior players today — I won’t mention his name — came out and said, ‘We don’t even know what’s happening at the very top’.

“They don’t know who their coach is going to be next year. They’re walking into the wilderness. They don’t know what they’re doing.

“If you expect to get any success out of that formula, you are joking.”

Manly Sea Eagles great Geoffrey Toovey echoed Elias’ comments, claiming: “From the fans’ view, nothing seems to be changing at a drastic rate.

“They need to make some really big changes now.”

Earlier on Wednesday, Bulldogs veteran Aiden Tolman urged the Canterbury Board to make a quick decision on the club’s next coach.

“I don’t think the players need to get involved in Board goings-on, but I will say that leadership starts at the top of places and we need that to filter down,” Tolman said.

“I’m not saying what they’ve done is right or wrong. But I am saying that we have some clear clarity now in the direction that we’re moving.

“We want to be moving in the same direction as a whole club. For me, when they think the right candidate as a new coach is there, then they can make that decision. Then we can sort out lots of other things that are going on.”

Canterbury will face the St. George Illawarra Dragons on Saturday afternoon at WIN Stadium in Wollongong.
Just as I said with Tolman. The idiot came out and talked about the board and now that's being used by people against us.

Unbelievably naive choice for him to make, and it's going to bite him in the arse.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Man I was really dying for Benny Elias' view on matters... It's good to know he's alive and well. Actually no, it isn't really..
I have been having panic attacks due to not knowing what he thought. I too am relieved to hear his opinion.

I'm hoping that the players develop a siege mentality and use that us against the world feeling as motivation to turn the season around.

If we'd kept Pay in charge for another year I'd have accepted the decision and supported him. He hasn't achieved much except for the two late season charges. But he's hardly had a great roster at his disposal. But the fact that last year we had a run against a number of top 8 sides to scrape our way to within a couple of points of the 8 shows that we should have had the cattle to have won at least 1/4 to 1/3 of our games. But we've become the whipping boys of the game. So while we can't replace 30 players at once, maybe a new coach will alter the team dynamic and get more from those we have here now.

capk07

New Pup
Reaction score
Benny and Toovey commenting on a any committee ,when you see how there clubs have been run over the last 10 years what a joke. Paul Kent is just bags the club every time he talks about us.He is only going on about bad Corey was treated so he will leave and join Kents mate Ricky at Canberra .

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah because he was so wide off the mark here :|
I'm not talking about WHAT he was talking about.

He even tried to talk shit here, with his " a senior player but I won't name names" shite lol. EVERYONE knows it was Tolman Benny you shit dribbler. It's like he was trying to make it out like he had some big scoop about a senior player LOL.

He talks SHIT.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
they were elected on a promise of a "9 pillar" plan and haven't achieved even one of those yet.
I know what the 9 pillars are, can you please list them and tell us what they haven’t achieved against each one?

Go Dogs

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The key words in this artical are they need to be accountable, but all we get is excuses and PR spin.

The scary part, is there is not the required level of business accument and executive level experience at CEO and board level to realisticly move us past this mess. It is only going to get worse under this board.

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We have been here before....it does not bother us, its the players who need to stand up and play some winning footy.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOLLLLL why because they're both Lebanese? or could it be that everything that was said in tonight's episode of NRL360 was pretty spot on? hows that 9 pillar plan going? because as they highlighted NOT one of those promised pillars have been achieved, but hey it's because benny and the other members are friends with Dib
Firstly I have nothing against Lebanese,secondly I don’t have foxtel,and if u read some of my responses on this forum,u would see that ,I want this board out the door,ASAP,so talk facts instead of dribble.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is Paul Kent, Hooper Ikin and almost every other media person also close friends with Dib?

Add current board members who have turned on them and also the powerbrokers that helped them get voted in.

Dib shit must have alot of Mates.

Why has not one person come out in support of the current board if they were doing such a fantastic job?
I have been calling for this board to resign,for over a year,our club has become a complete rabble,Benny Elias is entitled to his opinion,I just don’t respect his opinion,as for Dib, maybe your mates with him ,who cares,he’s history

Malla

Reaction score
I hate the flog but he's probably right this time.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just as I said with Tolman. The idiot came out and talked about the board and now that's being used by people against us.

Unbelievably naive choice for him to make, and it's going to bite him in the arse.
Ordinarily I’d agree with you, you keep that s*it in-house and don’t give the media another reason to write stories. But Tolman is part of the leadership group, well-versed in how to talk to journalists and being diplomatic. So for him to insinuate the clubs leadership is below par, it’s obviously reached boiling point and that should set off alarm bells. Id guess he’s echoing what a lot of the playing group may be thinking as well.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ordinarily I’d agree with you, you keep that s*it in-house and don’t give the media another reason to write stories. But Tolman is part of the leadership group, well-versed in how to talk to journalists and being diplomatic. So for him to insinuate the clubs leadership is below par, it’s obviously reached boiling point and that should set off alarm bells. Id guess he’s echoing what a lot of the playing group may be thinking as well.
And he managed to say it as diplomatically as possible, which can be really hard to do with a microphone waving around under your nose.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been having panic attacks due to not knowing what he thought. I too am relieved to hear his opinion.

I'm hoping that the players develop a siege mentality and use that us against the world feeling as motivation to turn the season around.

If we'd kept Pay in charge for another year I'd have accepted the decision and supported him. He hasn't achieved much except for the two late season charges. But he's hardly had a great roster at his disposal. But the fact that last year we had a run against a number of top 8 sides to scrape our way to within a couple of points of the 8 shows that we should have had the cattle to have won at least 1/4 to 1/3 of our games. But we've become the whipping boys of the game. So while we can't replace 30 players at once, maybe a new coach will alter the team dynamic and get more from those we have here now.
I totally agree with your thoughts, it was easy to create that type of mentality in Melbourne, and Bellamy was obviously very good at it, 1 team isolated from the main stream Rl strong hold.
But as much as I would like to see that siege mentality within our club, it is going to be difficult considering our club geographical position, a very hostile media, and many other factors.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Giving Hasler too much power.

Giving Hasler sole control over recruitment.

Leaving Ralene as CEO for years.

Not acting when Hasler totally fucked up.

The guy handed his entire job over to Hasler.

Yeah his one mistake was not doing his job at all and letting Hasler run the club for him.

Big fucking mistake.
Agree, he fell for Hasler and allowed him to do as he pleased.
Fellow supporters...There is no need to abuse each other to express an opinion :grinning:
Guys we have got it all wrong about who originally signed Hasler in total control...Greenberg did !
Greenberg was the CEO and Dib was only a board member.
Yes under Dib's watch Castle was signed to replace Greenberg, Hell...the ARU made the same mistake !!!
Dib negotiated with Hasler for 18 months until he stripped him from his powers and sacked all his cronies.
Before resigning him
3 times Dib consulted the playing group, they shouldered the blame for the bad form, are we surprised ?
and that is after Hasler had promised "he would change the boring playing style" but never did.
After losing the election Dib said "I shouldn't have trusted some people ". We all know why now !!!

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Every time I hear the little grubs name I think of the old chant, “Benny’s a wanker”