News NRL legend Ben Elias blasts Canterbury Bulldogs’ Board for broken promises

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL legend Ben Elias has blasted the Canterbury Bulldogs’ Board for failing to deliver on their nine-pillar promise from when they were elected.

The Bulldogs are in dire straits after recording only one victory in the first nine rounds of the 2020 season, cementing the club in bottom spot on the NRL ladder.

After weeks of speculation, head coach Dean Pay revealed he had resigned from his position after being told he would not be needed next season.

The club is yet to announce a replacement, but Steve Georgallis will step in as interim coach until a full-time appointment is revealed.

Speaking on Fox League’s NRL 360, Elias claimed the Bulldogs Board had “failed” to fulfil the promises pitched to voting members, which included engaging with fans, introducing proper governance and bringing respect back to the club.

“(The Board) did a very big campaign to get in,” Elias said on Wednesday.

“They had a nine-pillar plan to change the Bulldogs, upside down, inside out.

“You review all that, and they have failed. They get a big fat fail.”
The former New South Wales representative also revealed how the struggling club had lost the trust of their fanbase.

“I know a lot of very passionate Bulldogs supporters, and they always say to me, ‘Next time you’re on NRL 360, make sure to give the Bulldogs a go’,” Elias said.

“They’re so upset about what they did to vote for this regime to be in there.

“It starts at the very top. You’ve got to be accountable, and you’ve got to take responsibility.

“One of the senior players today — I won’t mention his name — came out and said, ‘We don’t even know what’s happening at the very top’.

“They don’t know who their coach is going to be next year. They’re walking into the wilderness. They don’t know what they’re doing.

“If you expect to get any success out of that formula, you are joking.”

Manly Sea Eagles great Geoffrey Toovey echoed Elias’ comments, claiming: “From the fans’ view, nothing seems to be changing at a drastic rate.

“They need to make some really big changes now.”

Earlier on Wednesday, Bulldogs veteran Aiden Tolman urged the Canterbury Board to make a quick decision on the club’s next coach.

“I don’t think the players need to get involved in Board goings-on, but I will say that leadership starts at the top of places and we need that to filter down,” Tolman said.

“I’m not saying what they’ve done is right or wrong. But I am saying that we have some clear clarity now in the direction that we’re moving.

“We want to be moving in the same direction as a whole club. For me, when they think the right candidate as a new coach is there, then they can make that decision. Then we can sort out lots of other things that are going on.”

Canterbury will face the St. George Illawarra Dragons on Saturday afternoon at WIN Stadium in Wollongong.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He talks some of the most embarrassing dribble on NRL 360 lol.

I dont know who's worse, Elias, Blocka or Braith.

Reactions: DT

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The blowtorch is right on the board and CEO. Can’t see it moving until some big decisions are made and publicised

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For a massive dribbler it’s actually the first time he make any sort of sense and fact

still a massive wanker
Nrl legend my arse

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Man I was really dying for Benny Elias' view on matters... It's good to know he's alive and well. Actually no, it isn't really..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I want to know what Sam Burgess thinks!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The media and News Ltd especially really are pumping out the anti-Bulldogs content every day. They're lapping it up. Almost all of it rehashes the same shit but that won't stop them.

Although the club can't really complain when they created this situation and leave themselves open to such negative press.

The sooner they confirm a coach and make some good signings, the quicker the talking heads will shut up with their hot takes.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The media and News Ltd especially really are pumping out the anti-Bulldogs content every day. They're lapping it up. Almost all of it rehashes the same shit but that won't stop them.

Although the club can't really complain when they created this situation and leave themselves open to such negative press.

The sooner they confirm a coach and make some good signings, the quicker the talking heads will shut up with their hot takes. Not that they need any excuse to kick the boot in..
I'm waiting for the "what players can Barrett bring with him" articles.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Like we'd be able to understand him. He sounds like he has five cocks in his mouth when he talks.
You know what having 5 cocks in your mouth sounds like? ;)

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the "what players can Barrett bring with him" articles.
Yeah that's my point. The minute they appoint a coach, the media will move on from Pay and then they'll go back to linking us with every player. At least the press won't be as negative. Unless they completely fuck up our cap on duds.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
WTF has Benny Elias ever had to do with us?

He can just F@#K OFF.

If they want to be serious get a Mortimer, or Andrew Ryan or Lamb or even Simon Gilles but Elias? FUCK OFF.

Talk about scrapping the bottom of the barrel for has beens who want to stay relevant

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

The sooner they confirm a coach and make some good signings, the quicker the talking heads will shut up with their hot takes.
You say that but the Warriors have just been through a similar situation.

They weren't treated like the media is treating us.

What is their agenda with us?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
WTF has Benny Elias ever had to do with us?

He can just F@#K OFF.

If they want to be serious get a Mortimer, or Andrew Ryan or Lamb or even Simon Gilles but Elias? FUCK OFF.

Talk about scrapping the bottom of the barrel for has beens who want to stay relevant
That's what pisses me off, where are the club legends at least explaining why Pay was sacked or that we have a tonne of cap space etc?

The Andersons and Hill clearly have done a horrible job and deserve criticism but this is basically a political campaign from the media against us at the moment and we need some positive press.