News Senior Bulldogs put the blame back on players following Dean Pay exit

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Senior Bulldogs Aiden Tolman and Josh Jackson have sung the praises of former coach Dean Pay, a day after the club great stepped down as coach.

It's widely believed Pay jumped before he was pushed, with reports circulating he was out of favour with the club board who are looking at bringing in Panthers assistant and former Manly coach Trent Barrett.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, veteran forward Tolman said the playing group's on field efforts weren't a reflection of the quality of Pay's coaching.

"I feel for Dean, he’s been here and he’s done his best, us as players haven’t performed well and we need to take some responsibility as well," Tolman said.

“We underperformed, we didn’t win games and that’s just not Dean’s fault, it’s us as a playing group and us as a club and we didn’t support him enough in that time, so I feel disappointed because of that."

Many pundits have suggested Pay was unlucky to be let go given the difficulties he faced stepping into the role - having to work through salary cap dramas amid backroom drama and a poor squad.

The coach also had to deal with several off-field dramas, including a scandal that ruled Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor out for the start of the season.

While neither Tolman or Jackson would be drawn on whether Pay had been hard done by, the former said the players simply haven't performed at the level they're capable.

People say that we’re undermanned, but we are still good enough to win footy games and challenge the best teams and we haven’t been doing that all season," Tolman said.

"I get a bit tired of people saying we don’t have the squad, because we can win footy games, we can beat good teams when we put in good performances, so that’s why it’s been incredibly frustrating this season."

Club captain Jackson echoed those sentiments, turning the blame back on the players for the run of results that has left the Bulldogs on the bottom of the ladder with one win.

"He was a great coach, our performance just didn’t live up to the level in which he was coaching us at," the backrower said.

I know the performances this year haven’t been up to scratch but I felt like as a group we were certainly moving in the right direction and I would have loved Dean to be a part of this club and to have been the coach of this club when we enjoyed a little bit of success.

"That success, which is just around the corner, a lot of it can be attributed to Dean’s influence on this group."

As for who might lead the club into the future, the players said they haven't been consulted on the board's search for a new coach, but are backing interim Steve Georgallis to steer the ship in the meantime.

"Steve Georgallis has taken over as interim coach and he’s going to do a great job for us, he guided our NSW cup to a premiership a few years ago," Tolman said.

"He’s been around a while, he’s a smart coach, he knows what he needs to do to get us up for a game.

"If we go well this season I don’t understand why he shouldn’t be putting his resume forward to take over the top job as well."

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I want to hear what DWZ has to say about this

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What else would they say?

"he's clueless, rudderless and couldn't devise a solid game plan to save his skin. Had he played players in their preferred positions, we might have had a chance"

Bulldog Joe

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I am sick of these players endorsing Pay but turning up and delivering country rugby league performances, maybe they should quit too!
These guys would not be picked up by rival clubs especially Tolman.

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is all well and go to say. But get out there and freaking start to win or left with Pay

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
said similar things when Hasler left... the playing squad is not good enough

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
This quote was interesting;

"If we go well this season I don’t understand why he shouldn’t be putting his resume forward to take over the top job as well."

So obviously Jackson isn't aware that Barrett is supposedly coming...

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tolman admitted the attack under Pay was clunky and they didn’t adjust (or as Renouf put it, didn’t train for the changes with ruck speed)

Stevie G has immediately focussed his first couple of days on attack

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What’s the chances we can look like a team after the crap we have fished out all year?
I for one will be upset if we look decent as it meant pays poor selections sabotaged our whole season,anyways blue and white till I die let’s hope we can make the media and other teams eat kaka for the remainder of the season.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can we sign a new coach already so we don't have to keep reading twenty new stories a day about Pay?

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
And that was the problem jacko the playing group loved pay great bloke blah blah blah but you’ve just admitted that as a group you didn’t respect him enough to play your best football for him!!??
You all need to shut the fuck up and start earning your pay packets and showing the jersey some respect

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go back recently and watch remis smith and how much he doesn’t give a fuck about anything .. sack the **** back to the wing he isn’t and won’t ever be a center. Unfortunately a lot of the points have been leaked by playing wingers in center r.e Holland Montoya Smith etc

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This quote was interesting;

So obviously Jackson isn't aware that Barrett is supposedly coming...
Dogs targeting Griffin

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Senior Bulldogs Aiden Tolman and Josh Jackson have sung the praises of former coach Dean Pay, a day after the club great stepped down as coach.

It's widely believed Pay jumped before he was pushed, with reports circulating he was out of favour with the club board who are looking at bringing in Panthers assistant and former Manly coach Trent Barrett.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, veteran forward Tolman said the playing group's on field efforts weren't a reflection of the quality of Pay's coaching.

"I feel for Dean, he’s been here and he’s done his best, us as players haven’t performed well and we need to take some responsibility as well," Tolman said.

“We underperformed, we didn’t win games and that’s just not Dean’s fault, it’s us as a playing group and us as a club and we didn’t support him enough in that time, so I feel disappointed because of that."

Many pundits have suggested Pay was unlucky to be let go given the difficulties he faced stepping into the role - having to work through salary cap dramas amid backroom drama and a poor squad.

The coach also had to deal with several off-field dramas, including a scandal that ruled Corey Harawira-Naera and Jayden Okunbor out for the start of the season.

While neither Tolman or Jackson would be drawn on whether Pay had been hard done by, the former said the players simply haven't performed at the level they're capable.

People say that we’re undermanned, but we are still good enough to win footy games and challenge the best teams and we haven’t been doing that all season," Tolman said.

"I get a bit tired of people saying we don’t have the squad, because we can win footy games, we can beat good teams when we put in good performances, so that’s why it’s been incredibly frustrating this season."

Club captain Jackson echoed those sentiments, turning the blame back on the players for the run of results that has left the Bulldogs on the bottom of the ladder with one win.

"He was a great coach, our performance just didn’t live up to the level in which he was coaching us at," the backrower said.

I know the performances this year haven’t been up to scratch but I felt like as a group we were certainly moving in the right direction and I would have loved Dean to be a part of this club and to have been the coach of this club when we enjoyed a little bit of success.

"That success, which is just around the corner, a lot of it can be attributed to Dean’s influence on this group."

As for who might lead the club into the future, the players said they haven't been consulted on the board's search for a new coach, but are backing interim Steve Georgallis to steer the ship in the meantime.

"Steve Georgallis has taken over as interim coach and he’s going to do a great job for us, he guided our NSW cup to a premiership a few years ago," Tolman said.

"He’s been around a while, he’s a smart coach, he knows what he needs to do to get us up for a game.

They said the same thing about Hasler...
Maybe we should have sacked the players and kept Pay :fearscream:
Management got it wrong again :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Maybe they should quit :rage::rage::rage:

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And that was the problem jacko the playing group loved pay great bloke blah blah blah but you’ve just admitted that as a group you didn’t respect him enough to play your best football for him!!??
You all need to shut the fuck up and start earning your pay packets and showing the jersey some respect
Jackson's response:

"but but but if I did that, I couldn't maximise my earning potential because I've been on the decline since 2018. No other club would offer me half of what I'm currently on other than the dogs"

Or something like that