Canterbury coach: Dean Pay dumped as Trent Barrett and Bulldogs move closer to three-year contract

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Give Stevie G a few games first. See if hew can pull something out of his Greek arse

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fuck that. If we make offers that those Penrith players can't refuse then they can't do anything to keep them against their will.

It defeats the purpose of signing a coach with such links if we can't recruit from one of the 15 other clubs that has more talent that they can play. What difference does it make to Penrith if Burton joins us or the Titans? Either way they can't keep everyone..

They didn't complain when we took Dallin and CHN off their hands.. I hope this is all bullshit and there's no such verbal agreement in place. It's a business and a competition and there is no place for sentiment.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
If Barrett comes over he knows already which young guns he wants from Penrith that are available. He just wont officially contact them until he leaves Penrith and then it's on.
I'd go one step closer and if I was him that before I decided to sign with the dogs I would chat on the quiet with a few of these players and see if their keen. Would help make an informed decision.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Barrett comes over he knows already which young guns he wants from Penrith that are available. He just wont officially contact them until he leaves Penrith and then it's on.
Penrith can fuck off - as if they have the right to tell us what to do. They were negotiating with Clearly while he was still at the Tigers and they now expect us to be good little boys and not return the favour. Piss off you hypocrites
Also, Barrett doesn't have to contact them directly - we can do it for him. If the club is smart, they should even start doing it before he signs. If he says talk to Burton, then Hill can do it. If Penrith find out, WHO GIVES A FUCK
I don't think Penrith will let Burton go but if we sign him in Novemebr this year for 2022 that will put pressure on them and they may release him early

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let’s hope he does exactly that.!!!
While Barrett is still at Penrith if our board get their act together the conversation will be along the lines of: 1) This never happened Trent but hypothetically tick the players on this list that you want from Penrith and mark them as priority 1, 2 and 3, their field positions and salary limit for our review? 2) Players a,b,c, x, y, z ..... 3) As you know Trent most of our current players are crap. This list of players are out of contract end of this year do you want to retain any and why? 4) Board does due diligence re salary cap 5) A trusted "unofficial" person not on the Dogs board or staff contacts the agents of the reviewed list and Barrett stays out of all correspondence while he's still at Penrith. Plausibile deniability and he hasn't broken his word to Penrith.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
While Barrett is still at Penrith if our board get their act together the conversation will be along the lines of: 1) This never happened Trent but hypothetically tick the players on this list that you want from Penrith and mark them as priority 1, 2 and 3, their field positions and salary limit for our review? 2) Players a,b,c, x, y, z ..... 3) As you know Trent most of our current players are crap. This list of players are out of contract end of this year do you want to retain any and why? 4) Board does due diligence re salary cap 5) A trusted "unofficial" person not on the Dogs board or staff contacts the agents of the reviewed list and Barrett stays out of all correspondence while he's still at Penrith. Plausibile deniability and he hasn't broken his word to Penrith.
LOL, I tried to say the same thing but you explained far more eloquently than I did so ignore my post and listen to this guy:D

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still dont understand the reason for them to consider barrett. Imo what they need is someone with strong leadership. Someone with authority to tell everyone else at the club to mind their own business and let him do his job. Not that i know much abt barrett but i dont think hes that type of guy the way he left manly.

Its almost like they are looking at him because they want someone they can manage. So far away from what the club need in a coach imo.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Let me get this right

Trent Barrett - Manly coach 2016-2018
72 games/29 wins/43 loses - 40% win

Dean Pay - Canterbury Coach 2018-2020
57 games/19 wins/38 loses - 33% win

Over that period Barrett had the likes of DCE, Tom Turbo, Jake Turbo, Api Koroisau, Taupau, AFB

Over the period Pay had the likes of Lichaa, Lewis, JMK, Meaney, Cogger a broken Foran.

You call Barrett a major upgrade on Pay?

Club is giving Barrett $3m to spend?

What a load of bullocks.

This has to be a gee up and surely this is a smokescreen by the board as they have someone else signed up, though do notwish to release the details so soon

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So hang on. We are going for a bloke who has a 40% win record, just slightly better the Pay.
You lost his mind at Manly and cracked the shits and left, well that's what Pay did today. Had a soak and went home, probably took some balls with him.

What the actual F. Griffin is the only bloke with a track record and has skills with the younger guys which he has proven at both Broncos and Penrith.

This board is freaking clueless. GET OUT ANDERSONS AND PRICE.

Anderson's need the money and Price is as good at managing as he is at gambling..
What muppets

WHERE IS FLANO ALSO?
F off Barrett

Kelvin S

New Pup
Reaction score
EGM yes fuck Andersons off out of here
And that Livinsky guy bald headed nobody , had success at no club also Graig Wilson nick name POD Proffet of Doom moves from club to club with no success what so ever biggest fake ever ,bad luck he is, Livinsky shifty as

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Let me get this right

Trent Barrett - Manly coach 2016-2018
72 games/29 wins/43 loses - 40% win

Dean Pay - Canterbury Coach 2018-2020
57 games/19 wins/38 loses - 33% win

Over that period Barrett had the likes of DCE, Tom Turbo, Jake Turbo, Api Koroisau, Taupau, AFB

Over the period Pay had the likes of Lichaa, Lewis, JMK, Meaney, Cogger a broken Foran.

You call Barrett a major upgrade on Pay?

Club is giving Barrett $3m to spend?

What a load of bullocks.

This has to be a gee up and surely this is a smokescreen by the board as they have someone else signed up, though do notwish to release the details so soon
It's bullshit. I really can't believe they've come to this decision to get rid of Pay to sign Barrett. What you've said is why the clubs pulled a dog act on Pay. It's so unfair it makes me sick. If it was a top coach I'd understand... I'm not proud to be a Bulldog at the moment (I really hope we're getting someone better, but with how everything's gone recently no chance).

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still dont understand the reason for them to consider barrett. Imo what they need is someone with strong leadership. Someone with authority to tell everyone else at the club to mind their own business and let him do his job. Not that i know much abt barrett but i dont think hes that type of guy the way he left manly.

Its almost like they are looking at him because they want someone they can manage. So far away from what the club need in a coach imo.
The problem is the available coaches out there are ordinary. The only great coaches out there are Robinson and Bellamy and they'll never come here given the current circumstances. Stuart and Arthurs alternate with good and bad years, Bennett is past it and the rest have been in the game long enough with average results. Barrett was one of the best playmakers in his era, he knows how to create tries and still has better ball skills than any of our current players. Its about time our halves know how to pass the ball properly. Yes he had mixed results at Manly but some of that had to do with salary cap issues because of Des back ended deals, political interference and their crap facilities. The up side of Barrett is that he has current form on the board with his transformation of Penrith into one of the best attacking sides in the comp. The other coaches being "considered" don't have that.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So let me get this right... When it comes to dean pay, we can’t criticise or bag a coach coz no fan has played fg or completed their coaching ticket Yet now it comes to barret as a potential every pro pay donkey can criticise and slam him???

right and that’s no hypocritical at all is it

and plus Laurie Daley u slimeY scummy weisel who’s embarrassed of his background Go Fcuk yourself u big nose mutt.
Putrid dog