Barrett backed to land Bulldogs NRL job

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Canterbury will be getting one of the best attacking minds in the NRL if they appoint Trent Barrett as their next coach.

That’s the opinion of one of Barrett’s former players as the Bulldogs formally begin the search to replace departed head coach Dean Pay.

Barrett is widely tipped to be the frontrunner to take the reins at Belmore, having enhanced his reputation as a coach in his stint as an assistant to Ivan Cleary at Penrith this year.

Returning to the Panthers, as the attacking coach after his exit from Manly, Barrett has helped transform them to be one of the league’s most lethal teams.

Having averaged 17 points a game last year – fourth-worst in the league – Penrith have improved their scoring rate to more than 22 points per game in 2020.

“As you can see, Penrith are playing extremely good football now with what they have,” Sea Eagles utility Lachlan Croker said on Tuesday morning.

“What they did last year probably wasn’t what they wanted it to be but where ‘Baz’ is now and you can see that with his influence.

“It’s got his hand prints all over it.

“They’re playing a really good attacking style of football.

“I think him being a half and the type of half that he was, you can definitely see it translate into team performances.”

The Bulldogs’ lack of talent has been exposed during Pay’s tenure, having averaged just 10 points per game so far this year.

They also had a league-worst 14 points a game last season.

However, with an estimated $2 million to head into the player market, the next Canterbury coach will be expected to make the most of a much-improved roster.

NSW State of Origin coach Brad Fittler and Queensland counterpart Kevin Walters have been named as possible options, as has ex-Penrith mentor Anthony Griffin.

So too has former Blues coach Laurie Daley, who ruled himself out on Tuesday.

“I’ve never spoken to anyone from the Bulldogs, I’ve got no interest,” Daley said on Sky Sports Breakfast.

Daley warned Barrett about the perils of taking the job, citing perceived boardroom dramas and the danger of failing as a head coach for the second time.

“If you had that stability there, and you knew you had the support, you would be in a good position because they have money available,” Daley said.

“But with the ongoing behind-the-scenes noises, you couldn’t say to someone with any certainty, ‘go there’, because you don’t know what’s going to happen in 18 months’ time.

“You may not be the flavour of the month. And you may be out of a job quickly.

“If it’s Trent, he has one more opportunity.

“If he fails at his next job, he’s no longer going to be a first-grade coach.

“If he sits back and waits, he will get an opportunity somewhere down the path … If I was guiding him, I’d be saying to him, ‘Be very, very careful’.”

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury will be getting one of the best attacking minds in the NRL if they appoint Trent Barrett as their next coach.

That’s the opinion of one of Barrett’s former players as the Bulldogs formally begin the search to replace departed head coach Dean Pay.

Barrett is widely tipped to be the frontrunner to take the reins at Belmore, having enhanced his reputation as a coach in his stint as an assistant to Ivan Cleary at Penrith this year.

Returning to the Panthers, as the attacking coach after his exit from Manly, Barrett has helped transform them to be one of the league’s most lethal teams.

Having averaged 17 points a game last year – fourth-worst in the league – Penrith have improved their scoring rate to more than 22 points per game in 2020.

“As you can see, Penrith are playing extremely good football now with what they have,” Sea Eagles utility Lachlan Croker said on Tuesday morning.

“What they did last year probably wasn’t what they wanted it to be but where ‘Baz’ is now and you can see that with his influence.

“It’s got his hand prints all over it.

“They’re playing a really good attacking style of football.

“I think him being a half and the type of half that he was, you can definitely see it translate into team performances.”

The Bulldogs’ lack of talent has been exposed during Pay’s tenure, having averaged just 10 points per game so far this year.

They also had a league-worst 14 points a game last season.

However, with an estimated $2 million to head into the player market, the next Canterbury coach will be expected to make the most of a much-improved roster.

NSW State of Origin coach Brad Fittler and Queensland counterpart Kevin Walters have been named as possible options, as has ex-Penrith mentor Anthony Griffin.

So too has former Blues coach Laurie Daley, who ruled himself out on Tuesday.

“I’ve never spoken to anyone from the Bulldogs, I’ve got no interest,” Daley said on Sky Sports Breakfast.

Daley warned Barrett about the perils of taking the job, citing perceived boardroom dramas and the danger of failing as a head coach for the second time.

“If you had that stability there, and you knew you had the support, you would be in a good position because they have money available,” Daley said.

“But with the ongoing behind-the-scenes noises, you couldn’t say to someone with any certainty, ‘go there’, because you don’t know what’s going to happen in 18 months’ time.

“You may not be the flavour of the month. And you may be out of a job quickly.

“If it’s Trent, he has one more opportunity.

“If he fails at his next job, he’s no longer going to be a first-grade coach.

“If he sits back and waits, he will get an opportunity somewhere down the path … If I was guiding him, I’d be saying to him, ‘Be very, very careful’.”
man how have we used up 1m of the cap firing Deano?

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, so the Broncos play the Tigers on Friday. When they lose, these ridiculous articles will be over. 3 more days boys and girls

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
$3M sounds too low. Someone said earlier it was over $4M which sounds more like it. The pricks have no clue

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Welcome Trent.. just get ready for another faceslap if you stuff it up..
24632452f66036440928f2fca9884a0e.jpeg

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Last year they said we had 6 million for 2021.
Then it was 3 million
And now it’s 2 million.
By the time 2021 hits will we have anything haha?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If I was Trent or any other coach being sounded out about taking the job at our once proud club, I would be seeking contractual certainty about my ability to get most of the staff and players that I want. Pay was always on a hiding to nothing, coming in after the Des debacle. The new board was loath to repeat the issues that came with giving the head coach too much power, which was ultimately Des' undoing, but they have gone too far. Pay made some poor decisions, but to some degree he didn't have the power to some of the real good ones some people on here seem to feel he should have been making.

Without changes like that the next coach is going to end up trying to dig a team out of the cellar while at the same time keep their own career off life support. If it that happens a second time you can forget about us being a force for at least another decade.

It doesn't mean going back to a Des-like power structure. Recruitment and training of juniors needs to have high priority, which it didn't under Des. But the head coach needs to be given certainty that they aren't going to end up left out to dry like Pay was.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
I wouldn't be taking larry Daleys advice. He's about as dopey as you can get

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Bring Stephen Crichton, Charlie Staines and Matt Burton with you.