Barrett warned he could destroy his career at Bulldogs, Pay's final straw revealed

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree with you agreeing.

Assistant coaches should not necessarily jump at a head coaching position just because it is head coach. Coaching the dogs is a poisoned chalice at the moment, no matter how much we think this "$3M war chest" is an attraction.
It could make a career too though. Turning spoon favourites into contenders would go a long way towards establishing credentials.

I'm not even sold on Barrett. But he's not going to have the Roosters head coaching gig thrown his way if he relies on credentials he gained from Manly.

At the end of the day this is just another dig at the club.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Media talking anything dogs is always in the negative but I agree any Coach other then top tier ones would need to be very careful about coming to the dogs under the current climate. It could be a career killer without much imagination required.
That depends on the coach I guess. If they're good enough at their job and know how to recruit then it will be easier than people think to be competitive next season and a threat to make the 8.

Morris will soon get fired from Cronulla... Would you rather want that job with no cap space and being stuck with overpriced, underperforming players like Dugan, Moylan, Johnson, Fifita, Woods etc or would you rather $3-4 million in cap space and a blank canvas?

I don't think we're as unattractive an option as they're making us out to be... And once Morris is fired, I'm sure they won't be hammering Cronulla for being a terrible option for players and coaches like they are our club.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never knew Daley to be this sort of prick.
I understand a journo with no playing career doing a job to create a headline.
But this Daley bloke surely can privately ring cotric or Barrett to give an opinion or concern.
I don't know. Seems he has no etiquette as a former great.

Fingal Bay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You can really tell that all journos, media commentators want the status quo to remain in terms of how clubs perform . I have never before this year seen players through the media told not to join clubs and now coaches .

they said it with Fifita for titans , Cotric for dogs and now Barrett for dogs .
This is disgraceful . Did anyone say brown don’t go to knights , Arthur , Kearney , Stuart go to eels , Kearney and whole list of coaches not to go to warriors.

disgraceful
Laurie Daley can’t coach and he shouldn’t be advising players and coaches on not going to clubs. Dean Pay is not a first grade coach and was appointed by the old board and he would have earned good money over the last three years. Let’s move on and get some coach maybe like Griffin who has the results on the board and get rid of one of our assistant coaches (not Georgarlis) and our skills coach who was a waste of money.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
But this Daley bloke surely can privately ring cotric or Barrett to give an opinion or concern.
He's just whoring himself out for a quick buck. He's probably on retainer for his rent-a-jibber.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
It's almost like he is cut because he hasn't been mentioned as an option...

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like the parasites are out in full force..

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL legend Laurie Daley has urged Trent Barrett to consider rejecting the Bulldogs coaching job, after a stunning condemnation of the club's infighting.

Daley said that Barrett, a Penrith assistant who has already had a failed stint coaching Manly, had one more chance as an NRL head coach and could ruin his career at last-placed Canterbury.

That damning verdict came after Nine NRL reporter Danny Weidler detailed the dark underbelly of the club, including the final straw for departing coach Dean Pay, who reportedly decided to quit midway through his third season in the job. Steve Georgallis was made interim coach after Pay's exit was made official by the club on Tuesday.

Weidler said that club great Pay had been shown "incredible disrespect" by the Bulldogs and knew the end was nigh when he was overruled on signing Josh Reynolds, a former Canterbury hero, despite a bottom-dollar bid.

The snub told Pay, a 1995 premiership-winning player for Canterbury, that he had little control over a poor roster that ultimately doomed his reign to failure.

Weidler said that Bulldogs chairwoman Lynne Anderson and football GM Steve Price, a club legend, had let down Pay and suggested they should follow him out the door.

Trent Barrett and Dean Pay. (Getty)
"I think a lot of people would have liked to have seen Dean Pay given another 12 months, given they've got some money at their disposal to be able to go out and chase some players," Daley said on Sky Sports Radio. "But obviously that's come to an end.

"I think the Bulldogs would be an attractive proposition for a coach if they didn't have all this boardroom drama going on. I think if you had that stability there and you knew you had the support, I think they'd be in a good position because they've got money available, they can go to the market, they can attract players.

"But with the ongoing behind-the-scenes noises, you couldn't say to someone with certainty, 'Go there'; because you don't know what's going to happen in 18 months time. You may not be the flavour of the month and you may be out of a job very quickly.

"If it's Trent, he's got one more opportunity. If he fails at his next job, well he's no longer going to be a first-grade coach. I think if he sits back and waits, he will get an opportunity somewhere down the path.

"A bit like [Sydney Roosters assistant] Craig Fitzgibbon. You don't have to be the person that puts their hand up for every job. You can sit back, think about where your future's going to lie, you're in a good system; Penrith will have success for the next five years, the way they're going with all these young players coming through.

"So I don't think he needs to rush into making a decision, just because it's the first available job. If I was him, if I was guiding him, I'd be saying, 'Mate, be very, very careful'.

"I just don't like it when people start to meddle in the affairs and then things get murky and there's no stability there whatsoever. Uncertainty. I can understand why the playing group aren't performing, too.

"I know as a player, you shouldn't worry about what goes on in the boardroom but you do. It's one of the first things you talk about; 'Who's the coach going to be? Are we still going to be here? What's the roster going to look like next year?'

Panthers assistant coach Trent Barrett with Nathan Cleary, before beating the Rabbitohs. (Getty)
Barrett heads a Bulldogs coaching hit-list that includes former NSW coach Daley, Queensland coach Kevin Walters, ex-Broncos and Panthers boss Anthony Griffin, plus England Rugby coach Eddie Jones, according to Weidler. The Bulldogs have asked Penrith's permission to speak with Barrett.

Daley replied that he he had "never spoken to anyone, no interest". Weidler said that he believed Walters held the same view.

The Nine NRL reporter gave a searing inside look at the Bulldogs.

"I do know Dean was increasingly frustrated with the way he was being treated by the Bulldogs club," Weidler said on Sky Sports Radio.

"You have to remember, Dean Pay was brought into the Bulldogs - the so-called family club - as a former great of the club, as the man to guide them through a difficult period.

"It looks to me though, unfortunately, that he's just been made a fall guy, a stop-gap, and he's been treated with incredible disrespect by the club.

"Yes, their results were not great but I don't think Dean Pay really had a chance at any point with the roster that he was given and the roster he had going forward.

"The final straw for Dean Pay was when he tried to recruit Josh Reynolds on minimal money for this year. Minimal money, and was not given the chance.

"Now, if that's going to happen, the coach is never really going to be given a chance and it's time for other people at that club to stand down and go.

"Why Dean Pay is the sole victim of what's been going on, I'll never know, but I can't see how that club can move forward with the likes of Lynne Anderson there as their chairperson, with their board there that's warring.

"It is a highly unattractive club and also they've got a guy who's in charge of their football, Steve Price, who along with Lynne Anderson who's let Dean Pay be the face of everything.

"I'm not particularly close to Dean Pay, a lot of other journos are, but I can say that he's handled himself well. I can also say that Lynne Anderson hasn't, nor has Steve Price. They've both been invisible people throughout this whole mess."

Departing Bulldogs coach Dean Pay. (Getty)
Weidler said that Pay, who led the Bulldogs to a pair of 12th-placed finishes before this season, was set up to fail. The club is set to claim its first wooden spoon since 2008 and Bulldogs premiership winner Johnathan Thurston has also branded Pay's supposed culpability "unfair", given he had limited say over the roster.

"He was put there in a situation that he couldn't win," Weidler said.

"His playing roster, with no disrespect to the players there, would be in the bottom three of the league without a question.

"I think he has been made the fall guy for poor management for years. There are now massive, massive dramas on their board and I don't see how any coach in their right mind would want to go and coach there without some guarantees of their future and guarantees that there won't be any kind of board interference from meddling people at the club, who are in it for their own reasons rather than the right reasons for the club.

"I don't know who's going to be on that board going forward in years to come but I do think they need to blow up the situation. I'm upset for Dean because whilst he may not be the best coach in the league, he's a decent person and he's been hung out to dry, really."
First of all, shut the fuck up Dailey, your opinion doesnt mean shit. Just because you were the worst origin coach NSW has had, and you will likely never get another coa hing gig, does not mean that Barrett cant do well at the bbulldogs.And try not to be such a fucking hypocrute when you say "i just dont like when people meddle and get involved". Thats exactly what your doing now idiot!!

Secondly, im sick to death of every single article bringing up the Josh Reynolds shit every single time. I know im not alone in not wanting him back at the club. Not because he is a bad player, or bad person, but simply because we have been there and done that. Same apllies to Lafai.

Lastly, i genuinely feel for Pay, i honestly do. He took on a tough gig when no one else wanted it, and he had the whole deck stacked against him, esecially when the NRL stood down CHN and Okunbour. But he also failed miserably. The one thing he did do well was maintane player morale, but otherwise we have gone backwards in so many ways that there was simply no chance he was going to get re signed. And this is why all of these reporters are talking of infighting between the board, some factions wanted to retain him, others didnt. Remove him from the equation and get another coach that they all agree on, and with some luck the problems disappear.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's almost like he is cut because he hasn't been mentioned as an option...
The funny thing is his name was mentioned in a few articles and he publicly declared he wasn't interested!

That's like James Hooper saying he's not interested in being on the cover of GQ. No one wanted you in the first place!

They just randomly add names to every article.

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What’s with the vendetta Daley has on us all of a suddenthe cock snot first Cotric now this does he want the job or something

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
1. Someone beat me to it but Daley was the worst origin coach ever and he proved in his stint he knows fuck all about coaching

2. Danny weeder is a **** and can fuck off. The most hated journalist out there (and that's a bloody achievement considering Phil rothfield is out there), soufs players told him to get fucked, the media darlings told wielder to get fucked. That shows this grubs calibre. Hes just laying the boot in the dickhead to create controversy

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Assuming claims of board room tension are correct, boardroom tensions are commonplace at struggling clubs and a number of coaches have taken jobs at clubs with divided boards and have gone on to deliver success. In a result oriented field, a lack of results creates tension and often factional division.....it's only natural that when any brand is struggling, board members will split into factions due to different ideas about how things should be done. Pay gets a lot of leeway from media due to the circumstances he inherited.... where is that same leeway for the board. I guarantee that if an EGM was called next week and the current board was ousted, these same media parasites would be talking about how board members were hard done by, couldn't have been expected to do better and were the victims of impatient and unrealistic members. As soon as someone leaves or is clearly on the outer at the club, the narrative shifts and they go from problem to victim. Pretty transparent stuff. I don't know much about board machinations, but I do know that despite the roster's obvious limitations, the team seems to have gone backwards this year. New rules to advantage attacking teams were never going to help a poor attacking side that relies on defence and we've had some bad luck with injuries and unforseen circumstances like the CHN/ Okunbor saga and now Averillo being quarantined. I feel a bit sorry for Pay too..... but in a results based business, those who don't deliver results will come under scrutiny. Nature of the beast.
They'll change the narrative to suit their mood. I assume that the old thing about stories about our club selling papers etc is still true. So it's just a matter of which side of the scales you drop the weight on to appeal to the majority. I get a bit annoyed that the bulk of articles paint the club in a harsh light. But realistically if we start winning games and become a powerhouse club again the opinions of the media mean as much to me as a fart in the wind.

Laurie Daley is dumb as dogshit. If someone is listening he'll talk. So I wouldn't assume this was a vindictive measure from him. He's got an emotional stake in Citric staying with Canberra, so I don't think that counts against him. And his opinion on the coaching deal has an ounce of common sense. For another inexperienced coach stepping into a role like this it could go either way. Turning our on field fortunes around would be a great feather in their cap, continuing to fail on field will look bad on the resume given that they're getting to shape the roster as well as they can under the circumstances.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. Someone beat me to it but Daley was the worst origin coach ever and he proved in his stint he knows fuck all about coaching

2. Danny weeder is a c*** and can fuck off. The most hated journalist out there (and that's a bloody achievement considering Phil rothfield is out there), soufs players told him to get fucked, the media darlings told wielder to get fucked. That shows this grubs calibre. Hes just laying the boot in the dickhead to create controversy
Mate, thats a little harsh. Look its just a football caring Journo and a Canberra/NSW/Australian legend 5/8 trying to pass on some good constructive advice to Trent. God stuff and I hope Trent listens to them as they are 100 % correct.

Dont come here.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate, thats a little harsh. Look its just a football caring Journo and a Canberra/NSW/Australian legend 5/8 trying to pass on some good constructive advice to Trent. God stuff and I hope Trent listens to them as they are 100 % correct.

Dont come here.
Im talking about them attacking our club.

Barret has turned us down anyways.

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bring back Warren Ryan and Ted Glossop as assistant ! Barrett is not the answer in all this.

I remember everyone saying the last board gave Des to much Control..... Well the current board are now copping it for taking back control.. Covid 19 anyone.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Media love a Bulldogs Bashing!

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
The hate for our club is unreal

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Also I wouldn't mind seeing Georgallis get the gig next year if we finish off the year ok with him. Not expecting miracles with this squad, but improvement would be a good sign for Georgallis
One year building towards a decent roster...if he can put together the best 17 in their best positions and put together some 6 again tactics and bench rotations/gameplan.

Then get Holbrook if he'll have us and get a release of his contract....he might have a get out clause? However by then he may have Titans in the 8.

Other than that S Ware if doable.