Barrett warned he could destroy his career at Bulldogs, Pay's final straw revealed

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL legend Laurie Daley has urged Trent Barrett to consider rejecting the Bulldogs coaching job, after a stunning condemnation of the club's infighting.

Daley said that Barrett, a Penrith assistant who has already had a failed stint coaching Manly, had one more chance as an NRL head coach and could ruin his career at last-placed Canterbury.

That damning verdict came after Nine NRL reporter Danny Weidler detailed the dark underbelly of the club, including the final straw for departing coach Dean Pay, who reportedly decided to quit midway through his third season in the job. Steve Georgallis was made interim coach after Pay's exit was made official by the club on Tuesday.

Weidler said that club great Pay had been shown "incredible disrespect" by the Bulldogs and knew the end was nigh when he was overruled on signing Josh Reynolds, a former Canterbury hero, despite a bottom-dollar bid.

The snub told Pay, a 1995 premiership-winning player for Canterbury, that he had little control over a poor roster that ultimately doomed his reign to failure.

Weidler said that Bulldogs chairwoman Lynne Anderson and football GM Steve Price, a club legend, had let down Pay and suggested they should follow him out the door.

Trent Barrett and Dean Pay. (Getty)
"I think a lot of people would have liked to have seen Dean Pay given another 12 months, given they've got some money at their disposal to be able to go out and chase some players," Daley said on Sky Sports Radio. "But obviously that's come to an end.

"I think the Bulldogs would be an attractive proposition for a coach if they didn't have all this boardroom drama going on. I think if you had that stability there and you knew you had the support, I think they'd be in a good position because they've got money available, they can go to the market, they can attract players.

"But with the ongoing behind-the-scenes noises, you couldn't say to someone with certainty, 'Go there'; because you don't know what's going to happen in 18 months time. You may not be the flavour of the month and you may be out of a job very quickly.

"If it's Trent, he's got one more opportunity. If he fails at his next job, well he's no longer going to be a first-grade coach. I think if he sits back and waits, he will get an opportunity somewhere down the path.

"A bit like [Sydney Roosters assistant] Craig Fitzgibbon. You don't have to be the person that puts their hand up for every job. You can sit back, think about where your future's going to lie, you're in a good system; Penrith will have success for the next five years, the way they're going with all these young players coming through.

"So I don't think he needs to rush into making a decision, just because it's the first available job. If I was him, if I was guiding him, I'd be saying, 'Mate, be very, very careful'.

"I just don't like it when people start to meddle in the affairs and then things get murky and there's no stability there whatsoever. Uncertainty. I can understand why the playing group aren't performing, too.

"I know as a player, you shouldn't worry about what goes on in the boardroom but you do. It's one of the first things you talk about; 'Who's the coach going to be? Are we still going to be here? What's the roster going to look like next year?'

Panthers assistant coach Trent Barrett with Nathan Cleary, before beating the Rabbitohs. (Getty)
Barrett heads a Bulldogs coaching hit-list that includes former NSW coach Daley, Queensland coach Kevin Walters, ex-Broncos and Panthers boss Anthony Griffin, plus England Rugby coach Eddie Jones, according to Weidler. The Bulldogs have asked Penrith's permission to speak with Barrett.

Daley replied that he he had "never spoken to anyone, no interest". Weidler said that he believed Walters held the same view.

The Nine NRL reporter gave a searing inside look at the Bulldogs.

"I do know Dean was increasingly frustrated with the way he was being treated by the Bulldogs club," Weidler said on Sky Sports Radio.

"You have to remember, Dean Pay was brought into the Bulldogs - the so-called family club - as a former great of the club, as the man to guide them through a difficult period.

"It looks to me though, unfortunately, that he's just been made a fall guy, a stop-gap, and he's been treated with incredible disrespect by the club.

"Yes, their results were not great but I don't think Dean Pay really had a chance at any point with the roster that he was given and the roster he had going forward.

"The final straw for Dean Pay was when he tried to recruit Josh Reynolds on minimal money for this year. Minimal money, and was not given the chance.

"Now, if that's going to happen, the coach is never really going to be given a chance and it's time for other people at that club to stand down and go.

"Why Dean Pay is the sole victim of what's been going on, I'll never know, but I can't see how that club can move forward with the likes of Lynne Anderson there as their chairperson, with their board there that's warring.

"It is a highly unattractive club and also they've got a guy who's in charge of their football, Steve Price, who along with Lynne Anderson who's let Dean Pay be the face of everything.

"I'm not particularly close to Dean Pay, a lot of other journos are, but I can say that he's handled himself well. I can also say that Lynne Anderson hasn't, nor has Steve Price. They've both been invisible people throughout this whole mess."

Departing Bulldogs coach Dean Pay. (Getty)
Weidler said that Pay, who led the Bulldogs to a pair of 12th-placed finishes before this season, was set up to fail. The club is set to claim its first wooden spoon since 2008 and Bulldogs premiership winner Johnathan Thurston has also branded Pay's supposed culpability "unfair", given he had limited say over the roster.

"He was put there in a situation that he couldn't win," Weidler said.

"His playing roster, with no disrespect to the players there, would be in the bottom three of the league without a question.

"I think he has been made the fall guy for poor management for years. There are now massive, massive dramas on their board and I don't see how any coach in their right mind would want to go and coach there without some guarantees of their future and guarantees that there won't be any kind of board interference from meddling people at the club, who are in it for their own reasons rather than the right reasons for the club.

"I don't know who's going to be on that board going forward in years to come but I do think they need to blow up the situation. I'm upset for Dean because whilst he may not be the best coach in the league, he's a decent person and he's been hung out to dry, really."

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fuck this media campaign to tell everyone to stay away from the club. Especially Daley for his rent a quote.. Like his opinion means anything.

Barrett, Griffin or anyone else would be lucky to get this job at a big club with a tonne of cap space. There are only 16 head coaching jobs and very few vacancies each year.

So to suggest an assistant avoids a head coaching gig is laughable and obviously just slander against the club for the sake of it.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can really tell that all journos, media commentators want the status quo to remain in terms of how clubs perform . I have never before this year seen players through the media told not to join clubs and now coaches .

they said it with Fifita for titans , Cotric for dogs and now Barrett for dogs .
This is disgraceful . Did anyone say brown don’t go to knights , Arthur , Kearney , Stuart go to eels , Kearney and whole list of coaches not to go to warriors.

disgraceful

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Fuck this media campaign to tell everyone to stay away from the club. Especially Daley for his rent a quote.. Like his opinion means anything.

Barrett, Griffin or anyone else would be lucky to get this job at a big club with a tonne of cap space. There are only 16 head coaching jobs and very few vacancies each year.

So to suggest an assistant avoids a head coaching gig is laughable and obviously just slander against the club for the sake of it.
Opinions are like clits, ever **** has one.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
These c*** are triggered because they love seeing this club at rock bottom and we have finally made a move
True nothing sells like Bulldogs drama...but...we have brought this on ourselves 100%.

Or rather the inept Board, CEO, GM Football Price, the coaching and conditioning staff.

The whole operation has been 2nd rate and while it remains so, we give the media ammunition and probably deserve it all.

The whole lot needs an overhaul and if those rival board members are really out there, they should step up now while the heat is on.

Get it over and done with. This slow burn and white anting could hopefully stop with a new board and re-set.

Yes, unfortunately yet another one due to gross negligence of this one in getting their act together and bringing disgrace to the club.

Our poor club.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree with all you guys. The media has had it in for us for a very long time...ever since we got done for the salary cap back in 2002 then it snowballed from there.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
We all hate people talking about our club but everything I just read sounded pretty much true. I'm not as offended at Pay going as this article, although I agree he was a fall guy. He should never have been coaching this year.

The rest about the Board sounds fair enough though and I think the Anderson's at Canterbury is also untenable now. They must concede their failed ego and power play and protect what they claim to love and walk away.

Like minded people are needed to come in now with no fighting but the greater good in mind. Show some solidarity, stability and show potential Coaches and players that there is a future.

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Weedler.... Say no More , its a nothing article with no truth. .

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This is the funniest story of the lot.

Laurie Daley is comfortably the most overrated media type in the game. He is dumber than dogshit. His opinion is irrelevant. Weidler obviously has an axe to grind with this board. So treat his opinion like a spoilt five year old.

I wish they stop calling Pay a Bulldog Great. He barely played a 100 games for the club and then did the midnight dash for cash to Parramatta.Also, we haven't sacked him. we have decided to not renew his contract. There is a difference. Why then does he feel the need to leave immediately if he professes to love the club.

Good Riddance.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firstly, Daley can fuck off. As if anybody evens wants him to coach our team. The reason nobody has spoken to you is because were not interested so beat it loser.

Secondly, what is the medias fucking obsession with Reynolds. I fully support the boards decision not to sign Reynolds - even for $1. We are already stockpiling shit halves, we don't need another one. Get over fucking Reynolds. The club did the right thing in that scenario. I understand the need for experience but a prerequisite to that is the player must be, you know, good.

I agree with everything that Weidler said about the board. The board is an absolute mess and they need to go but even so, as long as the new coach has a major say in recruitment, this is still a very attractive job for a coach as 25+ players are off contract in the next 2 years. That is a dream for any coach even with the board instability.

I do believe the club set Pay up to fail (you only have to look at his loser assistants for proof) and I feel sorry for Pay and how he was treated but my loyalty is to the jersey - not the coach or board

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Daley trying to put the club down so Cotric thinks it’s a mess and stays put in Canberra. All that aside Deano is close to journos and close to Ricky who would be telling Laurie what’s going on over a few beers.. Fact of the matter is our lack of results at the moment is based on a few people collectively not just the coach.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That'll do me. I've seen video footage of Laurie Daley getting confused because Phil Gould sat in his chair on the sidelines. If his opinion is worth a pinch of shit the value of shit has dropped to an all time low.

I don't know if Barrett is even on our list of potential recruits. He's another gamble as far as I'm concerned. But the media need to fuck right off and get lives.

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
My whole issue with this line "I think a lot of people would have liked to have seen Dean Pay given another 12 months, given they've got some money at their disposal to be able to go out and chase some players," is what if he screwed it up? We'd be set back 3-5 years.

We need someone with shrewd player management/recruitment skills with runs on the board, a $3M 'experiment' is a lot of money in anyones language.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Assuming claims of board room tension are correct, boardroom tensions are commonplace at struggling clubs and a number of coaches have taken jobs at clubs with divided boards and have gone on to deliver success. In a result oriented field, a lack of results creates tension and often factional division.....it's only natural that when any brand is struggling, board members will split into factions due to different ideas about how things should be done. Pay gets a lot of leeway from media due to the circumstances he inherited.... where is that same leeway for the board. I guarantee that if an EGM was called next week and the current board was ousted, these same media parasites would be talking about how board members were hard done by, couldn't have been expected to do better and were the victims of impatient and unrealistic members. As soon as someone leaves or is clearly on the outer at the club, the narrative shifts and they go from problem to victim. Pretty transparent stuff. I don't know much about board machinations, but I do know that despite the roster's obvious limitations, the team seems to have gone backwards this year. New rules to advantage attacking teams were never going to help a poor attacking side that relies on defence and we've had some bad luck with injuries and unforseen circumstances like the CHN/ Okunbor saga and now Averillo being quarantined. I feel a bit sorry for Pay too..... but in a results based business, those who don't deliver results will come under scrutiny. Nature of the beast.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is the funniest story of the lot.

Laurie Daley is comfortably the most overrated media type in the game. He is dumber than dogshit. His opinion is irrelevant. Weidler obviously has an axe to grind with this board. So treat his opinion like a spoilt five year old.

I wish they stop calling Pay a Bulldog Great. He barely played a 100 games for the club and then did the midnight dash for cash to Parramatta.Also, we haven't sacked him. we have decided to not renew his contract. There is a difference. Why then does he feel the need to leave immediately if he professes to love the club.

Good Riddance.
Its funny the article says he isnt the best coach in the league, but is a great guy. Last time I checked the coaches role was getting the best out of his players, not being nice to them. Not Pay bashing here, but how can a team perform with atleast 60% of the squad playing out of position. In an elite league when the 1 percenters are the difference, having so many players out of place or in makeshift positions, you have to realise why we are so average (let alone the abysmal strength of the roster).