Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wonder how my boy Thompson is feeling

flys across the world, isolates for 14 days, joins a sinking club, team losses on his debut, coach get sacked.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about Pay. Walking out on us during the Super League war but he played a big part in the 95 QF against Brisbane when he broke Lazarus' ribs in the first minute and we went on to win the game and eventually the title. I think that is the only time we've ever beaten Brisbane in the playoffs. If the Barrett rumours are true then I won't be complaining. The reality is the only great coaches going around now are Bellamy and Robinson and they won't be coming here. The next tier is Stuart and Arthurs and they're not available. Bennett is past his best and the rest are much the same.
I thought Barrett was a good attacking player and far better than any half at the Dogs over the last decade. I don't expect any miracles but I want to see is a noticeable improvement in our attack formations, passing, co-ordination, fitness and tactics by the end of the year. Barrett is at least articulate which is fundamental for a coach to be successful and the fact that he is a half rather than a forward is another positive so tactics and organising a team around the park is second nature to him which a second rower/prop like Pay would never have. I won't judge him on purely on his record at Manly because we don't know what crap was going on in that joint. He came in after Des and Toovey and who knows what mess Des left them in. The board needs to give him sufficient support in terms of staff and tools so he can concentrate on coaching, identifying retention and recruitment and leave the politics and the rest to others.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay's a good bloke but didn't work out as an NRL coach. Glad he's moving on.

Not sure why so much dislike for Barrett on here. He didn't have much to work with at Manly when he was there (they had shit depth like us back then) and he seems pretty well respected these days and is helping Penrith to improve. I'd also rather a more established coach who could attract top players but there's not much out there. Pommie coach Wane looks like a good one but not sure if we approached him or if he's interested.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's about time. He was lucky to get the job in the first place let alone last two and a half seasons. I'm sure all the Pay sob stories will be printed now and he'll become a martyr even though his record is god awful... Anyway, thank fuck it's over.

Barrett is a questionable choice but at least he's a modern day attacking coach who is sound tactically and can communicate with players. If he can bring Burton, Crichton and other talented youngsters with him then that would be a huge bonus.
I was just about to post the same thing about Barret bringing Burton, & Crichton with him good call.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about Pay. Walking out on us during the Super League war but he played a big part in the 95 QF against Brisbane when he broke Lazarus' ribs in the first minute and we went on to win the game and eventually the title. I think that is the only time we've ever beaten Brisbane in the playoffs. If the Barrett rumours are true then I won't be complaining. The reality is the only great coaches going around now are Bellamy and Robinson and they won't be coming here. The next tier is Stuart and Arthurs and they're not available. Bennett is past his best and the rest are much the same.
I thought Barrett was a good attacking player and far better than any half at the Dogs over the last decade. I don't expect any miracles but I want to see is a noticeable improvement in our attack formations, passing, co-ordination, fitness and tactics by the end of the year. Barrett is at least articulate which is fundamental for a coach to be successful and the fact that he is a half rather than a forward is another positive so tactics and organising a team around the park is second nature to him which a second rower/prop like Pay would never have. I won't judge him on purely on his record at Manly because we don't know what crap was going on in that joint. He came in after Des and Toovey and who knows what mess Des left them in. The board needs to give him sufficient support in terms of staff and tools so he can concentrate on coaching, identifying retention and recruitment and leave the politics and the rest to others.
Even now with master coach Des back Manly is still a mess.

Barrett made players like DCE and the Turbo twins improve their game a shit load. Look what he did to penriths attack too.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon barrets just a throw off to keep media amused. I reckon they must surely already have someone lined up.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
....also.....he leaves without winning a wooden spoon! Saving his resume of that blight! LOL!
his resume is shit and will only be allowed to assist a head coach from now on

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
btw I don't want to see any bullshit fake effort from the players this week now that pay is gone

they are shit and I don't care about what they have to show for the rest of the season, its fake news

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I reckon barrets just a throw off to keep media amused. I reckon they must surely already have someone lined up.
Have to agree with you on that. Just seems a little too open all this Barrett talk. We've been quite closed with everything else?

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The club has no heart and either do you guys. Hope your bosses dont throw you out to the wolves like Pays did...

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Wonder how my boy Thompson is feeling

flys across the world, isolates for 14 days, joins a sinking club, team losses on his debut, coach get sacked.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was told Pay won't be here next year when they signed him.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
OMG it was only 18 months or two years ago when so many of you Kennelers were wetting your pants that we should (and did) sign Pay. He has tried hard without a great roster and I thank him for his spirit and effort in trying to help his old club.....unfortunately he does appear to have some limitations .....selections...game plans...plan B....but he did give it a good go.

Thanks Deano for your effort mate.....perhaps it wasn't quite good enough, but with greater support who knows

Not sure that Barrett is the right man.....particularly with the current Board hovering over his shoulder......a full clean-out could be handy