Can’t recruit, can’t retain, can’t win: Gus unloads on Bulldogs debacle

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Gus has a history with us and genuinely cares for the club. I take what he says very seriously.

Last edited:

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pure and simple they are wasted years, like i said 3 years ago on haslers departure they needed a hard head coach to make best of the mess. Moron management just threw a bucket of chum in.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Gus has a history with us and genuinely cares for the club. I take what he says seriously.
Hasn't he won 2 comps with us, one as a coach and one as a player?

EDIT he didn't play in the GF because of a broken ankle.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes yes, but there having a meeting soon, sometime soon, lyn just has not had time to get to the shop for important things u know, like cake mix.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
People scoff at the notion of having Gus involved with the club but he's far superior to any of the maestros we've had running the club over the past two administrations. We could do far worse..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Even if we have a coach lined up it might be a situation where the incoming coach wants things kept quiet for the moment. I agree on the fact that the uncertainty might be playing on the minds of both Pay and the players. It's visible from the outside that the team is down on confidence. Part of the issue is possibly from the fact that a large portion of the roster is not contracted beyond this season. I'm a bit sick of the speculation levels and supposed outrage of people like Gould though.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Malcolm noad needs to come back pronto
Noad? He was the first of the NRL sanctioned cronies we had running the club who had no idea about league and was only there to add something to his resumé.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bulldogs players wait for the result of a video review during their loss to Brisbane.
Prominent commentator Phil Gould says the mess at Canterbury won’t be fixed until club powerbrokers make a call on the coaching situation beyond 2020.

The sorry Bulldogs are sitting bottom of the NRL ladder and speculation continues over the coach Dean Pay.

He’s off contract this year and is long odds to be re-signed, but the silence from the board and executives on the matter has been deafening.

On Sunday Pay essentially urged the board to speak publicly on his future or make a decision on who they want as coach for next year.

Gould says the results on the field will not improve until club powerbrokers come out from behind the curtain.

“I’ve got no idea the way the Bulldogs are thinking at the moment, I just know that they probably need - for everybody’s sake there - to make a decision on what it looks like for next year,” Gould said told Wide World Of Sports.

“There’s players coming off contract, there are players considering offers from other clubs, there are young fellas in the club wondering where their future lies, there’ll be staff and coaches wondering what they’re doing.

“And it’s not a good environment. I’ve seen this plenty of times over the years. You can’t have your side functioning in that sort of environment.

“They’re already looking towards next year, they’re not going to make the eight this season. They’ve got to use the rest of this year as a run-up into next year’s preparation and getting ready for next year.

“They’ve got to consider their salary cap and their options for recruitment. Right at the moment, they can’t go out and recruit anyone, they can’t re-sign anyone, they can’t develop anyone because it’s all just in a state of flux.

“They’ve just got to turn around and make some decisions and put everyone’s mind (at ease). I don’t care what those decisions are, I’ve got no idea what they might be... but they’ve got to make some decisions so that everyone knows where they’re going and they can draw a line in the sand and say, ‘all right, well, from tomorrow we’re working towards next year, this is who we’re going with and what we’ve got to do’.”

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...6bc146107882751e18a?__twitter_impression=true

EXCLUSIVE: Bulldogs going nowhere until coaching decision is made, Phil Gould warns

The Bulldogs are stuck in no man's land and must make a decision on coach Dean Pay's future to start their climb out of the abyss, Phil Gould says.
Canterbury are last in the NRL with a single win this season, having lost 26-8 to a poorly-performed Brisbane team on Saturday.
Pay called for clarity over his future after the match. He may get it at a club board meeting this week.
Gould, a premiership-winning Bulldogs coach in 1988, told Wide World of Sports that Canterbury would go nowhere until a definitive call was made.

"I've got no idea the way the Bulldogs are thinking at the moment, I just know that they probably need - for everybody's sake there - to make a decision on what it looks like for next year," Gould said on The Final Whistle.

"There's players coming off-contract, there are players considering offers from other clubs, there are young fellas in the club wondering where their future lies, there'll be staff and coaches wondering what they're doing.
"And it's not a good environment. I've seen this plenty of times over the years. You can't have your side functioning in that sort of environment.
"They're already looking towards next year, they're not going to make the eight this season. They've got to use the rest of this year as a run-up into next year's preparation and getting ready for next year.
"They've got to consider their salary cap and their options for recruitment. Right at the moment, they can't go out and recruit anyone, they can't re-sign anyone, they can't develop anyone because it's all just in a state of flux.
"They've just got to turn around and make some decisions and put everyone's mind [at ease]. I don't care what those decisions are, I've got no idea what they might be; but they've got to make some decisions so that everyone knows where they're going and they can draw a line in the sand and say, 'All right, well, from tomorrow we're working towards next year, this is who we're going with and what we've got to do'."

Pay sacking 'unfair', Raiders gone: JT
Former Bulldogs premiership winner Johnathan Thurston said on Sunday that sacking Pay would be "unfair" because he'd been given little say over the substandard roster at his disposal.
That may not save the coach's neck, with long-running speculation that he may be axed. Pay took Canterbury to 12th-placed finishes in the past two seasons; again with teams that were lightly regarded compared with their NRL opponents, thanks to ongoing salary cap problems and injuries to key players like Kieran Foran.
The Bulldogs just welcomed outstanding England Test prop Luke Thompson to the club but are otherwise gravely thin on elite talent.
They missed out on John Bateman when the Canberra back-rower opted to return to Wigan and are reportedly making a big play for Raiders and NSW Origin star Nick Cotric; who would surely want clarity on the coaching position before giving serious consideration to changing clubs.
Penrith assistant coach and former Manly boss Trent Barrett has been named as a possible replacement if Pay is sacked by the Bulldogs.
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canter...e94a-493c-ac98-269c4cd848e4?ocid=Social-NRLFS
Another ex-player sticking his bib in where it's not wanted, the majority of people saying keep Pay must want our club to stay at the bottom of the ladder, Pay needs to go as do a lot of players not giving 100%, and there are a lot of players that need to be told to look elsewhere.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Bulldogs players wait for the result of a video review during their loss to Brisbane.
Prominent commentator Phil Gould says the mess at Canterbury won’t be fixed until club powerbrokers make a call on the coaching situation beyond 2020.

The sorry Bulldogs are sitting bottom of the NRL ladder and speculation continues over the coach Dean Pay.

He’s off contract this year and is long odds to be re-signed, but the silence from the board and executives on the matter has been deafening.

On Sunday Pay essentially urged the board to speak publicly on his future or make a decision on who they want as coach for next year.

Gould says the results on the field will not improve until club powerbrokers come out from behind the curtain.

“I’ve got no idea the way the Bulldogs are thinking at the moment, I just know that they probably need - for everybody’s sake there - to make a decision on what it looks like for next year,” Gould said told Wide World Of Sports.

“There’s players coming off contract, there are players considering offers from other clubs, there are young fellas in the club wondering where their future lies, there’ll be staff and coaches wondering what they’re doing.

“And it’s not a good environment. I’ve seen this plenty of times over the years. You can’t have your side functioning in that sort of environment.

“They’re already looking towards next year, they’re not going to make the eight this season. They’ve got to use the rest of this year as a run-up into next year’s preparation and getting ready for next year.

“They’ve got to consider their salary cap and their options for recruitment. Right at the moment, they can’t go out and recruit anyone, they can’t re-sign anyone, they can’t develop anyone because it’s all just in a state of flux.

“They’ve just got to turn around and make some decisions and put everyone’s mind (at ease). I don’t care what those decisions are, I’ve got no idea what they might be... but they’ve got to make some decisions so that everyone knows where they’re going and they can draw a line in the sand and say, ‘all right, well, from tomorrow we’re working towards next year, this is who we’re going with and what we’ve got to do’.”

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...6bc146107882751e18a?__twitter_impression=true

EXCLUSIVE: Bulldogs going nowhere until coaching decision is made, Phil Gould warns

The Bulldogs are stuck in no man's land and must make a decision on coach Dean Pay's future to start their climb out of the abyss, Phil Gould says.
Canterbury are last in the NRL with a single win this season, having lost 26-8 to a poorly-performed Brisbane team on Saturday.
Pay called for clarity over his future after the match. He may get it at a club board meeting this week.
Gould, a premiership-winning Bulldogs coach in 1988, told Wide World of Sports that Canterbury would go nowhere until a definitive call was made.

"I've got no idea the way the Bulldogs are thinking at the moment, I just know that they probably need - for everybody's sake there - to make a decision on what it looks like for next year," Gould said on The Final Whistle.

"There's players coming off-contract, there are players considering offers from other clubs, there are young fellas in the club wondering where their future lies, there'll be staff and coaches wondering what they're doing.
"And it's not a good environment. I've seen this plenty of times over the years. You can't have your side functioning in that sort of environment.
"They're already looking towards next year, they're not going to make the eight this season. They've got to use the rest of this year as a run-up into next year's preparation and getting ready for next year.
"They've got to consider their salary cap and their options for recruitment. Right at the moment, they can't go out and recruit anyone, they can't re-sign anyone, they can't develop anyone because it's all just in a state of flux.
"They've just got to turn around and make some decisions and put everyone's mind [at ease]. I don't care what those decisions are, I've got no idea what they might be; but they've got to make some decisions so that everyone knows where they're going and they can draw a line in the sand and say, 'All right, well, from tomorrow we're working towards next year, this is who we're going with and what we've got to do'."

Pay sacking 'unfair', Raiders gone: JT
Former Bulldogs premiership winner Johnathan Thurston said on Sunday that sacking Pay would be "unfair" because he'd been given little say over the substandard roster at his disposal.
That may not save the coach's neck, with long-running speculation that he may be axed. Pay took Canterbury to 12th-placed finishes in the past two seasons; again with teams that were lightly regarded compared with their NRL opponents, thanks to ongoing salary cap problems and injuries to key players like Kieran Foran.
The Bulldogs just welcomed outstanding England Test prop Luke Thompson to the club but are otherwise gravely thin on elite talent.
They missed out on John Bateman when the Canberra back-rower opted to return to Wigan and are reportedly making a big play for Raiders and NSW Origin star Nick Cotric; who would surely want clarity on the coaching position before giving serious consideration to changing clubs.
Penrith assistant coach and former Manly boss Trent Barrett has been named as a possible replacement if Pay is sacked by the Bulldogs.
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canter...e94a-493c-ac98-269c4cd848e4?ocid=Social-NRLFS
HELP :fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:
But NO Barrett please !!!

WFC03

Waterboy
Reaction score
Even Gus who has no vested interest is irate that the Andersons and Hill are so indecisive and are showing zero urgency...

It's obvious to most that there never was and still isn't a plan and after three years they still have no idea what they're doing.

They're making the club look worse and less attractive by the day with their lack of leadership.
Gould does have a vested interest. He is a player manager now so is probably either looking for players or wants to find a club for some players and knows we have money to spend

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The longer this drags out. The longer I'm starting to think these morons are going to resign Pay. That's if they haven't already.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gould does have a vested interest. He is a player manager now so is probably either looking for players or wants to find a club for some players and knows we have money to spend
I take your point but it's not like he has a stable of players yet so it's about more than that.

I think he's just calling like it is and is as bewildered as everyone else as to why they still haven't made a decision on the coaching situation yet for next year.

Kebab74

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
People scoff at the notion of having Gus involved with the club but he's far superior to any of the maestros we've had running the club over the past two administrations. We could do far worse..
So your a fan of the 30 year plan.. Yes the great Gus must be answer bhahaha

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So your a fan of the 30 year plan.. Yes the great Gus must be answer bhahaha
Did I say he was the answer? Look at Penrith now reaping the benefits of Gus' emphasis on junior development though. At least he had a plan.

I'm sure you think the Andersons and their 300 year plan of not having a plan are better... But hey, why should we change anything? The club is flying at the moment!