Can’t recruit, can’t retain, can’t win: Gus unloads on Bulldogs debacle

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Bulldogs players wait for the result of a video review during their loss to Brisbane.
Prominent commentator Phil Gould says the mess at Canterbury won’t be fixed until club powerbrokers make a call on the coaching situation beyond 2020.

The sorry Bulldogs are sitting bottom of the NRL ladder and speculation continues over the coach Dean Pay.

He’s off contract this year and is long odds to be re-signed, but the silence from the board and executives on the matter has been deafening.

On Sunday Pay essentially urged the board to speak publicly on his future or make a decision on who they want as coach for next year.

Gould says the results on the field will not improve until club powerbrokers come out from behind the curtain.

“I’ve got no idea the way the Bulldogs are thinking at the moment, I just know that they probably need - for everybody’s sake there - to make a decision on what it looks like for next year,” Gould said told Wide World Of Sports.

“There’s players coming off contract, there are players considering offers from other clubs, there are young fellas in the club wondering where their future lies, there’ll be staff and coaches wondering what they’re doing.

“And it’s not a good environment. I’ve seen this plenty of times over the years. You can’t have your side functioning in that sort of environment.

“They’re already looking towards next year, they’re not going to make the eight this season. They’ve got to use the rest of this year as a run-up into next year’s preparation and getting ready for next year.

“They’ve got to consider their salary cap and their options for recruitment. Right at the moment, they can’t go out and recruit anyone, they can’t re-sign anyone, they can’t develop anyone because it’s all just in a state of flux.

“They’ve just got to turn around and make some decisions and put everyone’s mind (at ease). I don’t care what those decisions are, I’ve got no idea what they might be... but they’ve got to make some decisions so that everyone knows where they’re going and they can draw a line in the sand and say, ‘all right, well, from tomorrow we’re working towards next year, this is who we’re going with and what we’ve got to do’.”

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...6bc146107882751e18a?__twitter_impression=true

EXCLUSIVE: Bulldogs going nowhere until coaching decision is made, Phil Gould warns

The Bulldogs are stuck in no man's land and must make a decision on coach Dean Pay's future to start their climb out of the abyss, Phil Gould says.
Canterbury are last in the NRL with a single win this season, having lost 26-8 to a poorly-performed Brisbane team on Saturday.
Pay called for clarity over his future after the match. He may get it at a club board meeting this week.
Gould, a premiership-winning Bulldogs coach in 1988, told Wide World of Sports that Canterbury would go nowhere until a definitive call was made.

"I've got no idea the way the Bulldogs are thinking at the moment, I just know that they probably need - for everybody's sake there - to make a decision on what it looks like for next year," Gould said on The Final Whistle.

"There's players coming off-contract, there are players considering offers from other clubs, there are young fellas in the club wondering where their future lies, there'll be staff and coaches wondering what they're doing.
"And it's not a good environment. I've seen this plenty of times over the years. You can't have your side functioning in that sort of environment.
"They're already looking towards next year, they're not going to make the eight this season. They've got to use the rest of this year as a run-up into next year's preparation and getting ready for next year.
"They've got to consider their salary cap and their options for recruitment. Right at the moment, they can't go out and recruit anyone, they can't re-sign anyone, they can't develop anyone because it's all just in a state of flux.
"They've just got to turn around and make some decisions and put everyone's mind [at ease]. I don't care what those decisions are, I've got no idea what they might be; but they've got to make some decisions so that everyone knows where they're going and they can draw a line in the sand and say, 'All right, well, from tomorrow we're working towards next year, this is who we're going with and what we've got to do'."

Pay sacking 'unfair', Raiders gone: JT
Former Bulldogs premiership winner Johnathan Thurston said on Sunday that sacking Pay would be "unfair" because he'd been given little say over the substandard roster at his disposal.
That may not save the coach's neck, with long-running speculation that he may be axed. Pay took Canterbury to 12th-placed finishes in the past two seasons; again with teams that were lightly regarded compared with their NRL opponents, thanks to ongoing salary cap problems and injuries to key players like Kieran Foran.
The Bulldogs just welcomed outstanding England Test prop Luke Thompson to the club but are otherwise gravely thin on elite talent.
They missed out on John Bateman when the Canberra back-rower opted to return to Wigan and are reportedly making a big play for Raiders and NSW Origin star Nick Cotric; who would surely want clarity on the coaching position before giving serious consideration to changing clubs.
Penrith assistant coach and former Manly boss Trent Barrett has been named as a possible replacement if Pay is sacked by the Bulldogs.
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canter...e94a-493c-ac98-269c4cd848e4?ocid=Social-NRLFS

Last edited:

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the only people that think they can ride this out is the board. Everyone else knows a decision should have been made weeks ago.
100% and fairly the board are finally being called out by not only fans and members but analysts of the game. They've been sitting behind the scenes for far too long without anything having eventuated.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Even Gus who has no vested interest is irate that the Andersons and Hill are so indecisive and are showing zero urgency...

It's obvious to most that there never was and still isn't a plan and after three years they still have no idea what they're doing.

They're making the club look worse and less attractive by the day with their lack of leadership.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Even Gus who has no vested interest is irate that the Andersons and Hill are so indecisive and are showing zero urgency...

It's obvious to most that there never was and still isn't a plan and after three years they still have no idea what they're doing.

They're making the club look worse and less attractive by the day with their lack of leadership.
That's the sad thing though isn't it, there is no plan.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's unacceptable after this long. It makes it pretty hard to sell the vision of the club to players they're trying to recruit when there isn't one and they have no idea who the coach will be.

It's amateur hour 24/7 at Belmore.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's unacceptable after this long. It makes it pretty hard to sell the vision of the club to players they're trying to recruit when there isn't one and they have no idea who the coach will be.

It's amateur hour 24 hours a day at Belmore.
It's three seasons in now. If it was the first year after the previous board I'd be accepting and understanding BUT we are three years into this new boards tenure and we haven't actually made any progression. If the Bulldogs were a publicly listed company then this board would have been ousted after six months.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Im starting to think siphoning money and looking after their son was the long term goal. They can't get Ben as it's probably been blocked so they dunno what to do so just taking us for a ride.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything Gus said is 1000% obvious to anyone with a single brain cell. Even the clowns on the board know this so it seems like the only reason they're not making a decision is because they're indecisive - in other words, they're too scared to make a call. How can you be a leader and be indecisive - those 2 things don't match. It's like being a stand up comic who's afraid of public speaking - it wont work.
Even if we get a new coach, its clear we need a new board. This board incompetence shit was funny when it happened to Parra but now for some reason its not funny anymore. No idea why

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This board is a fail. No doubt they have individual success stories elsewhere, but maybe they are just too close to the Bulldogs to be good at the Bulldogs, it's almost as if they are so scared of making the wrong decision that they are doing the only thing that is even worse, not making a decision at all.

Bullfrog was a rare gem, he could be close to something yet still make hard decisions. At this stage it feels as though the family club needs some direction from a sharp operator who isn't too close to things. We need some decisiveness, the players and staff need it even more.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Everything Gus said is 1000% obvious to anyone with a single brain cell. Even the clowns on the board know this so it seems like the only reason they're not making a decision is because they're indecisive - in other words, they're too scared to make a call.
Great minds...

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Gus is correct we need to make a call one way or another and get on with recruitment. I can’t imagine a player going to a club when they don’t know who the coach is... unless you offer double their salary.. wouldn’t happen..

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Bulldogs players wait for the result of a video review during their loss to Brisbane.
Prominent commentator Phil Gould says the mess at Canterbury won’t be fixed until club powerbrokers make a call on the coaching situation beyond 2020.

The sorry Bulldogs are sitting bottom of the NRL ladder and speculation continues over the coach Dean Pay.

He’s off contract this year and is long odds to be re-signed, but the silence from the board and executives on the matter has been deafening.

On Sunday Pay essentially urged the board to speak publicly on his future or make a decision on who they want as coach for next year.

Gould says the results on the field will not improve until club powerbrokers come out from behind the curtain.

“I’ve got no idea the way the Bulldogs are thinking at the moment, I just know that they probably need - for everybody’s sake there - to make a decision on what it looks like for next year,” Gould said told Wide World Of Sports.

“There’s players coming off contract, there are players considering offers from other clubs, there are young fellas in the club wondering where their future lies, there’ll be staff and coaches wondering what they’re doing.

“And it’s not a good environment. I’ve seen this plenty of times over the years. You can’t have your side functioning in that sort of environment.

“They’re already looking towards next year, they’re not going to make the eight this season. They’ve got to use the rest of this year as a run-up into next year’s preparation and getting ready for next year.

“They’ve got to consider their salary cap and their options for recruitment. Right at the moment, they can’t go out and recruit anyone, they can’t re-sign anyone, they can’t develop anyone because it’s all just in a state of flux.

“They’ve just got to turn around and make some decisions and put everyone’s mind (at ease). I don’t care what those decisions are, I’ve got no idea what they might be... but they’ve got to make some decisions so that everyone knows where they’re going and they can draw a line in the sand and say, ‘all right, well, from tomorrow we’re working towards next year, this is who we’re going with and what we’ve got to do’.”

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...6bc146107882751e18a?__twitter_impression=true

EXCLUSIVE: Bulldogs going nowhere until coaching decision is made, Phil Gould warns

The Bulldogs are stuck in no man's land and must make a decision on coach Dean Pay's future to start their climb out of the abyss, Phil Gould says.
Canterbury are last in the NRL with a single win this season, having lost 26-8 to a poorly-performed Brisbane team on Saturday.
Pay called for clarity over his future after the match. He may get it at a club board meeting this week.
Gould, a premiership-winning Bulldogs coach in 1988, told Wide World of Sports that Canterbury would go nowhere until a definitive call was made.

"I've got no idea the way the Bulldogs are thinking at the moment, I just know that they probably need - for everybody's sake there - to make a decision on what it looks like for next year," Gould said on The Final Whistle.

"There's players coming off-contract, there are players considering offers from other clubs, there are young fellas in the club wondering where their future lies, there'll be staff and coaches wondering what they're doing.
"And it's not a good environment. I've seen this plenty of times over the years. You can't have your side functioning in that sort of environment.
"They're already looking towards next year, they're not going to make the eight this season. They've got to use the rest of this year as a run-up into next year's preparation and getting ready for next year.
"They've got to consider their salary cap and their options for recruitment. Right at the moment, they can't go out and recruit anyone, they can't re-sign anyone, they can't develop anyone because it's all just in a state of flux.
"They've just got to turn around and make some decisions and put everyone's mind [at ease]. I don't care what those decisions are, I've got no idea what they might be; but they've got to make some decisions so that everyone knows where they're going and they can draw a line in the sand and say, 'All right, well, from tomorrow we're working towards next year, this is who we're going with and what we've got to do'."

Pay sacking 'unfair', Raiders gone: JT
Former Bulldogs premiership winner Johnathan Thurston said on Sunday that sacking Pay would be "unfair" because he'd been given little say over the substandard roster at his disposal.
That may not save the coach's neck, with long-running speculation that he may be axed. Pay took Canterbury to 12th-placed finishes in the past two seasons; again with teams that were lightly regarded compared with their NRL opponents, thanks to ongoing salary cap problems and injuries to key players like Kieran Foran.
The Bulldogs just welcomed outstanding England Test prop Luke Thompson to the club but are otherwise gravely thin on elite talent.
They missed out on John Bateman when the Canberra back-rower opted to return to Wigan and are reportedly making a big play for Raiders and NSW Origin star Nick Cotric; who would surely want clarity on the coaching position before giving serious consideration to changing clubs.
Penrith assistant coach and former Manly boss Trent Barrett has been named as a possible replacement if Pay is sacked by the Bulldogs.
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/canter...e94a-493c-ac98-269c4cd848e4?ocid=Social-NRLFS
This only confirms that Gus also reads the forums :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ordinarily I wouldn't be a fan of the club being in the media like this but I like that these articles are shining a light on the current board. Lynne essentially shifting the goal posts for the rebuild to 2023 last week showed me that there's an alarming lack of urgency with the club's leadership at the moment. Or even worse, there's no proper plan in place and they're stalling.

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
gus is right on this one, but he also recommended to the dragons board that Mary was retained lmao

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
the board can f@#k off as well, they are a major part of the problem

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
gus is right on this one, but he also recommended to the dragons board that Mary was retained lmao
Gus gave the Dragons recommendations based on their budget. Paying out McGregor is expensive. When you bring in someone like Flanagan the head coach doesn't matter as much anymore.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were quick to ask to keep everybody's membership money this year........