Are there too many teams in the NrL?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I think about this a lot and I think there's at least 2 too many teams in the nrl.

on talent alone I actually think we should have ten teams, but I got to be real. If we go the reduction route. It needs to be a small cut otherwise the fans will go cray cray.

In the NFL there's a team per 15 million people but in the nrl it's a team per 400000 (can't count south and west states). Half the teams are broke and it's a players market with how scarce the talent is. Just look at our fight for Cotric.with balance I'd expect that to be a player on Cherry Evans level but we are fighting for a fringe origin player.
It's ok when RL was community and urban but now it's pro and national, yet if you're a Samoan who's aggressive who can catch a ball you are in the system.

just look at the quality difference between origin and nrl and how much better the game was when it was reduced from 22 to 14 in the late nineties.
And teams that are profitable aren't even from the footy. It's from gambling or rich friends or apartments- not the product.

only thing is who do we punt?

Cronulla is the obvious because it's at George territory and small.

I'd like to think the titans because no one likes them and they are shit. But there's an argument they are needed for the SEQ footprint.

If they survive then I think it has to be us. Shambolic club. In a territory that's easily gangbanged from three ends in Parra, tigers and saints. We have a decent supporter base but it's a bad rep supporter base and it's dwindling.

I think we are the next Nth Sydney. Once were Warriors.

however the leagues club backing probably helps in real terms. Nasheed.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
16 is fine. Warriors have a whole country to themselves. Titans are the only team that have regularly featured at the bottom of the ladder (I personally like the direction they're going in and decisions they're making in regards to roster). I wouldn't include us due to our salary cap restrictions. I think the biggest thing is how many teams are competitive for the eight. There are only a couple of teams that are realistically a chance of winning the premiership every year. A lot of teams also go through cycles.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
16 is fine. Warriors have a whole country to themselves. Titans are the only team that have regularly featured at the bottom of the ladder (I personally like the direction they're going in and decisions they're making in regards to roster). I wouldn't include us due to our salary cap restrictions. I think the biggest thing is how many teams are competitive for the eight. There are only a couple of teams that are realistically a chance of winning the premiership every year. A lot of teams also go through cycles.
The problem for me is in NZ, they decided to position the game as being for the hood. The poor Islander parts of south Auckland mainly. To attract islanders to the game.
It worked, but at what cost?
The white population aren't into it and follow rugby. I speak to white kiwis and they have said it's a poly game only. I see this in all walks of life, politics, marketing etc where they target the hearts of minorities at the expense of the majority!
All through their junior systems it's Islander and islanders grow quicker than whites and arabs and Indians so they never enter the game.
When is the last time you have seen a white player from the NZ system? Don't count Foran or Covell or Nightingale because they were Australian raised and in the Aussie system.
I think Gary freeman or Sorensen was the last one in the early 80s. 40 years ago. So no one in the warriors era and that's sad.
my point is that yes the warriors have the whole NZ but the whole NZ don't Identify with the warriors. My Indian And white friends from across the ditch go for the roosters and bulldogs, and love Union way more.

DublinDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If Nasheed thinks there are too many, then I think there are not enough

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Souths should be the first to go, i mean, they were kicked out before :laughing:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Souths should be the first to go, i mean, they were kicked out before :laughing:
And look what happened ?
200,000 people marched in the street to demand reinstatement. You cannot get rid of the pride of the league. The most successful team of all time and most supported Sydney team are too important.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
And look what happened ?
200,000 people marched in the street to demand reinstatement. You cannot get rid of the pride of the league. The most successful team of all time and most supported Sydney team are too important.
tenor.gif

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow another post from this clown that is all about race? When are we going to see a permaban?

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wow another post from this clown that is all about race? When are we going to see a permaban?
I think its turned from trolling into genuine piteous cries for attention. Quite funny and sad haha.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Ffs. I didn't think the forum Wild child would take that stance against another member.
it's not a racial thing at all. It's a numbers thing. If you market yourself purely to a 25% segment of the population and ignore the 70% market then you can't be surprised that in the entire existence of the NRL you have not produced one player from that 70 percent market in your entire NRL existence. When at the same time there are Ruggy Union sides where the majority of the squad are from that 70% percent that the warriors have never produced a player from. Including the All Blacks! 6A48E288-CD68-4BB6-A72D-A50081C934C3.png

Last edited:

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I lived in Auckland, went to nearly all there home games and have many Kiwi mates.

They're all majority white and everyone at least in Auckland keeps up with the Warriors. Indian, Asian, Islander and Eurpeans. Didn't matter.

It's true that mainly the islanders are the talent coming through, but that's not a Warriors issue that's a Junior Rugby League issue.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I lived in Auckland, went to nearly all there home games and have many Kiwi mates.

They're all majority white and everyone at least in Auckland keeps up with the Warriors. Indian, Asian, Islander and Eurpeans. Didn't matter.

It's true that mainly the islanders are the talent coming through, but that's not a Warriors issue that's a Junior Rugby League issue.
Hmmm if warriors have a lot of white fans that's good but it isn't reflective of my kiwi friends or the faces in the warriors crowd. I hope you are right.
But yeah I hope we can find some middle ground that if warriors were to improve they at least have to tap into the 70% European market player pool who exclusively play union.

It's a really big thing no one talks about that no European person plays league in NZ yet dominate Super rugby.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Scooby here :tonguewink:

yes Enough teams, keeps the comp competitive, and these posts your doing Nasheed never get a lot of love mate.!!!

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ffs. I didn't think the forum Wild child would take that stance against another member.
it's not a racial thing at all. It's a numbers thing. If you market yourself purely to a 25% segment of the population and ignore the 70% market then you can't be surprised that in the entire existence of the NRL you have not produced one player from that 70 percent market in your entire NRL existence. When at the same time there are Ruggy Union sides where the majority of the squad are from that 70% percent that the warriors have never produced a player from. Including the All Blacks! View attachment 15885
I’m not sure why you enjoy race baiting but it’s getting out of hand.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Scooby here :tonguewink:

yes Enough teams, keeps the comp competitive, and these posts your doing Nasheed never get a lot of love mate.!!!
Sometimes I think I'm the forgotten poster no one listened too :(