News Barrett

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Would Paul Green be an option, or is he past it?
He’d be a risk but he’d bring some talent and he would be a good halves coach for the halves we have now and he would have a point to prove

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Barrett feels more like a sidewards step than a forward one.

As much as I hate the ****, what about Shane Flanagan, I know he has cheated the system a few times but so has Bellamy, Flanagan seems like a decent coach based off the way his teams played. Get him in and entice his son Kyle Flanagan to come when he is off contract at the end of next season.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Not of a fan of anything Manly for obvious reasons.

Reactions: ATT

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

As much as I hate the c***, what about Shane Flanagan, I know he has cheated the system a few times but so has Bellamy, Flanagan seems like a decent coach based off the way his teams played. Get him in and entice his son Kyle Flanagan to come when he is off contract at the end of next season.
I had that same thought actually, Kyle is a great player, and if we can sign dad and he follows it would be a good outcome, however the Barrett news is very loud and gaining momentum it seems.!! Seems flanno is sitting in the dragons box beside Mary at the moment though.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

As much as I hate the c***, what about Shane Flanagan, I know he has cheated the system a few times but so has Bellamy, Flanagan seems like a decent coach based off the way his teams played. Get him in and entice his son Kyle Flanagan to come when he is off contract at the end of next season.
He’s nothing special. Plus he’s a grub.

My grandmother could’ve coached that juiced up Sharks roster to the Premiership in ‘16

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Could actually work out to. Factor in Keary playing for ages if he doesn't get anymore head knocks and young Sam Walker who will be ready in a couple years and of course Lam.

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's no point saying get this person or that person as an assistant, coaches will pretty much want to pick and choose most of it not all of their staff.
Are u happy if Barrett coaches? I get a feeling he’s not much better than Pay.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
This is Nasheed talking now. No one else but I.

This is our priority in coaches in my opinion.
1 Flanagan (I know I know how some of y'all feel but in my opinion, he's one of the best in the business and has 'crumbs on the board' with experience lifting a side like us, Cronulla out of their hole With savvy recruitment. To be honest even the whole peptide stuff was creative. Getting a sports scientist involved. To this day we are still unsure of what they did constituted cheating. It's a blurred line.
2. Bennett. You know what yo are gong to get with him. Simple mistake free football with guys who love playing for him and will come to the club for him. Kind of like a one night stand. You don't want to marry Because of haram but suits the here and now.
3. Wane. If all else fails why not? Let's find out if he is the Irish Craig Bellamy as reported. What to lose?

4. pay. Anything else is a sidestep at this point and he was with us in our dark times so we deserve to be there for his.C2ED68BA-F13F-42C3-B0A9-6F23FAA0D64A.jpeg

Karl

Waterboy
Reaction score
That’s why I’m worried about what will happen if Barrett comes here.
You are right. Barrett is a major concern if the board decides to go with him. His proven track record with Manly is of any indication, then we are in trouble again.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think he's past it as a coach, I do think his time with that Cowboys squad is over though as they are too laid back for their own good.

Put Green in the pressure cooker environment that is Sydney and I think he'd go ok.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think he's past it as a coach, I do think his time with that Cowboys squad is over though as they are too laid back for their own good.

Put Green in the pressure cooker environment that is Sydney and I think he'd go ok.
Green has done a shocking job at the Cowboys the last several seasons.. They only won a comp because of Thurston and co and the foundations that Murray built. Since then, they've been horrible despite having a tonne of talent.

If he can't handle Nth Qld where there is no media pressure, how would he handle a sinking ship in the pressure cooker of Sydney?

His record the last three years is 8-16, 9-15 and 3-6... That's a total of 20-37 for a 35% win percentage. Thanks but no thanks.

Last edited:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you that intent on seeing our club struggle that you'd suggest a horrible coach like Green?

He's done a shocking job at the Cowboys and doesn't deserve another job. They only won a comp because of Thurston and co and the foundations that Murray built. Since then, they've been horrible despite having a tonne of talent.

If he can't handle Nth Qld where there is no pressure, how would he handle a sinking ship in the pressure cooker of Sydney?
Out of your choices available Green would be in the mix. Not saying he's the one for your club, but if you're looking at someone with recent success, he's had that. One of the biggest issues for the Cowboys over recent years has been there retention and recruitment, they let Kikau go and keep Gavin Cooper, they let Brandon Smith go and keep Jake Granville, they let Ponga go and keep Barba and then bring Holmes back.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Out of your choices available Green would be in the mix. Not saying he's the one for your club, but if you're looking at someone with recent success, he's had that. One of the biggest issues for the Cowboys over recent years has been there retention and recruitment, they let Kikau go and keep Gavin Cooper, they let Brandon Smith go and keep Jake Granville, they let Ponga go and keep Barba and then bring Holmes back.
He hasn't had recent success though. He's 20-37 in his last three seasons. He has way too much baggage and has lost the respect of his players which is a huge red flag..

I don't think Green has any tactical nous and doesn't know how to utilise the rule changes even though he has a squad full of talented players who should thrive under these rules.. His selections and rotations are also mind boggling at times. We don't need more of the same issues that we currently have with Pay.

We need someone either with a proven record and who has shown they can rebuild a club (Griffin - 55% record over 170 games), take a chance on a highly rated coach who's been in the ESL (Wane, Lam) or an assistant like Fitzgibbon. If Politis ever lets him break his "handshake agreement" that is..

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck no. Seriously, fuck no. Look at this record and the cowboys attack. They have better spine players than we do and their attack still stinks. Their attack is slow and predictable...sound familiar.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
question how does Barrett even have time to coach? There can't be much spare time between going to the gym and looking in the mirror?
However he may have a fresh attitude on fitness.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My concern with barrett is being relatively short in experience, he may not be able to get his way in running the team, in recruitment etc.
But may be thats why they are considering him. If they are, that is. No way they can tell the likes of bennett or bellamy how to manage things.