News Sunday Footy Show

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'd be happy for him to stay on as an assistant coach, I now think we need someone with a better football brain than Pay to be head coach. He's been given an atrocious squad to work with, losing CHN, Elliot and Hopoate has done him no favours either. Unfortunately I just don't think we'll attract the players we need while he's coach. The board needs to make a call soon so everyone can move forward.
What good would he be as assistant coach? He brings nothing to the team and not needed.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok some say Pay hasn’t had the cattle.... but what has he actually done to change things up or put his stamp on the team?

we still play basically the same style as we did under Hasler but with worse defence, Tolman still hits it up every 4th tackle and the halves look lost... I haven’t seen him change anything up Or try anything new

from memory he was the raiders defensive coach and that area of their game was their biggest weakness until Pay left

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
3 out of 4 calls for him to stay... Obviously the kennel don't listen to triple M LMFAO

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
None of those callers offered anything of quality. Makes the Dogs supporters sound like simpletons.

Mbye and woods being moved on was great. Mbye is below average and single handily conceded four tries the other night.

Reynolds 400k for 2 seasons would be a big mistake, so I’m glad the board blocked that horrible idea. Probably the only good they’ve done.

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
To be fair. Replacing a proven head coach with finals experience with a coach with none was a massive error.
We have all learnt that now. Putting in Barrett will be another stupid move

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
To be fair. Replacing a proven head coach with finals experience with a coach with none was a massive error.
We have all learnt that now. Putting in Barrett will be another stupid move
The previous board didn't give us an option. I'm pretty sure they're the ones who sacked Des (not the current board which I previously thought). No top coach would touch us due to our salary cap position. Coaching the Bulldogs in 2018, 2019 and 2020 was/is a suicide mission. Ideally we would/should of kept Des. At the time sacking Des didn't make any sense to me either. More than half the fan base was happy with it even knowing they'd get someone like Pay tho (a rebuild coach). Des wouldn't of done much better either with this roster if I'm being honest (he'd be copping the same shit as Pay).

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Harsh mate. I hold no grudges against anyone that did things during super league, particularly those that wanted to stay loyal to the ARL. Good on him for taking a job no one else wanted or had the guts to take on
I would have taken it on if asked ...

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regardless of its true or not the pay sacking shouldn’t be the only one ,the board should resign,en masse,for the state they have left my club in.how can we possibly move forward with this lot in charge.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
People say he’s been hung out to dry, how has he? He took the job on knowing full well the mess we were in. It was his call to release Mbye and Woods. We could of held onto them. It was his call to only offer the Morris boys 1 more season. His recruitment has been horrible. We have gone backwards this season. He continually plays players out of position. It speaks volumes that his message to RFM is run hard tackle hard. Yeah no fucking shit. Our attack is so bad it’s not even funny. I can’t even think of one set play we’ve scored from in his 3 years.
I agree with your whole post mate the point I am making is that the board that extended him and are just as much if not more to blame for our current situation have hung him out to dry by staying silent while he’s facing the music on his own. Pay is a shit coach and has to go but the board is piss weak hiding from the media and fans and remaining silent

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Des wouldn't of done much better either with this roster if I'm being honest (he'd be copping the same shit as Pay).
Guarantee we would have done much better with Des, that is the idiocy of the decision.

Also maybe we wouldn't of lost Klemmer & kept other players that have left if Des had remained as coach.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'd be happy for him to stay on as an assistant coach, I now think we need someone with a better football brain than Pay to be head coach. He's been given an atrocious squad to work with, losing CHN, Elliot and Hopoate has done him no favours either. Unfortunately I just don't think we'll attract the players we need while he's coach. The board needs to make a call soon so everyone can move forward.
Agree but he is not suitable as an Asst here either. What could he teach them?

New coach needs their own new staff...we are that far down we can't have any loser carryover at all...and that goes for roster as well.

You just shake your head at how long some respectability and success is going to take.

Next coach will be pushing it up hill unless they are a very forceful, competent and experienced recruiter.

Hook or Flanaghan if available. Assts Ware and Barrett. Fulltime Halves coach. Fulltime forwards defence coach. With a clean out of all jobs for the boys through to junior development and every aspect of operations.

Get Gould in to organise a blueprint. He is the only person with enough clout to be listened to.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree but he is not suitable as an Asst here either. What could he teach them?

New coach needs their own new staff...we are that far down we can't have any loser carryover at all...and that goes for roster as well.

You just shake your head at how long some respectability and success is going to take.

Next coach will be pushing it up hill unless they are a very forceful, competent and experienced recruiter.

Hook or Flanaghan if available. Assts Ware and Barrett. Fulltime Halves coach. Fulltime forwards defence coach. With a clean out of all jobs for the boys through to junior development and every aspect of operations.

Get Gould in to organise a blueprint. He is the only person with enough clout to be listened to.
100% agree on the post - especially regarding the coaching staff. Love the "loser carryover" line
We need a FRESH start. Clear all the deadwood

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
People say he’s been hung out to dry, how has he? He took the job on knowing full well the mess we were in. It was his call to release Mbye and Woods. We could of held onto them. It was his call to only offer the Morris boys 1 more season. His recruitment has been horrible. We have gone backwards this season. He continually plays players out of position. It speaks volumes that his message to RFM is run hard tackle hard. Yeah no fucking shit. Our attack is so bad it’s not even funny. I can’t even think of one set play we’ve scored from in his 3 years.
If you think pay made any decisions on recruitment or retention you have serious issues. Apart from a couple of staff selections even Stevie g wasn't a pay choice but board choice. Pay has been hung out. Doesn't excuse the poor selections or coaching but no doubt pay hasn't had support.

Last edited:

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Pay gets the sack, i was told last year when there was speculation that Chris Anderson will step in as care taker coach. Wonder how true that is?