News Barrett

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Barrett deal is not done yet but Canterbury officials have earmarked him as their No.1 target.

Another journo throwing darts
I'd simply define it as 'Another idiot making stupid comments'.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Towards the end of his tenure at manly a reliable source tiped him off that Hasler had secretly agreed to come back. The source was one of the board of directors at Pen health. Out of respect to Barrett, that’s why Barrett caused a fus about the chairs and locking rooms, to leave on his own terms not the penns.
Very interesting, I guess though if this was agreed before then he obviously wasn't setting the world alight.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
correct me if im wrong, but didn't Barrett blood the turbo bothers, and didn't Barrett build the current squad that DES took over. So its barretts team that's excelling at Manly not Des team...
From memory Barrett took over when they were struggling after Toovey left and the in fighting at Manly was as bad as what we're going through now.

Barrett took over with no resources and an average roster. They started off well and looked way better in attack but then a few months in, things started falling apart and they were losing games regularly.

I might be wrong on the above but that's how I remember things unfolding.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Very interesting, I guess though if this was agreed before then he obviously wasn't setting the world alight.
Don't think so.
Wasn't there a big gap between Barrett & Des being appointed? I'm sure there was.

Also it tool Manly a long time to decide they would give Des another chance as he was stained with shit from his departure from Canterbury.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok some misconceptions about Barrett , when he took “over “ he had bozo helping him and we all know bozo , he would have been running the show. When he fell out with bozo / or it was that he didn’t want bozos help was when they basically came 15th that year .
As for attracting players , not sure why he would be an attraction to players he is not a super coach - api didn’t join panthers because of him , it was because they paid him $100k extra and all articles on the signing always talk about coffee between Cleary and api , no mention of Barrett .

I personally would go for hook , has higher winning percentage than all the rest of the available coaches, not scared to blood young players

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
correct me if im wrong, but didn't Barrett blood the turbo bothers, and didn't Barrett build the current squad that DES took over. So its barretts team that's excelling at Manly not Des team...
He’s not as bad as people say, he’s respected also him and Ennis are close , also played together for NSW.. I’m not against Barrett but I want this board gone especially Anderson I hVe no faith in her what so ever she’s fucking useless still today ZERO talking all silence while pays probably getting 50 calls an hour from journos asking about his job. He looks lost and defeated . Worst board we’ve had .

ideally Andrew demetriou, or Greenberg to come in and sort this joint out , or just Dunn he is a business mind but personally dont know much about him .

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
im not pro barrett. Just dont think its fair for some ppl here to highlight manly's position in his last year. He took manly to top 8 the year before that and they played decent footy then. Pretty sure bookies placed them in bottom 3 at start of that year.
Lets not forget fonua blake made a name for himself under barrett. Fainu was blooded during his time. Api made a come back. Trbo bros made rep side. I thought dce had gone another level too. Even kelly looked fine then.
Again im not pro barrett. Just dont think hes as bad as some ppl made him to be.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s not as bad as people say, he’s respected also him and Ennis are close , also played together for NSW.. I’m not against Barrett but I want this board gone especially Anderson I hVe no faith in her what so ever she’s fucking useless still today ZERO talking all silence while pays probably getting 50 calls an hour from journos asking about his job. He looks lost and defeated . Worst board we’ve had .

ideally Andrew demetriou, or Greenberg to come in and sort this joint out , or just Dunn he is a business mind but personally dont know much about him .
lol if you ever thought the NRL picked on the dogs beforehand , if Greenberg were to comeback the dogs would get hammered way way more

Old Dog 63

Waterboy
Reaction score
If nobody in the club is speaking with Kevin Walters about a head coaching role at the Dogs then we are a complete basket case.

Forget Barrett, with Walters coaching it would open up a whole new development pathway and access to some very good juniors that won’t break the bank. The club needs to be “future proofed” and not provided with a quick sugar hit.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Pretty close Bozo was the recruiter though. Hook n Baz would work for me.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

The board is mostly made up of a bunch of nobodies that simply can't provide the resources required to run a successful football club. For all the mistakes the previous board made they still provided the club with the resources to be successful.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FUKN ANYBODY BUT PAY ATMMMMMMM FARKKK!!!

Dont think Barrett is a future premiership winner though.

DaddyCool

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Guys, if you think Des was an under-cover agent sent on a mission to crush, kill, destroy... you ain't seen nothing yet!
Run. Run fast & don't look back!

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
BAZ IN FOR PAY TO REBUILD BULLDOGS

FROM OUR PARTNERS

One voice, one place. The exclusive home of Alan Jones. Watch Alan Jones LIVE Mon – Thurs 8pm, Sky News.

Trent Barrett is emerging as the favourite to replace Dean Pay as coach of the Canterbury Bulldogs to oversee a major rebuild at Belmore.

The Bulldogs are expected to announce within 48 hours that Pay will finish up once his contract expires at the end of this season.

The Barrett deal is not done yet but Canterbury officials have earmarked him as their No.1 target.

He is currently assisting Ivan Cleary at Penrith and has helped turned the Panthers into a genuine premiership threat.

Barrett is a great coach of playmakers. He helped Daly Cherry-Evans lift his game to become Queensland captain and Kangaroos halfback while under his direction at Manly.

He is also doing a great job with Nathan Cleary at the Panthers.

In Barrett’s favour — ahead of others — is his strong relationship with senior players.

At Canterbury, Barrett would have a $3 million war chest to rebuild the struggling franchise.

SPOTTED III

A couple of out-of-work old Canterbury Bulldogs, NRL and ARU bosses Todd Greenberg and Raelene Castle catching up for lunch at a Japanese eatery in Pyrmont to no doubt chat about their far less stressful lives.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...b/news-story/eac77eacf1c57944bdf5a5a171e2bb2a
If true...
Can any one tell me
What is the GREAT COACH BARRETT doing at Penrith assisting Cleary ?
He has failed at WoManly !!!
We are clutching at straws :rage:

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
From memory Barrett took over when they were struggling after Toovey left and the in fighting at Manly was as bad as what we're going through now.

Barrett took over with no resources and an average roster. They started off well and looked way better in attack but then a few months in, things started falling apart and they were losing games regularly.

I might be wrong on the above but that's how I remember things unfolding.
Manlys attack under Barrett was excellent from memory and he gave Fainu turbo brothers a chance. But their defense was woeful, they were letting in way too many tries including a massive defeat to Roosters
Des came in and fixed that up and they became the mini force they are and could possibly be.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Manlys attack under Barrett was excellent from memory and he gave Fainu turbo brothers a chance. But their defense was woeful, they were letting in way too many tries including a massive defeat to Roosters
Des came in and fixed that up and they became the mini force they are and could possibly be.
Please don't mention the DEVIL'S (Hasler's) name :grinning: