News Silence is deafening: Dogs coach urges club board to make a call on his future

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under-siege Canterbury coach Dean Pay has implored the Bulldogs board to come out and speak publicly about his future in order to ease ongoing speculation.

Pay is off contract this year and his job is the source of constant commentary in the rugby league rumour mill, especially given the team is in desperately bad form.

But the silence out of Belmore has been deafening as club executives and the board refuse to shed any light on the coaching position.

There’s been numerous reports Canterbury is chasing the likes of Craig Bellamy, Eddie Jones, and Wayne Bennett to take the reins and replace Pay at year’s end.
Following Saturday’s 26-8 loss to Brisbane, Pay was asked if he would like the club to come out and address his future.

“That’s up to them. It would be useful for everyone,” he said.

Pay agreed it would help ease pressure on himself and his embattled team, who are struggling to win a game.
Pay took over from axed Des Hasler two years ago but the team hasn’t improved under his watch.

“We can go out into the market and we can look to bolster our recruitment, and that’s what every club wants to do,” he said.

“There’s some kids in there already that are starting to get some games under their belt and they will be better players going forward.

“We’ve got some real positive signs coming soon.

“It’s very hard for everyone at the moment, but we will move forward and we will get better.”

The Bulldogs looked lost as they battled with Brisbane on Saturday to avoid last place on the NRL ladder.
Both sides are in dismal form but Brisbane ended up winning the game rather comfortably.

Pay admitted simple errors cruelled his side.

“Disappointing, it was.

“We came out, we started OK, then we got in a bit of an arm wrestle then Dal turned the ball over. We made too many errors, we defended four or five sets. They got a penalty and three or four six-to-goes.

“Same in the second half, we started OK, then they kicked the ball from halfway and score. If we’re going to compete we have to be better in that area.

“We built a little bit of momentum. The boys dug in, they fought really hard which they’ve been doing.

“We put a few sets together and we looked OK. But again we just shoot ourselves in the foot, not giving ourselves the opportunity to compete with other teams at the moment.”

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The silence or lack of meaningful information from our CEO/board is actually doing more damage to the club at present. Whether or not it’s their intention to lay low.
You’d hope there’s more than just one ace up their sleeves

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he gets resigned then that’ll do me and I mean it this time.... I can’t do this to myself anymore...

This board is as useful as my dogs shit! Between them and our coach I can’t see any positives atall. They can’t even get a fucking sponsor ffs! Seriously pay your dribble is fucked what improvements?

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think they will re-sign him for a year. I was told tonight from what i think is a reputable source they were.
Then they should have resigned him earlier. They really should sack him on Monday let who ever run the team for the rest of the season so they can approach any coach without Pay being there.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If true they are f**ked in the head.
I was told they are going to re-sign him for a year and if he fails again next year they will punt him because 6 coaches are off contract in 2021.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If he gets re signed then everyone should just rip up their memberships

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
“We came out, we started OK, then we got in a bit of an arm wrestle then Dal turned the ball over. We made too many errors, we defended four or five sets. They got a penalty and three or four six-to-goes.

I don't like how he said this, it should be more like "we got into a bit of an arm wrestle, then the guy who has ruined our momentum all season who I decided to pick again made another mistake and then they got on top"

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think they will re-sign him for a year. I was told tonight from what i think is a reputable source they were.
Another year of this will be detrimental to the club and members.
Something has to be done!
Id rather go with Georgallis for a year then Pay for another!

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another year of this will be detrimental to the club and members.
Something has to be done!
Id rather go with Georgallis for a year then Pay for another!
Georgallis would be a catastrophe. Like Joe Biden winning the election.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
In other words he has never fronted the board.
Under-siege Canterbury coach Dean Pay has implored the Bulldogs board to come out and speak publicly about his future in order to ease ongoing speculation.

Pay is off contract this year and his job is the source of constant commentary in the rugby league rumour mill, especially given the team is in desperately bad form.

But the silence out of Belmore has been deafening as club executives and the board refuse to shed any light on the coaching position.

There’s been numerous reports Canterbury is chasing the likes of Craig Bellamy, Eddie Jones, and Wayne Bennett to take the reins and replace Pay at year’s end.
Following Saturday’s 26-8 loss to Brisbane, Pay was asked if he would like the club to come out and address his future.

“That’s up to them. It would be useful for everyone,” he said.

Pay agreed it would help ease pressure on himself and his embattled team, who are struggling to win a game.
Pay took over from axed Des Hasler two years ago but the team hasn’t improved under his watch.

“We can go out into the market and we can look to bolster our recruitment, and that’s what every club wants to do,” he said.

“There’s some kids in there already that are starting to get some games under their belt and they will be better players going forward.

“We’ve got some real positive signs coming soon.

“It’s very hard for everyone at the moment, but we will move forward and we will get better.”

The Bulldogs looked lost as they battled with Brisbane on Saturday to avoid last place on the NRL ladder.
Both sides are in dismal form but Brisbane ended up winning the game rather comfortably.

Pay admitted simple errors cruelled his side.

“Disappointing, it was.

“Same in the second half, we started OK, then they kicked the ball from halfway and score. If we’re going to compete we have to be better in that area.

“We built a little bit of momentum. The boys dug in, they fought really hard which they’ve been doing.

“We put a few sets together and we looked OK. But again we just shoot ourselves in the foot, not giving ourselves the opportunity to compete with other teams at the moment.”