News Walters on radar of Bulldogs and Broncos before crucial clash

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The shadow of Kevin Walters looms over the Broncos-Bulldogs clash as both clubs consider making a play for the Queensland coach if results don’t drastically improve.

The coaching situation at Canterbury is poised to come to a head, potentially as soon as next week, as the blue and whites consider whether to retain the off-contract Dean Pay. The pressure on Brisbane mentor Anthony Seibold is just as intense following a six-game losing streak.

The Broncos sit one win above the last-placed Bulldogs before the Suncorp Stadium encounter, with the spotlight to shine even brighter on the losing clipboard holder.

Sources have told the Herald that Walters is at the pointy end of a shortlist of potential Pay replacements that also includes Trent Barrett, Anthony Griffin, Laurie Daley and Brad Fittler. Walters and Barrett are considered the leading contenders.

A group of influential football club members, who are considering calling an extraordinary general meeting if there isn’t change at the club, have been pushing for Wayne Bennett to be approached. However, the seven-time premiership-winning coach has made a strong public commitment to the Rabbitohs and isn’t expected to be pursued.

Seibold has at his disposal a far superior roster than Pay, a point not lost on those making decisions about the coach at Belmore. But after slumping to last spot on the ladder, and 12th-placed finishes in his previous two seasons at the helm, the ‘family club’ is under pressure to make a call as potential recruits seek certainty over the coach before committing.

In another intriguing twist at Belmore that could have repercussions for up north, the Bulldogs are considering disbanding their Canterbury Cup team to instead use Queensland Cup franchises as their feeder side. Part of the attraction of Walters for the Bulldogs is his familiarity with promising players in the region as well as his connection to elite stars as coach of the Maroons.

There have also been feeder approaches from Wentworthville and Mounties to become home for Canterbury’s second-tier players, with the latter option the early favourite.

However, the most pressing issue is the future of Pay, who spoke about his desire to remain in the role during Friday’s pre-game media conference.

“We’ve worked really hard over the last two or three years to get ourselves in a position where we can start to move forward now. And of course, I want to keep coaching here,” Pay said.

“But my job is to make sure whatever player we do bring in here is a better player and that way, we will make ourselves a better team and a better club. Of course we want to keep progressing and keep moving forward."

Pay said a win against the battling Broncos was vital for the club.

“I think [all games are] crucial. I haven’t spoken to the board about whether they’re making a decision or not but that’s out of my control. I’m just concentrating on our game tomorrow,” Pay said.

“We put 65 minutes of good footy in against Souths last week and, if a couple things go our way, we might have got a result. But at the end of the day, we weren’t good enough.”

If the Bulldogs move early on Walters they could get under the guard of the Broncos, who are second-guessing their decision to sign Seibold. A raft of former Brisbane stars believe Walters should have originally got the job when Bennett was sacked and would welcome his appointment.

While there were suggestions Seibold could reach out to Walters as an assistant, it’s not a role the latter is interested in. The Bulldogs-Walters development adds a further layer of intrigue to Saturday’s must-win game.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...e-s-the-man-for-dogs-job-20200710-p55awd.html

Reactions: Lex

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Out if those mentioned, only griffen appeals personally.

But sure, let's chase an unproven coach who's only ever coached rep teams on Walters, or a dud who flopped harded than a fish out of water in Barrett when given the opportunity to coach manly. Fittler would never leave the blues, chushy gig and he's not a full time coach.

As for LD, I can only :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevvie to Bulldogs?
Kevin Walters is the latest name to appear on the radar of the Canterbury Bulldogs. There is an acknowledgment that seven-time premiership winner Wayne Bennett won’t be at the Bulldogs but Walters has now been suggested by one of the power players behind the scenes at the club.

That's also out of the Australian by Brent Read

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Walters will finally get the Brisbane job when Seibold soon gets sacked.

Hopefully Daley and Fittler were just thrown in to fill space in this article.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out if those mentioned, only griffen appeals personally.

But sure, let's chase an unproven coach who's only ever coached rep teams on Walters, or a dud who flopped harded than a fish out of water in Barrett when given the opportunity to coach manly. Fittler would never leave the blues, chushy gig and he's not a full time coach.

As for LD, I can only :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Exactly Walters would be a risk. I'd rather someone who has coached a FG side and had success (NRL or Super League) so Walters, Fitler and Daley aren't the best options. I don't understand the Barrett link - he has been credited with improving the games of DCE and Cleary but is that enough to be a good coach when he did such a poor job at Manly. If Gus is advising the club he must be the one promoting him.
That leaves Griffin. Surprised Wane isn't on the list.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Walters will finally get the Brisbane job when Seibold soon gets sacked.

Hopefully Daley and Fittler were just thrown in to fill space in this article.
Agree. I think he has his eye on the Broncos job plus I cant see him leaving Queensland. The good thing about the article is it's the 3rd one today so the heat is on baby.
I'm starting to get these naughty feelings of wanting to get spanked tomorrow....by the Broncos I mean. Does that me make a "fake" fan as the pay/board lovers like to suggest?

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree. I think he has his eye on the Broncos job plus I cant see him leaving Queensland. The good thing about the article is it's the 3rd one today so the heat is on baby.
I'm starting to get these naughty feelings of wanting to get spanked tomorrow....by the Broncos I mean. Does that me make a "fake" fan as the pay/board lovers like to suggest?
Absolutely it does you FaKe SuPpOrTeR

Now gtfo :tonguewink:

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If these new "powerbrokwers " are suggesting those coaches, they're fucked

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Trent Barret I would go for. Players seem to like him may be able to recruit Burton, Crighton Etc. Built a decent squad at Manly

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trent Barret I would go for. Players seem to like him may be able to recruit Burton, Crighton Etc. Built a decent squad at Manly
That's one of the few positives for Barrett but it is very concerning that Uncle Des was able to walk into Manly after Barrett was sacked and with the same squad he turned them around in one off season. What does that say about Barrett?

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Guess the power brokers started at the top with Bellamy and Bennett and now they are at the bottom with Daley and Barrett....
How can anyone listen to the media. They have been throwing darts at a board and one of them may be right eventually

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
WTF... Trent Barrett??? I would go form a ticket with Dibb to over throw anyone that hires him. And I don't won't a Dibb return ever.

Faaaarrk.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our board are f..ked if they hire Barrett. He's shown nothing. If we can't get Bellamy or Bennett then Wane would be my next choice. Walters next in line only because of his connections with getting some decent Qld players. Funny if we hired Daley I suppose he would suddenly be reversing his opinion about Cotric being better off staying with the Raiders

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Why are the benefits of disbanding our ISP side?