Andrew Webster (SMH)

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nobody eats their own quite like Canterbury. At Belmore, they eat each other's livers with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

They're about to chew up and spit out coach Dean Pay unless a divided football club board starts backing him and divisive figures at Canterbury Leagues Club stop causing mayhem in the background.

With each passing week, and each Bulldogs' loss, rumours emerge about the dirty tricks being played amid the smoke and mirrors.

Stories about the club wanting to replace Pay with Craig Bellamy, or Wayne Bennett, or even rugby's Eddie Jones, are leaked with the sole intention of stirring the pot and causing trouble.

Do the people spreading this stuff have themselves or their beloved club at heart? You have to wonder.

Canterbury have always been riven with internal politics, but some of the machinations of late prompts one influential figure to offer this: "We're starting to look like the old Parramatta".

Yuck.

Stuck in the middle of all this is Pay, who's off contract at the end of the season and coaching for his professional life.

His side plays the Broncos on Saturday night and while English import Luke Thompson is expected to revel under the NRL's new ruck rules, the Bulldogs are outsiders. Against the Broncos. Who have lost their last six.

Chair Lynne Anderson has hardly backed Pay publicly and the constant speculation is paralysing.

The criticism of the last board, headed by chairman Ray Dib, was that it never "backed or sacked" coach Des Hasler.

He was re-signed but then endured 18 months of speculation about his future. In the end, the uncertainty cost Hasler, Dib and then-chief executive Raelene Castle their positions.

Now, with the Bulldogs rooted to the bottom of the ladder with just one win, the uncertainty is preventing them from signing a major sponsor and recruiting quality players.

And Pay is the one on the slab.

Is he a first-grade coach? Given the issues around the salary cap, injuries to key players then this year's sex scandal that led to Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera being deregistered, it's difficult to judge.

But it's no secret at Belmore that he's not getting enough support from above. Some say he's being set up to fail and that's why a decision on his contract, either way, hasn't been forthcoming.

Initially, he had Anderson's husband, Chris, doing the rounds of the dressing-room after matches, telling players what they were doing wrong before he stood down from the board. The theory about Pay not being surrounded by quality assistant coaches also won't go away.

And you'll struggle to find many people at the Bulldogs say Steve Price has had a positive impact since taking over as general manager of football in August last year.

But what's really hurting Pay is the non-recruitment and botched retention of players.

Consider how the club stuffed up negotiations with favourite son Josh Reynolds.

In desperate need of another experienced playmaker, Pay wanted Reynolds back from the Wests Tigers, if only for the remainder of the year.

It’s not commonly known but there was even talk about a loan deal similar to the one between the Tigers and Storm involving Harry Grant.

Reynolds wanted to come home. He would've provided experience, energy and passion. The price tag was only about $300,000.

But the board rejected the idea, preferring to back the squad's emerging talent and local juniors instead.

Which is fair enough if it's prepared to play the long game.

It didn't take long for the youth policy to be abandoned. The Bulldogs are now after Warriors veteran Blake Green, 33, who's been told by the club's owner he's no longer wanted.

Then there's the contract negotiations with Adam Elliott, who has been the club's most consistent player over the last three seasons.

He's off contract, too, and the Bulldogs simply can't afford to let him go. A smart club would have tabled a big, long-term deal to take away endless conjecture about him leaving.

Instead, the Bulldogs low-balled him. So low that his management is talking to other clubs, which are understandably interested given he's a NSW Origin player of the future.

Anderson and her board swept to power in February 2018 on the promise of change. They were the "Reform Ticket", as you might recall, and they triumphed in one of the ugliest football board elections in recent memory.

Anderson promised "nine pillars" as part of her pitch to members. Among them was a promise to introduce "proper governance, process and accountability", "entrench our Bulldogs culture" and "bring respect back to our club".

They are platitudes, sure, but they're also promises that haven't been met in almost two and a half years.

It will be denied but the board is split and there are rumblings that a plot to overthrow Anderson is imminent.

Meanwhile, Dib and former chairman George Peponis have been sounded out about getting the votes together to hold an extraordinary general meeting to blow the whole thing up and start again.

Understandably, they're reluctant to get involved. But any new ticket would require a respected figurehead prepared to put politics and power to one side in order to turn the club around.

The next football club elections will be held in February 2022.

How will the Bulldogs look then? Will they have come out the other side of this current malaise and look like the new Parramatta instead of the old?

And will Pay be a part of it?

In six seasons at Belmore, in more than a hundred matches including the 1995 premiership, Pay was one of the Bulldogs' most ferocious and hard-working forwards.

As one of their own, he deserves better. At the very least, he deserves to know where he stands.
I have for 3 years called for unity...People laughed and abused !!!
Division allowed the scum media to turn us into a sad circus.
History tells us...Empires are conquered from within !!!

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have for 3 years called for unity...People laughed and abused !!!
Division allowed the scum media to turn us into a sad circus.
History tells us...Empires are conquered from within !!!
I am all for this in theory, but who will hold out the olive branch..? More like they would hand each other gifts that explode..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I can understand why the "hate on Pay at any costs" gang don't agree with Elliot's improved form again this season. One of their mind numbingly endless complaints is that no one has improved under Pay and admitting that Elliott has actual stepped up his game each year for the last 3 goes completely against that complaint. So they deny it, ignore the facts, change the subject, insult the poster that points it out, or the journalist that acknowledges it ........... anything to avoid facing up to the truth, that their "Pay hate" can't handle.
One player that improved under Pay in three seasons (let's ignore Elliott's first season where he looked really good) and you carry on as if he's Jack Gibson.
Please elaborate TwinTurbo, who else aside from Elliott has improved under Pay's brilliant coaching?
And who is to say Elliott improved just because of Pay? Does Elliott himself deserve no credit? I think it's more because he got in great shape during the offseason (unlike the rest of the squad), was given huge minutes on a horrible team to showcase himself and had the extra motivation of playing for a contract.
Did you misread what I posted, please feel free to quote me where I said "he's Jack Gibson"? My point was very simple the "Pay haters" hate the fact that Elliott has actually improved, they ignore it, dismiss it, rage against it and in general their biases refuse to accept the reality that their claim on no one improving is false. I'm glad to see that you agree, he has improved.

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Did you misread what I posted, please feel free to quote me where I said "he's Jack Gibson"? My point was very simple the "Pay haters" hate the fact that Elliott has actually improved, they ignore it, dismiss it, rage against it and in general their biases refuse to accept the reality that their claim on no one improving is false. I'm glad to see that you agree, he has improved.

Go Dogs
No actually quite the contrary, even those that have criticised Elliott like myself have said many times that he's improved a lot this season.

But that's one player out of 30-35 that have played under Pay over the course of three seasons. Who else has improved?

Have we set the bar so low for a coach that one lone player improving during that time but literally every other player in the squad stagnating or regressing badly is now considered an achievement?

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Anderson has to take control of this situation now or step down its spiralling out of control at a dangerous speed. While there’s a few things in this article Webster has added some salt and pepper too a lot of it hits the the mark.
I totally agree.

It's very simple, she needs to come out now and either back Pay or advise that his services will not be needed at the end of the season.

There is absolutely nothing to wait for in terms of "performances" till the end of the year, as we will be at the bottom of the ladder

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No actually quite the contrary, even those that have criticised Elliott like myself have said many times that he's improved a lot this season.
But that's one player out of 30-35 that have played under Pay over the course of three seasons. Who else has improved?
Have we set the bar so low for a coach that one lone player improving during that time but literally every other player in the squad stagnating or regressing badly is now considered an achievement?
The reason for the post is actually pretty simple, I just mentioned Elliott to refute the "no one" bullshit, because quite frankly only someone blinded by their biases couldn't see it and admit to it. Take a look at the posts, the bias is obvious, they reveal themselves with their denial of the reality.

Go Dogs

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Dogs
I feel Dean Pay would be a good forwards assistant coach.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Come to think of it we are worse than St.Merge.

It was only a week or two with the rumblings about Mary, but their board came out wuickly and defused the entire situation. Nothing mentioned about St.Merge since than.

Our situation has been carried out through the media circus for months. It is definitely not a good look for our club at all

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The reason for the post is actually pretty simple, I just mentioned Elliott to refute the "no one" bullshit, because quite frankly only someone blinded by their biases couldn't see it and admit to it. Take a look at the posts, the bias is obvious, they reveal themselves with their denial of the reality.

Go Dogs
But like I said who cares about the semantics? It's one player as opposed to no one. What about the rest of the squad? It's not good enough. Everyone needs to be held accountable.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Come to think of it we are worse than St.Merge.

It was only a week or two with the rumblings about Mary, but their board came out wuickly and defused the entire situation. Nothing mentioned about St.Merge since than.

Our situation has been carried out through the media circus for months. It is definitely not a good look for our club at all
This is why I hope there's no truth to re-signing Pay on a 12 month deal this rubbish will continue to bubble away until next year!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
You'd kind of hope that a bloke in his 5th year of first grade was showing some type of improvements.

You could be right and Pay bought out the best in Adam this year or he might have finally found his feet in the NRL after years of inconsistent football. He's still got plenty to work on mind you.
I got the impression that Elliot and Pay don't see eye to eye. The footage of them in the sheds after his injury was very awkward imo

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Denial of reality??

Twin, if you or anyone else thinks we are travelling ok and that the player fairy's will suddenly sprinkle magic glitter over our recruitment, which will then miraculously turn Dean into a Supercoach..

Then yes there is some denial of reality.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is why I hope there's no truth to re-signing Pay on a 12 month deal this rubbish will continue to bubble away until next year!
One year extensions accomplish sweet fark all.

And, as you said, this time next year the same circus will explode again

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
But like I said who cares about the semantics? It's one player as opposed to no one. What about the rest of the squad? It's not good enough. Everyone needs to be held accountable.
Cling on to the jubilation that there's one player...only one mind you, but one nevertheless.

Please remember to mention how improved AE is when commenting on Pay's inabilities please posters.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I can't wait to see this forum go into meltdown when Pay gets a 1 or 2yr deal. I will be supporting him. Hopefully the rest of you hand your jerseys in and go support someone else.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to see this forum go into meltdown when Pay gets a 1 or 2yr deal. I will be supporting him. Hopefully the rest of you hand your jerseys in and go support someone else.
If he does get a deal so be it at least the board will have finally put their balls on the line.

Just keep that same energy when we are in the same position next year which is a big possibility.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's a difficult one.

Its quite obvious that Pay was giving an extension by the current board to "ride it out", while also not providing him with resources and players to move forward

On the other side of the coin, you had Hasler who was given total control and how did that work out?

There has to be a "middle", so it works both ways with the main goal of the club moving forward.

There are and have been 2 major problems, which has been going on for close to 10 years.

1. Power
2. Egos

Pay, eventually will not be here, though whoever the next coach is, nothing will change unless the egos in the front office do not change

If i was to chose 3 coaches who would suit our club, with what is needed it would be

1. Bellamy
2. Griffin
3. Flanagan (cant stand him, but would be a good fit)

As mentioned, egos upstairs need replacing or repairing before and new coach and blood comes in

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What??

Hand in their jersey and support someone else?? Because a number of supporters want to see action from our club, or direction from our CEO about how we will get off the bottom of the ladder and fix the clusterfuck we have become??

Club : "Quick, run up over that hill"
Blind faith supporter : "but we cant because its an ambush and everyone is getting killed.."
Club : "Dont worry have faith, just run really fast and show your loyalty..."

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sick of them saying we’re lowballing Elliot. ***** been playing first grade for 4 years and isn’t the greatest. He looks good in a shit team. Also no mention of paying overs last time for him. **** only plays good footy in contract years. Fuck off

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume you are excluding original and Australian coaches in that statement?
Hasler and Green won premierships a lot more recently than Stuart did.
JT won that one, not Green. Also Hunts fuck up helped.