BACK TO BELMORE: BULLDOGS EYE $250M UPGRADE

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I really don’t understand why you attack my posts?????? Have you as the attorney of the current administration asked either or all 3
Dear Dinkum Dog Public Defender of the Reform Ticket.
While your blind loyalty & defence of the under performing administration is admirable, by the same token, it lacks credibility. They haven’t progressed the organisation during their tenure.
As you know, all 3 at one time were Patrons of the Club.
My point with these politicians was merely just an example of Bulldogs people in Public Life that could improve the Club’s public and corporate profile. Other examples of Bulldogs Supporters who are public figures M Waugh, J Magnussen, Bill Woods & James Warburton to name a few....
Anyway that’s my point, so on both counts of age and post political career your argument, like the current administration “does not hold water”
To quote a wise poster....
Let’s agree to disagree......,,not!
Er, OK.
How about we disagree to disagree? :-).

Bulldogs 24/7

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bulldogs' Bold Back-Up Plan If Belmore Misses Cut:

While the Bulldogs are keen to build a mini-Bankwest at the club’s spiritual home at Belmore, the club has also commissioned a design for an even bigger stadium at Liverpool.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs planning $250 million super stadium at Belmore and 35,000-seat alternative at Liverpool
While the Bulldogs are keen to build a mini-Bankwest at the club’s spiritual home at Belmore, the club has also commissioned a design for an even bigger stadium at Liverpool.

This is the block of land that is the Bulldogs back-up plan should their bid to build a Bankwest-style stadium at Belmore fail.

The Bulldogs have commissioned the architectural firm behind Wembley Stadium to design a new stadium for both Belmore and also another for a club-owned site at Liverpool.

With confirmation coming on Thursday that Belmore is big enough to fit a brand new 25,000-seat stadium, the Bulldogs have also asked world-renowned architects Populous to draw up plans for a larger 35,000-seat stadium in Liverpool.

The Bulldogs played a handful of games at Belmore ast season. Picture: Grant Trouville/NRL Photos

Determined to be part of the NSW’s governments suburban stadium plan should the NRL win $800 million in state funding, the Bulldogs are hopeful of providing two viable stadium options.

The 35,000 sqm block is located just 16km from both Campbelltown and Parramatta in what would be an ideal location for a second western Sydney stadium. Owned by the Canterbury Leagues club, the Hume Highway site is home to the Whitlam Leisure Centre.

In line with the NRL’s stadium plan, the proposed ground could be shared by at least three NRL teams, with the Tigers second home ground at Campbelltown just down the road and Penrith nearby.

Canterbury chief executive Andrew Hill was reluctant to divulge details of the plan but confirmed the club was exploring multiple stadium options.

“The club is a wonderful position with the large parcel of land we own in Liverpool,” Hill said.

The Canterbury Leagues Club own the Whitlam Leisure Centre site in Liverpool, which would be an ideal location for a second western Sydney stadium.

“Credit must go to the past administration to have the foresight to purchase the land. There are a number of potentials uses that the club can consider, one of which may be a stadium or a high-performance centre.”

Hill made it clear the Bulldogs preference was to make a full-time return to Belmore with a 25,000-seat stadium at the centre of a $250 million homecoming plan..

“We certainly have started a conversation with the NRL and with architects to look at what can be done at Belmore Sports Ground,” Hill said.

“While it is very preliminary and subject to NSW’s stadium policy, we absolutely want Belmore to be at the front and centre of that discussion.”

While South Sydney is likely to recommit to ANZ Stadium next week, Hill said the cancellation of the Sydney Olympic Park redevelopment had opened the door for a stadium strategy rethink.

“We have an opportunity to look at a long-term strategy while we still have a number of years left on our ANZ deal,” Hill said. “We have a great relationship with ANZ Stadium and while we are disappointed with the recent decision we are looking at what opportunities there are for the club around stadiums.

Belmore is the club’s spiritual home. Picture: Phil Hillyard
“We want to be able to sit down with the NSW government and the NRL so we can better understand what their strategy around stadia is now. If having a redeveloped ANZ Stadium is not in the plan we would like the opportunity to discuss other options.”

Hill confirmed a return to Belmore was the first option that would be discussed.

“We need to understand what their strategy will be in Sydney,” Hill said. “There has obviously been a significant change in strategy and we want to be part of the conversation in terms of what opportunities there are for Belmore Sports Ground.”

The seriousness of the plan was confirmed on Wednesday when representatives from Populous toured Belmore. Populous has designed some of the world’s best stadium’s including Wembley Stadium and Emirates Stadium in the UK and Suncorp Stadium and Marvel Stadium in Australia.

Initial reports suggest the land at Belmore — which is hemmed in by a train track on one side and houses on the other — can accommodate a 20,000-seat-plus stadium.

The iconic Wembley Stadium. Picture: AFP/Adrian Dennis
“Brookvale and Penrith have been mentioned,” Hill said. “And there is no reason Belmore can’t be. We are right on the railway line and have a long-term history of playing games and I think our fans and members deserve a new stadium at Belmore.”

The Belmore blueprint was received well by Bulldogs fans with the blue-and-white faithful applauding the moves being made to return home.

Also contracted to ANZ Stadium, the Rabbitohs are expected to recommit to Olympic Park as early as next week after members voted for a Homebush return.

“We are still going through the results,” South Sydney CEO Blake Solley said. “But it is clear there is an appetite to return to ANZ.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/ceb221317bb448ba7956b7a3e50a6638

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Phelpsy is doing the board a solid stringing this story out over two days!

Last edited:

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I have heard that from someone in the club too. They hate Belmore games as the money they lose from gambling isn’t off set from the football crowd spending in the club.
Yep, plus most of the game day fans are what is known as negative net customers meaning they actually cost you money even if you forget about the lost gaming revenue as those people don't spend a cent in the club but cost the club money in wages and utilities. Moral is everyone who parks at the club needs to stop being a tight **** and drop a $20 in the machines and have a few drinks before and after the game

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah your right, lets move to liverpool and loose even more of our identity and history, we get beat everwhere atm , all opposition players i knew hated coming and playing there, and very little had a positive win loss ratio. Build it and they will come
Was just joking mate... And it's lose not loose

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell the club to go phuck themselves.
They should be there supporting the community.
I dont buy into this no one spends money in the club bullshit.
What about the upside to local businesses in belmore, and the pub.
Everyone wins
Yep, plus most of the game day fans are what is known as negative net customers meaning they actually cost you money even if you forget about the lost gaming revenue as those people don't spend a cent in the club but cost the club money in wages and utilities. Moral is everyone who parks at the club needs to stop being a tight **** and drop a $20 in the machines and have a few drinks before and after the game

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My next door neighbor is a waiter,who has worked at the club for a number of years,and I can tell u from the feed back he gives me,home games at belmore,food & beverage sales are upwards of 30% ,more likely to believe him sorry

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great....they can include a crack pipe and syringes in our members pack
Can't wait to go to junkiepool
Everyone wins
Bulldogs' Bold Back-Up Plan If Belmore Misses Cut:

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My next door neighbor is a waiter,who has worked at the club for a number of years,and I can tell u from the feed back he gives me,home games at belmore,food & beverage sales are upwards of 30% ,more likely to believe him sorry
Clubs make very little in the way of food and bev, 80% of revenue comes from gaming and with all due respect your waiter neighbour would have next to no idea about financials, I'd dare say an ex senior executive would have abit more of an idea.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Everyone wins
So how much does the pub tip in to the football team? How much does the takeaway shop contribute? I think you have a very confused understanding of community, community in the club market relates to club grants for example the $4.5 mil grant to the football club, the donations to St Basil's nursing home, the donations to Canterbury hospital, the donations charities that feed the homeless, the contribution to junior leagues, etc
The club isn't there to prop up competing businesses especially a pub that's owned by a large consortium.
At the end of the day without a thriving leagues club tipping in millions of dollars year the football club would be in pretty dire financial straits, do you think the pub would pick up the slack?

Last edited:

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The atmosphere would be amazing around the belmore precinct during game day.
Neither does the Caxton hotel by the way in respect to the belmore pub.
We are in the entertainment industry now right...the nrl.
There is nothing in Liverpool.
Belmore is the go.
I remember years ago they had plans about building a new stadium at belmore, and they had the field running the other way , it would fit 35000 people.
So if you could visualise the goal posts to be on the hill side and the other posts on the stand,side so sideline would run parallel with train line on one side etc.
So how much does the pub tip in to the football team? How much does the takeaway shop contribute? I think you have a very confused understanding of community, community in the club market relates to club grants for example the $4.5 mil grant to the football club, the donations to St Basil's nursing home, the donations to Canterbury hospital, the donations charities that feed the homeless, the contribution to junior leagues, etc
The club isn't there to prop up competing businesses especially a pub that's owned by a large consortium.
At the end of the day without a thriving leagues club tipping in millions of dollars year the football club would be in pretty dire financial straits, do you think the pub would pick up the slack?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’d rather Liverpool than Belmore. That land isn’t so cramped and at least I’ll be able to park within 10 k’s

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Clubs make very little in the way of food and bev, 80% of revenue comes from gaming and with all due respect your waiter neighbour would have next to no idea about financials, I'd dare say an ex senior executive would have abit more of an idea.
So have the club charge for parking on game day. $30 per car which gives you a voucher to spend in the club on drinks or food.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s got to be Belmore, it can be done.

Barkwest will always be Parramattas home ground and has set them up for life.

We need Belmore..for the future of the club

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a former cafe owner with liquor license,I can personally tell you from experience that there is money in liquor,even after staff costs,liquor license,security etc,etc,a place like Canterbury leagues club,they would be budgeting,for a 10 to 15 % of their profits,which along with gambling,are their main sources of revenue,and for an senior executive to come out with a quote like that,he obviously knows nothing,about running a business,,I spent 35 years working in retail,and I’m speaking from experience,not some retired pen pusher.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
People still lapping this garbage up lol

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's physically possible to do but there's still plenty of constraints in that area. Building a multi story car park adds to the expense and upgraded roads around the area would also add to the costs as they won't get approval without a traffic management plan.

Wouldn't the Dragons and Tigers be looking at getting this type of thing done at Kogarah and Campbelltown too? It all adds to the competition for getting funds and given Belmore is within 15km's of Bankwest, ANZ and the new SFS it's going to be real low on the priority list.

I'd love to see but just think its a pipe dream at Belmore I do think Liverpool is a real possibility though.
We would have a better chance if we were drawing regular crowds of 20,000, and consistently on top of the competition; with marquee players who never put a foot wrong in public. As we have no chance of that, the chances of getting funding for a home ground are zero.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As a former cafe owner with liquor license,I can personally tell you from experience that there is money in liquor,even after staff costs,liquor license,security etc,etc,a place like Canterbury leagues club,they would be budgeting,for a 10 to 15 % of their profits,which along with gambling,are their main sources of revenue,and for an senior executive to come out with a quote like that,he obviously knows nothing,about running a business,,I spent 35 years working in retail,and I’m speaking from experience,not some retired pen pusher.
With respect I've worked in the club industry for over 20 years, 15 years in management and have worked in some big clubs. I'm not saying there isn't any profit in food and bev but the margins are slim and a cafe is a lot more streamline an operation where you don't need 2-3 people at each sign in desk because the registered clubs act specifies people need to sign in, you don't have 2-3 security in the car park, etc. Rightly or wrongly no club survives without gaming, Russell Crowe found that out the hard way and the $1.5 profit from a schooner and $4-5 profit from a schnitzel pales into insignificance compared to profit from gaming