Will Foran stay at the Bulldogs? Canterbury start talks with star half

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he is needed
$400k and Clause if plays min 20 rounds can get extra $200K .if he gets games under his belt he will be unstoppable

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It doesn't necessarily have to be Foran but I think we definitely need a veteran in the spine.

It's way too much to ask of Averillo and Wakeham to lead the team for an entire season at their stage of their careers especially if JMK is still at hooker.

As you say Green is probably the only other option.
From what I've seen of Burton he looks composed and mature beyond his years. He's obviously not experienced but he plays like he is and has time on his hands.

I don't know why the club would waste money on Foran trying to hope he can turn the clock back seven years when we could have a half who could be our chief playmaker for the next five years.

Likewise signing Green or Reynolds is just wasting money on a veteran for the sake of leadership when a better younger player is available for less.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It looks like a going away present from Lynne & Co
We must wait and see if he stays injury free !!!
What will happen if we soon sign him then brakes down AGAIN ???
This mob must be desperate to prove a point or prolong our problems.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I would honestly sign Jimmy Maloney over this guy if experience is what we're looking for.
100% agree. Luring Maloney over on a 1-2 year deal is the smart play. We traditionally do well with halves in the back end of their career making an immediate impact (Stuart, Trindall, Kimmorley). If we can't get Maloney, then offer Foran a modest deal. If he's asking for overs then have Blake Green as a fallback option. We need experience in the halves next season either way.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen of Burton he looks composed and mature beyond his years. He's obviously not experienced but he plays like he is and has time on his hands.

I don't know why the club would waste money on Foran trying to hope he can turn the clock back seven years when we could have a half who could be our chief playmaker for the next five years.

Likewise signing Green or Reynolds is just wasting money on a veteran for the sake of leadership when a better younger player is available for less.
I don’t think it’s wasted money if we get a veteran it’s a long season and it’s a huge ask go with two youngsters.

I also can’t see why we couldn’t do both? We can make a play at Burton and get someone like Green or keep Foran. It’s not just about what happens on game day a veteran half is basically a halves coach if they have the right mindset and could be valuable in the development of the young halves.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Too many ifs surrounds Foran...
More ifs
If we sign him we are stuck with him for better or worse !
If he goes it's not the end of the world !!!

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Foran and wakeham were combining well last game, let this play out for a few games more and see if foran stays fit and that combo works.

Then we can decide

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s wasted money if we get a veteran it’s a long season and it’s a huge ask go with two youngsters.

I also can’t see why we couldn’t do both? We can make a play at Burton and get someone like Green or keep Foran. It’s not just about what happens on game day a veteran half is basically a halves coach if they have the right mindset and could be valuable in the development of the young halves.
It's ideal to not have an experienced half but if there's not one worth signing then there's no point buying someone mainly because they're experienced and not because they're necessarily going to improve the team short and long term.

For what it would cost for Green and Foran, I don't see it being worth it. At least Green will play every week. I just can't get behind re-signing Foran under any circumstances after he's missed so many games each season.

I want them to make a play for Burton and make him our chief playmaker. I think he's more than up to the task.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's ideal to not have an experienced half but if there's not one worth signing then there's no point buying someone mainly because they're experienced and not because they're necessarily going to improve the team short and long term.

For what it would cost for Green and Foran, I don't see it being worth it. At least Green will play every week. I just can't get behind re-signing Foran under any circumstances after he's missed so many games each season.

Penrith have two young halves in Cleary and Luai and looked just as good when it was Burton and Luai.
Penrith have an experienced gun hooker that allows that happen to some extent. Cleary also had the benefit of playing along side a veteran in Maloney over the last two seasons. I’m not sure you can compare Cleary and Luai to potentially Wakeham and Averillo playing together with less then 50 career games between them that’s really green.

Putting so much pressure on players that young so early will make or break them and most of the times it breaks them.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He must stay if we have no other options, that is a given.!!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Penrith have an experienced gun hooker that allows that happen to some extent. Cleary also had the benefit of playing along side a veteran in Maloney over the last two seasons. I’m not sure you can compare Cleary and Luai to potentially Wakeham and Averillo playing together with less then 50 career games between them that’s really green.

Putting so much pressure on players that young so early will make or break them and most of the times it breaks them.
Yeah having experience elsewhere in the spine certainly helps. Like I said it's not ideal but I'd rather sign Burton and let two young halves find their feet than sign Green or re-sign Foran instead and potentially miss out on someone like Burton.

Either way we're unlikely to make the 8 with the way recruiting for next season has gone. I'd also be happy if the club went for Cust. He has a season under his belt at least and would be a cheap option with a great running game.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Use some of his money to entice Burton.

Time for Foz to move on. Can't possibly re-sign a player who only plays 50% of season games.
Burton's played like one good game he could be shit for all we know

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah having experience elsewhere in the spine certainly helps. Like I said it's not ideal but I'd rather sign Burton and let two young halves find their feet than sign Green or re-sign Foran instead and potentially miss out on someone like Burton.

Either way we're unlikely to make the 8 with the way recruiting for next season has gone. I'd also be happy if the club went for Cust. He has a season under his belt at least and would be a cheap option with a great running game.
I still don’t see why you can’t do both if the young guys kill it then it’s all good but you’re still covered if they crack under pressure.

Cust is a side ways move for mine I’d rather stick with what we have. The fly in the ointment is bloody Lewis taking up a halves spot on the roster next year it was such a unnecessary signing.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I still don’t see why you can’t do both if the young guys kill it then it’s all good but you’re still covered if they crack under pressure.

Cust is a side ways move for mine I’d rather stick with what we have. The fly in the ointment is bloody Lewis taking up a halves spot on the roster next year it was such a unnecessary signing.
You can do both but I think money could be better spent elsewhere. Both Foran and Green would probably want over 400k. I'd rather someone like Benji for significantly less if they wanted an experienced half. At least he'd bring some spark to the attack.

I think Cust is a big upgrade on guys like Cogger and Lewis and would be a good complement to someone like Wakeham. But I agree, Lewis taking up cap space and a squad spot complicates things.