Will Foran stay at the Bulldogs? Canterbury start talks with star half

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have begun preliminary discussions with Kieran Foran about staying beyond this season with the injury-plagued half "desperate to achieve something special at the club".

The former New Zealand international wants to continue in the NRL next year and has tentatively begun talking to Canterbury about extending his Belmore contract, albeit on significantly reduced terms.

Foran is one of the highest paid players in the game and is in the final year of a contract worth upwards of $1 million a year.

While there's no guarantee the Bulldogs and Foran will find common ground, club officials have been maintaining regular dialogue with the 29-year-old and will discuss whether to table a formal offer in coming weeks.

Coach Dean Pay, whose own future is under enormous scrutiny in the final year of his deal, has been desperately searching for some spark in his playmakers with Foran restricted to just 31 games since the start of 2018.

He badly dislocated a finger in last week's loss to the Rabbitohs, but will be fit for the Bulldogs' clash against the struggling Broncos at Suncorp Stadium.

Canterbury can lift themselves off the bottom of the ladder with only their second win of the campaign on Saturday night.

Foran said he was hopeful "something will come up" as he sweats on the Bulldogs lodging a formal contract proposal.

"For me I've had a couple of injury-ravaged years at Canterbury and it hasn't been a good feeling," Foran said. "When you ride the tough times with the club you'd love to turn it around. I'd love to stay on and have a couple of injury-free seasons and try to achieve something special at this joint. That's what I'd love to do, but that's out of my hands.

"It's up to the club and what direction they want to go. I'm respectful of that and not putting any pressure on at the moment."

"When you ride the tough times with the club you'd love to turn it around."

Canterbury will be without lock Adam Elliott, who has been ruled out for the rest of the season requiring a shoulder reconstruction.

Foran said he felt for Anthony Seibold's Broncos after a number of players were shown on camera crying straight after their loss to the Warriors, the sixth straight since the competition restart.

"You could see the emotional toll it was taking on those guys and I really felt for them, as I feel for our footy club," Foran said.

"They're trying really hard to turn it around, like us. They're trying to play the best footy they can and they're not too far off. You've got to be at your absolute best to get a win in this competition and that's where we're failing as well.

"We want to turn it around and we're desperate to. We're trying as hard as we can, but we're not just able to get it done and come up with the right play at the right time. That's something we've got to challenge ourselves to get better at because we're running out of time."

Brisbane centre Kotoni Staggs (hamstring) will play after coming through training unscathed on Thursday.

"He is a good addition to our team and very good against Manly and in those early rounds," Seibold said. "He has had suspension and injury since then and is a big in for us. I am looking forward to getting him back out on the park."

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here, hope so. For right price of course.
Definitely no more than 600 a year.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes please

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I would honestly sign Jimmy Maloney over this guy if experience is what we're looking for.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Use some of his money to entice Burton.

Time for Foz to move on. Can't possibly re-sign a player who only plays 50% of season games.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm very 50/50 on him resigning. As others have said, their isn't many experienced halves floating around.

If I were to resign him, it would be for no more than $350K purely based on injuries and he has been very MIA this year in games where we needed his experience.

But knowing our club and retention policies, he will be resigned for $800K

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Use some of his money to entice Burton.

Time for Foz to move on. Can't possibly re-sign a player who only plays 50% of season games.
Burton and Wakeham in the halves won't work. You and especially Wakeham need an experienced half. We also have Averillo who can fill in for Foran if/when he's injured. It's like Cleary and Maloney. Luai came afterwards. Unless we can get a top experienced half on contract I think our hands are tied.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We need a experienced half and if it's not Foran who will it be? I'm not very keen to re-sign him given his injury record and form this year but we might not have a choice.
Are we seriously challenging for a top 8 spot with what’s left on the market and a resigned Foran??
Play the kids in the halves (avo,wakeham ) or go sign Burton.
Foran isn’t leading us anywhere except to a spoon when he plays and he’s going to cost more then say a Blake green if you want experience. Along with Pay he should be shown the door unless he’s happy to take on a mentoring role for the kids.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's played 31 games in three seasons. Why are they even considering re-signing him? Is he going to become less injury prone as he goes into his thirties?

He's not even very effective when he does play. Our record with him and without him is just as bad.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are we seriously challenging for a top 8 spot with what’s left on the market and a resigned Foran??
Play the kids in the halves (avo,wakeham ) or go sign Burton.
Foran isn’t leading us anywhere except to a spoon when he plays and he’s going to cost more then say a Blake green if you want experience. Along with Pay he should be shown the door unless he’s happy to take on a mentoring role for the kids.
It doesn't necessarily have to be Foran but I think we definitely need a veteran in the spine.

It's way too much to ask of Averillo and Wakeham to lead the team for an entire season at their stage of their careers especially if JMK is still at hooker.

As you say Green is probably the only other option.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope so love the bloke feel bad he’s not been able to stay on the field, I was sceptical on his passion his first year here but genuinely think he loves the club and wants to win. Not his fault des paid an extra 300k Over the next highest bid in 2017 of its the right price I’d love to have him back

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I would move him on if we can get green for a couple of seasons with wakeham he will take more pressure off the kid and he’s a better game manager than Foran. Foran is avoiding kicking as much as possible to protect his hamstrings that puts a lot of pressure on wakehams kicking game and when he gets another injury we’re back to square one

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Anymore than 250k and he should be told to fuck off. Personally I think he's playing scared so I'd be more inclined to fuck him off.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He’s the only class player in our entire squad so we should re sign I reckon.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It doesn't necessarily have to be Foran but I think we definitely need a veteran in the spine.

It's way too much to ask of Averillo and Wakeham to lead the team for an entire season at their stage of their careers especially if JMK is still at hooker.

As you say Green is probably the only other option.
Dont disagree at all but I don’t see what we have to lose if the option is to resign Foran on another stupid contract. We haven’t bought anyone we have 3 million to spend I can see the board offering 600k or more and that’s just a waste of money. Give the kids a chance and let them grow and hey they may surprise if given the chance maybe even overachieve and take us to 15th spot or higher ...

Last edited: