BACK TO BELMORE: BULLDOGS EYE $250M UPGRADE

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only reason the club has gone public with this is to get a slice of the government’s stadium funding package and as a distraction to the clubs current issues. Government funding is the only way it’s going to happen.

There’s no way you’re going to get $250m any other way plus you don’t want to own your own stadium it’s a money pit. It’s a massive initial outlay of cash and then you have to work your ass off attracting events for years to come to pay for it. I couldn’t see anyone besides the Dogs being a tenant and the stadium would be up against stadiums with much larger capacities for other events like concerts.
The council is the largest in Australia. Bigger than many regional cities. We could do a joint deal with the Council, and work out ways to make it a home ground for other codes and civic events.

There is no way we will get government support for this. They can't buy this seat, and Labor don't have to spend a cent to keep the seat. If it's to happen, we fund it from asset sales (Liverpool) and a joint venture with Canterbury-Bankstown Council. We could also get a sponsor name for the ground.

We shouldn't have a give up attitude. That's what has infected the team.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The council is the largest in Australia. Bigger than many regional cities. We could do a joint deal with the Council, and work out ways to make it a home ground for other codes and civic events.

There is no way we will get government support for this. They can't buy this seat, and Labor don't have to spend a cent to keep the seat. If it's to happen, we fund it from asset sales (Liverpool) and a joint venture with Canterbury-Bankstown Council. We could also get a sponsor name for the ground.

We shouldn't have a give up attitude. That's what has infected the team.
No matter what the size of a council it won’t have the money to support a project of this size. Who are the other codes? There’s only Sydney Olympic who aren’t going to bring in any where near the money needed.

The only reason this has come to light is to make a play at the government money it wouldn’t have even been mentioned otherwise. It’s not a give up attitude it’s simply not happening any other way.

The council haven’t even funded this minor clean up inside and outside the stadium that they proposed a couple of years ago. https://haveyoursay.cbcity.nsw.gov.au/belmore-sports-and-recreation-precinct-masterplan
They aren’t going to suddenly throw over a hundred million at it.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It’s a nice idea but it’s not feasible without some type of government funding. We only have around 20k people that will put their money towards memberships even when we are flying so let’s add another 10k to that because it’s a special cause and say 30k will donate. Those 30k will have to donate over $8000 each on average to get in range of the $250m.

Then you have to think about the time it’s going to take to raise that type of money it could take years to decades. The pledge program could maybe used to fund a much smaller percentage of the rebuild but it would really need funding from the government to ever work.
Yeah I didn't mean for fans to pledge all the money I didn't think that's possible at all, just a percentage of it. I didn't really say that though originally though so all good. I'd imagine it would take time also

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The body corporate fees of 15 per week would more than cover lost ticket sales.
That's $780 per year in income stream per seat

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The body corporate fees of 15 per week would more than cover lost ticket sales.
That's $780 per year in income stream per seat
Are you serious? There’s so many costs that need to be covered when you are running a stadium just for game day then there’s the maintenance of a stadium. $15 per person 12 times a year wouldn’t even touch the sides.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So your saying 19 million per year is not enough for maintenance etc
How much pigeon poo could there be?
Are you serious? There’s so many costs that need to be covered when you are running a stadium just for game day then there’s the maintenance of a stadium. $15 per person 12 times a year wouldn’t even touch the sides.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So your saying 19 million per year is not enough for maintenance etc
How much pigeon poo could there be?
All the stuff that’s been underwritten by ANZ suddenly all comes out of our pocket. The club doesn’t break even at Belmore games currently unless there’s more then 16k there and they are paying more then $15 a ticket. You first have to worry about getting 25 000 people willing to give away $10k before you worry about that anyway....

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, catch the B-line bus from Narrabeen to Wynyard, about 45min, then the train to Belmore in about 40min or an hour or so by car.
Very doable : )

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where's there vision they could of done this 20 yrs ago

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just upgrade the *****... Would be happy to just watch our boys run around a park if it meant beingcloser to the action at a reasonable price.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Told you so .................
As for Belmore I don’t think it’s as hard to develop as is made out. We just have to be realistic with its capacity, limit it to, say, around 20,000. A ~8,000 seat grandstand replacing Terry Lamb Hill isn’t hard to build and wouldn’t cost a lot (in stadium terms). It wouldn’t use up a bit of Peter Moore Field but not much. With SOA catering and toilets below. Then build a 3 to 4,000 seat grandstand on the northern end over the train lines. That just uses air space, which we rent for 99 years from Transport NSW, they like selling air space over train lines it’s basically money for nothing. It’s also possible at the same time to build a car park over the train lines that can also be used during the working week for commuters. Even with that, parking will always be an issue so improving public transport is the go. But that isn’t hard, with bus routes on Canterbury Rd, just add a detour towards the ground on game days. Obviously Belmore train station is close by, assisted by building an eastern access to the platforms to handle the football crowd.
See how many of the above are included when the plans come out.

Go Dogs

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
i reckon the club has leaked the article to give a positive spin for any new player signings

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
i reckon the club has leaked the article to give a positive spin for any new player signings
Yeah the timing of this announcement which is a long, long way off being anything tangible does make it seem like they're trying to divert attention away from the constant conjecture about Pay, the Andersons, no sponsor and a lack of signings..

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No matter what the size of a council it won’t have the money to support a project of this size. Who are the other codes? There’s only Sydney Olympic who aren’t going to bring in any where near the money needed.

The only reason this has come to light is to make a play at the government money it wouldn’t have even been mentioned otherwise. It’s not a give up attitude it’s simply not happening any other way.

The council haven’t even funded this minor clean up inside and outside the stadium that they proposed a couple of years ago. https://haveyoursay.cbcity.nsw.gov.au/belmore-sports-and-recreation-precinct-masterplan
They aren’t going to suddenly throw over a hundred million at it.
i get what you are saying, however if Brookvale and other smaller teams are being put into consideration its a good reason to now put our hat in the mix. i think Liverpool will make sense (politically) with the sense of NSW government and there expansion of out west, it also makes more sense architecturally with not having to build around train tracks etc.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds like spin to me.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were me I would focus on having a centre of excellence first down Liverpool way . Use Belmore for the shitty games that won’t draw a crowd ie titans and bass themselves at ANZ . I wouldn’t have a home ground in a suburb named after my arch rival .
A great COE is required to compete with the other clubs

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were me I would focus on having a centre of excellence first down Liverpool way . Use Belmore for the shifty games that won’t draw a crowd is titans and bass themselves at ANZ .
A great COE is required to compete with the other clubs
we have a centre of excellence at homebush