BACK TO BELMORE: BULLDOGS EYE $250M UPGRADE

Bulldogs 24/7

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Belmore redevelopment: Bulldogs set for $250 million stadium at spiritual home:

The architect behind one of the most iconic stadiums in the world has been spotted surveying Belmore, with the Bulldogs confirming plans for a mini-Bankwest at the club’s spiritual home.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
FUCK YES!!!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It could be back to Belmore for the Bulldogs with a 25,000-seat stadium described as a mini-Bankwest at the centre of a $250 million homecoming plan.

Hoping to become part of the NRL’s suburban ground strategy that includes the state-of-the-art stadium in Parramatta, the Bulldogs confirmed their Belmore blueprint after an architect from the firm behind Wembley Stadium’s $1.2 billion rebuild was spotted surveying the famous site on Wednesday.

“We certainly have started a conversation with the NRL and with architects to look at what can be done at Belmore Sports Ground,” said Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill.

“While it is very preliminary and subject to NSW’s stadium policy, we absolutely want Belmore to be at the front and centre of that discussion.”

While South Sydney is likely to recommit to ANZ Stadium next week, Hill said the cancellation of the Sydney Olympic Park redevelopment had opened the door for a stadium strategy rethink.

“We have an opportunity to look at a long-term strategy while we still have a number of years left on our ANZ deal,” Hill said. “We have a great relationship with ANZ Stadium and while we are disappointed with the recent decision we are looking at what opportunities there are for the club around stadiums.

Belmore is the club’s spiritual home. Picture: Phil Hillyard

“We want to be able to sit down with the NSW government and the NRL so we can better understand what their strategy around stadia is now. If having a redeveloped ANZ stadium is not in the plan we would like the opportunity to discuss other options.”

And in news that will excite every Bulldogs fan, Hill confirmed a return to Belmore was the first option that would be discussed.

“We need to understand what their strategy will be in Sydney,” Hill said. “There has obviously been a significant change in strategy and we want to be part of the conversation in terms of what opportunities there are for Belmore Sports Ground.”

The seriousness of the plan was confirmed on Wednesday when representatives from Populous — the biggest architectural firm in the world — toured Belmore. Populous has designed some of the world’s best stadium’s including Wembley Stadium and Emirates Stadium in the UK and Suncorp Stadium and Marvel Stadium in Australia.

Initial reports suggest the land at Belmore — which is hemmed in by a train track on one side and houses on the other — can accommodate a 20,000-seat-plus stadium.

The iconic Wembley Stadium. Picture: AFP/Adrian Dennis

“Brookvale and Penrith have been mentioned,” Hill said. “And there is no reason Belmore can’t be. We are right on the railway line and have a long-term history of playing games and I think our fans and members deserve a new stadium at Belmore.”

A club-owned plot of land in Liverpool is being considered as an alternate site.

Also contracted to ANZ Stadium, the Rabbitohs are expected to recommit to Olympic Park as early as next week after members voted for a Homebush return.

“We are still going through the results,” said South Sydney CEO Blake Solley.

“But it is clear there is an appetite to return to ANZ.”

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It could be back to Belmore for the Bulldogs with a 25,000-seat stadium described as a mini-Bankwest at the centre of a $250 million homecoming plan.

Hoping to become part of the NRL’s suburban ground strategy that includes the state-of-the-art stadium in Parramatta, the Bulldogs confirmed their Belmore blueprint after an architect from the firm behind Wembley Stadium’s $1.2 billion rebuild was spotted surveying the famous site on Wednesday.
“We certainly have started a conversation with the NRL and with architects to look at what can be done at Belmore Sports Ground,” said Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill.

“While it is very preliminary and subject to NSW’s stadium policy, we absolutely want Belmore to be at the front and centre of that discussion.”

While South Sydney is likely to recommit to ANZ Stadium next week, Hill said the cancellation of the Sydney Olympic Park redevelopment had opened the door for a stadium strategy rethink.

“We have an opportunity to look at a long-term strategy while we still have a number of years left on our ANZ deal,” Hill said. “We have a great relationship with ANZ Stadium and while we are disappointed with the recent decision we are looking at what opportunities there are for the club around stadiums.

Belmore is the club’s spiritual home. Picture: Phil Hillyard
“We want to be able to sit down with the NSW government and the NRL so we can better understand what their strategy around stadia is now. If having a redeveloped ANZ stadium is not in the plan we would like the opportunity to discuss other options.”

And in news that will excite every Bulldogs fan, Hill confirmed a return to Belmore was the first option that would be discussed.

“We need to understand what their strategy will be in Sydney,” Hill said. “There has obviously been a significant change in strategy and we want to be part of the conversation in terms of what opportunities there are for Belmore Sports Ground.”

The seriousness of the plan was confirmed on Wednesday when representatives from Populous — the biggest architectural firm in the world — toured Belmore. Populous has designed some of the world’s best stadium’s including Wembley Stadium and Emirates Stadium in the UK and Suncorp Stadium and Marvel Stadium in Australia.

Initial reports suggest the land at Belmore — which is hemmed in by a train track on one side and houses on the other — can accommodate a 20,000-seat-plus stadium.

The iconic Wembley Stadium. Picture: AFP/Adrian Dennis
“Brookvale and Penrith have been mentioned,” Hill said. “And there is no reason Belmore can’t be. We are right on the railway line and have a long-term history of playing games and I think our fans and members deserve a new stadium at Belmore.”

A club-owned plot of land in Liverpool is being considered as an alternate site.

Also contracted to ANZ Stadium, the Rabbitohs are expected to recommit to Olympic Park as early as next week after members voted for a Homebush return.

“We are still going through the results,” said South Sydney CEO Blake Solley.

“But it is clear there is an appetite to return to ANZ.”

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's interesting. I was on Facebook today and saw a survey from the club. I went in and it was all about which home ground do you think the dogs should have, what is important to you when it comes to stadiums, how many home games do you go to per year, what influences your decision to go to live games, etc etc.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds like a bit of distraction from the board, be nice if it happened though.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
A 25000 seater would be perfect. Hopefully they can marry it in with the metro line and get direct access into the ground from Belmore station. Now that'll be a first. I'm still doubtful. Could be a publicity stunt to make us look all rosy.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm glad they're looking into it. I don't see how it would be feasible with the limitations at Belmore but it's worth a try..

The government isn't going to hand out that kind of money though after the fiasco with the SFS rebuild and after Covid.. They're more likely to say just play at Bankwest..

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You'll be surprised. The government needs to sign off on more projects to kick start the economy.
I'm glad they're looking into it. I don't see how it would be feasible with the limitations at Belmore but it's worth a try..

The government isn't going to hand out that kind of money though after the fiasco with the SFS rebuild and after Covid.. They're more likely to say just play at Bankwest..

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Long term survival depends on it and the Leagues Club should have it as it's No1 priority.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You'll be surprised. The government needs to sign off on more projects to kick start the economy.
Well I'd love for it to be the case.. Like I said, it's worth a try. But I won't get my hopes up. Knowing the government they'll give Saints another $250 million for the shithole that is Kogarah instead. Belmore has been neglected for decades while other suburban grounds like Kogarah have had lots of funding.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless they can buy a tonne of homes next door to each other for "several" multi storey car parks can't see it working. Streets too thin, crammed at Belmore. To get 25,000 in and out of those tiny corridors would take 4 hours. Hemmed in by the train line at one end. Liverpool is a much better option