Official Round 9 - Bulldogs vs Broncos - Discussion Thread

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coached NSW U20's to 3 x SOO wins.
Undeniable proof that if he has the players he can get the job done.

Go Dogs
1 off games each season

so on the basis of 3 games in total over 3 years is his proven track record in defence

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Go Dogs
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

I coached an under 14s side to a grandfinal victory. My players were quality. Undeniable proof that I can coach at a rep footy side if I had quality players there too

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
i was a pay fan but when he didnt adapt to the new changes i was highly critical. Last weekend we saw some changes and i thought we looked alot better in attack. Lets see if we can back this up on saturday night with the inclusion of thompson who will make a massive difference. take out the last try from Souths which was a 12 point turn around and we were competitive with a team full of injuries.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
At first, I thought the same as Twin Turbo.
After end of last year, I started seeing it like you see it @Spoonman84

The people who keep saying ‘it’s the cattle’, either haven’t played league most of their life or haven’t coached.
There is a tonne of instances in a game (and out of it too) where I’ve noticed a coaching flaw. I thought first year, benefit of doubt. End of last year, SAME mistakes. Poor.

This year? Man no amount of COVID interruptions can be blamed. Absolutely awful tactics. I wouldn’t want to gamble with him moving forward. He will end up like Nathan Brown. Full cattle and still shitting the bed
What tactics do you use when your players aren't at a level other teams are at? You keep it simple play wise. Hope players develop so you can enact better tactics. But we just haven't had any strike players to really be able to do this. Our best bet is Wakeham developing and the injection of some more talent next year. If anything Lewis has held us back cause he just never really learnt how to inject himself properly nor put players into favourable positions through his passing and reading the defence.

As for the Nathan Brown comparisons, even he got a year when they finally put good players into his team. It's just he wasn't able to change the outcome on the field in the way the club believed he should. I still think Pay has more upside than Brown.

As for playing, geez I played for way too long. I can see what he is trying to do. You obviously never played in a crap team before. It's hard when you get belted most weeks. You stop running up in support. Get hospital passes your way. Then you get a few extra players the next year, and you look like world beaters cause all you needed was an injection of talent and guys that have come from winning programs.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
What tactics do you use when your players aren't at a level other teams are at? You keep it simple play wise. Hope players develop so you can enact better tactics. But we just haven't had any strike players to really be able to do this. Our best bet is Wakeham developing and the injection of some more talent next year. If anything Lewis has held us back cause he just never really learnt how to inject himself properly nor put players into favourable positions through his passing and reading the defence.

As for the Nathan Brown comparisons, even he got a year when they finally put good players into his team. It's just he wasn't able to change the outcome on the field in the way the club believed he should. I still think Pay has more upside than Brown.

As for playing, geez I played for way too long. I can see what he is trying to do. You obviously never played in a crap team before. It's hard when you get belted most weeks. You stop running up in support. Get hospital passes your way. Then you get a few extra players the next year, and you look like world beaters cause all you needed was an injection of talent and guys that have come from winning programs.
If you have basically coached the same players for 3 years,with a few injections of players you have handpicked yourself,eg Meaney DWZ,Cogger etc and nothing improves then yes I think the blame rests at the coaches feet.He knew his roster wasn’t as strong,most coaches do,but they put plans into place to improve what he has....The Dogs have not improved...and I played,coached,selected and managed for way to many years..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you have basically coached the same players for 3 years,with a few injections of players you have handpicked yourself,eg Meaney DWZ,Cogger etc and nothing improves then yes I think the blame rests at the coaches feet.He knew his roster wasn’t as strong,most coaches do,but they put plans into place to improve what he has....The Dogs have not improved...and I played,coached,selected and managed for way to many years..
I think this point get's lost of many when you say Pay should be doing better. I don't expect him to be contending for premierships or even top 8 to some extent with what he has to work with.

I just want to see players becoming better and improving Pay has had a bad team and made it even worse. If he was improving what he had and was squeezing the talent and potential out of this current squad then you'd be actually excited to see what he could do with higher quality players.

Sadly it just hasn't happened.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Undeniable proof? What does coaching a junior rep team have to do with coaching an NRL team? There's a slight difference...

Meninga is the most successful Origin coach in history but was a horrible club coach. Fittler has been the most successful NSW coach in decades and he was a disaster at the most powerful and cap rorting club in the comp.. And they were coaches of Senior Origin teams, not junior Origin teams...

I prefer to use real evidence like Pay's NRL coaching record which is over a large sample size of 50 games...

- 33% win percentage
- Worst attack in the comp the last two years
- An average Under 11 points a game
- 12th, 12th and 16th place on the ladder

That is what you call "undeniable proof".

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think this point get's lost of many when you say Pay should be doing better. I don't expect him to be contending for premierships or even top 8 to some extent with what he has to work with.

I just want to see players becoming better and improving Pay has had a bad team and made it even worse. If he was improving what he had and was squeezing the talent and potential out of this current squad then you'd be actually excited to see what he could do with higher quality players.

Sadly it just hasn't happened.
Agree,I have stated on here many times that wins are a bonus,to be able to see an improvement in the players is what I want to see but alas...

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Undeniable proof? What does coaching a junior rep team have to do with coaching an NRL team? There's a slight difference...

Meninga is the most successful Origin coach in history but was a horrible club coach. Fittler has been the most successful NSW coach in decades and he was a disaster at the most powerful and cap rorting club in the comp.. And they were coaches of Senior Origin teams, not junior Origin teams...

I prefer to use real evidence like Pay's NRL coaching record which is over a large sample size of 50 games...

- 33% win percentage
- Worst attack in the comp the last two years
- An average Under 11 points a game
- 12th, 12th and 16th place on the ladder

That is what you call "undeniable proof".
Let’s not forget Bellamy’s track record at Origin,his is reversed lol

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
so pay is now developing averillo by protecting him, is he?

What a load of BS.

Is this the same way he started renouf in his 2nd 1st grade game and then completely destroyed renoufs confidence by dropping him to reserves for the next 12 months?

Or how about at the start of every season he picks the wrong line up i.e. picks the wrong players.

Hes not a 1st grade coach at all. Kick him to the curb

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
so pay is now developing averillo by protecting him, is he?

What a load of BS.

Is this the same way he started renouf in his 2nd 1st grade game and then completely destroyed renoufs confidence by dropping him to reserves for the next 12 months?

Or how about at the start of every season he picks the wrong line up i.e. picks the wrong players.

Hes not a 1st grade coach at all. Kick him to the curb
What's he even protecting him from? If he passed the HIA and there's no medical issues all its going to do is have him wondering why he is being rested.

He copped a heavy hit it's going to happen in footy the best thing to do is get straight back in there.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If pay gets an extension and you care about the kids future I would tell him to find another club asap
Like I said he’s from a very humble and quiet family whom look after each other. They’ll want what’s beat for Jake and being under pay isn’t that at this time

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hope he listens to the advice of most of the players and leaves if Pay stays on,am sure he will get picked up no problems.

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is Averillo ready for that role? You might think he is, but your not the coach. Has he been working on his kicking game? How will he go with lots of traffic being run at him all the time? Is he a leader? Can we afford to have 2 rookies in the halves with stuff all games between them?
That 20 or so minutes averillo and wakeham played together was much better attacking. Wakeham played better too, maybe he thrives on responsibility.

IMO Averillo is the best half we got, it’s good he’s getting game time but he should be playing in his position so he can improve there, just like the rest of the team should be.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
That 20 or so minutes averillo and wakeham played together was much better attacking. Wakeham played better too, maybe he thrives on responsibility.

IMO Averillo is the best half we got, it’s good he’s getting game time but he should be playing in his position so he can improve there, just like the rest of the team should be.
Wakeham plays much better when he isn't restricted and we saw some more glimpses of it last week with him playing both sides of the ruck and getting in at first receiver and backing up multiple times a set. The kid wants to scheme and when you stick him out on an edge you just take away too many of his strengths.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Go Dogs
lol Twin dicks, like I have said in the past you could'nt get that stupid pulling one.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Wakeham plays much better when he isn't restricted and we saw some more glimpses of it last week with him playing both sides of the ruck and getting in at first receiver and backing up multiple times a set. The kid wants to scheme and when you stick him out on an edge you just take away too many of his strengths.
I think that performance from him on Sunday will go a long way in building his confidence. Things he tried to pull off worked more often than not.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

I coached an under 14s side to a grandfinal victory. My players were quality. Undeniable proof that I can coach at a rep footy side if I had quality players there too
lol I just worked out my win percentage with my u18's side for last year, it was over 60 percent, undeniable proof that if I was an NRL coach I would be on twice the money pay is................lol