Official Round 9 - Bulldogs vs Broncos - Discussion Thread

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Averillo was cleared by the medicos, but the club (Pay) decided it was in the kids best interests to have another week off.
It is a good move and shows he looks after his players.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A definition of someone who doesn’t know what he is doing,
Use the same players that can’t to the basics such as give good service from dummy half Marshall,Can’t catch balls DWT And list goes on,but yet we expect a different result,furthermore getting players to play in positions not their strong suites.
Coaching dumbness at its best
We won’t win more than two games this year

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Katoa in....Jmk to bench...

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
But isn't the concussion protocol state that players need to be rested for a week? Why the extra rest? Is it as serious as first thought?
They need to pass another test. Same time he may have niggling injuries, and maybe fitness work he needs to put in. I'm happy for the club to decide what is best for him at this point in time. They are the ones working with him outside of what we see on the field.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Pays interchange in the first half was very good and well timed...the second half wasnt as slick with injuries and what not but i felt his use of the bench was at least good for 1 half that i noticed anyway
How about that selection strategy boys
So good we can combine that with well thought out interchange tactics as well aye

I'm sure a much better team could have been selected

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They need to pass another test. Same time he may have niggling injuries, and maybe fitness work he needs to put in. I'm happy for the club to decide what is best for him at this point in time. They are the ones working with him outside of what we see on the field.
I hope he doesn't get pushed out because of Montoya and Holland. I know he is only young but I liked what I saw and seems to offer more than Montoya and Holland combined.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im going to find out today re Averillo
I'm pretty sure Big M said he was fine and he's on the money with his mail.

I really don't know what to say I'm sure there will be some useless explanation sooner or later.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I hope he doesn't get pushed out because of Montoya and Holland. I know he is only young but I liked what I saw and seems to offer more than Montoya and Holland combined.
No chance. He has done more than those two in the amount of games he has played already. I just think Pay is taking it easy with him, cause we want him to be the future. And that's what you do with young players, well if you want them to understand what they need to work on, and ensure they they get the best out of them. I'd like him to be our Fullback. Just do it the right way, play a bit of centre, and maybe once Hoppa is back, rotate him between Fullback and centre. Hoppa can teach him the finer arts, and when the game isn't in the balance, he can get extended spells at the back. Don't want to put too much pressure on him yet. But once he gets it, I'm sure he won't look back.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
No chance. He has done more than those two in the amount of games he has played already. I just think Pay is taking it easy with him, cause we want him to be the future. And that's what you do with young players, well if you want them to understand what they need to work on, and ensure they they get the best out of them. I'd like him to be our Fullback. Just do it the right way, play a bit of centre, and maybe once Hoppa is back, rotate him between Fullback and centre. Hoppa can teach him the finer arts, and when the game isn't in the balance, he can get extended spells at the back. Don't want to put too much pressure on him yet. But once he gets it, I'm sure he won't look back.
You think Pay is the coach to do that? He hasn’t improved ANY players in his time there and he just doesn’t think like that.In theory what you say is correct but unfortunately the coach doesn’t have a clue on how to develop players

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Anybody else want to see what Cogger could do at hooker? He wasn’t that bad in his one game there
Been wanting it for a while. I reckon he could be solid there, got a good kicking game aswell. Could be a gun 14 going forward or who knows our answer to hooker could be under our nose the whole time (unlikely) but again it's the same thing under Pay you will never know if you don't try

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
You think Pay is the coach to do that? He hasn’t improved ANY players in his time there and he just doesn’t think like that.In theory what you say is correct but unfortunately the coach doesn’t have a clue on how to develop players
I'm not sure that's true. Hard to develop players when the quality isn't there. Thing is the better players can be targetted in attack cause they aren't so worried about those outside them. Hard to shine in that situation.

THat said if Wakeham can continue to work on his game. Just having both halves being dangerous will allow the better players to get more one on one opportunities. Just look at RFM when Wakeham and Foran both are on his side of the field. 3 dangerous players, and they all must be respected. It allows RFM to poke his head through the line, now we just need players to have that pointed out in videos sessions so they run off him after one of those runs to extend the play.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hate for Pay is unreal. Pay has proven elsewhere that he can teach defence. And he doesn't have the cattle to make a decent attack.

I'm not sure what gamble you think you would be getting if you just grabbed another coach. Its more like Russian roulette, you have no idea if it would work out, you just want change for change sake. Other than Craig Fitzgibbon who has a good word on the street, no assistant coach is jumping out as a contender for coaching us. Most available ex-first grade coaches haven't coached for a while for good reason. The others like Bennett would just be as a fill in until someone like Ennis could be trained up, but that's now a 3 year rebuild and Bennett likes a different style of footy that doesn't really suit the Bulldogs nor the NRL rules as they currently stand.

A decision needs to be made soon, for the sake of the club. I just don't think you can do your due diligence properly at the moment. Bennett if we got him, would prefer to keep it quiet so it would be hard to attract players to our club on the basis of his name, cause no one will know. He doesn't want to kill Souths season either.
your first line is funny
I didn’t see parra defence improve
Raiders defence approved AFTER he left . Please do tell of his proven track record

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been wanting it for a while. I reckon he could be solid there, got a good kicking game aswell. Could be a gun 14 going forward or who knows our answer to hooker could be under our nose the whole time (unlikely) but again it's the same thing under Pay you will never know if you don't try
It would at minimum put JMK on notice. Let’s have come competition for positions and see how we go.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Coached NSW U20's to 3 x SOO wins.
Undeniable proof that if he has the players he can get the job done.

Go Dogs
In what world are 3 one off games where you can pick the best players in every position undeniable proof of anything?

Coaching a team of the best junior players for a week is totally different to being able to build and develop a whole roster in a salary capped league.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In what world are 3 one off games where you can pick the best players in every position undeniable proof of anything?

Coaching a team of the best junior players for a week is totally different to being able to build and develop a whole roster in a salary capped league.
lmao not even 3 once off games . It’s only 1 game a year .
Under 20s started in 2012 And NSW lost only once in 2018.

pays great coaching is other coach the players and he has one game a year and he won that game .

apprently that is his proven track record of teaching players defence

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score

At first, I thought the same as Twin Turbo.
After end of last year, I started seeing it like you see it @Spoonman84

The people who keep saying ‘it’s the cattle’, either haven’t played league most of their life or haven’t coached.
There is a tonne of instances in a game (and out of it too) where I’ve noticed a coaching flaw. I thought first year, benefit of doubt. End of last year, SAME mistakes. Poor.

This year? Man no amount of COVID interruptions can be blamed. Absolutely awful tactics. I wouldn’t want to gamble with him moving forward. He will end up like Nathan Brown. Full cattle and still shitting the bed