Dallin Watene-Zelezniak makes shocking captain’s call as Bulldogs downed by Rabbitohs

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak makes shocking captain’s call as Bulldogs downed by Rabbitohs

Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
July 5, 2020 10:26pm

If you line up Wayne Bennett’s star-studded roster against Dean Pay’s it’s not a fair fight.

But such is the fight Pay has put in his battling Canterbury Bulldogs that they pushed spluttering South Sydney right to the finish before eventually falling 26-10 at Bankwest.

As pressure mounts on the Canterbury board to make a decision on Pay’s future, his players showed once again that one thing they won’t do is give up on their coach.

Souths survived in a four-tries-to-two win after leading 8-6 at halftime, although Bennett said he was not disappointed given he always anticipated a tough contest.
“I didn’t think we were too bad in the first 40,” Bennett said.

“You’ve got to understand, they are playing pretty good Canterbury. It is an 80 minute game and that is what you’ve got to play for.”

PRIDE OF THE DOGS

They are sitting dead last on the NRL ladder but one thing you can’t accuse the Bulldogs of is not giving their all.

If you were being honest perhaps six Canterbury players would make most of the top NRL squads, with the rest borderline.

That’s not being disrespectful, that’s reality.

Yet they work their backsides off pretty much every week for the same tired result.

Pay said it again: “There was a lot more commitment there.”

And there was. It must break their hearts.

But until they go out and go hard in the player market it won’t change, no matter who is coaching the Bulldogs.

DWZ’S BAD CALL

After holding Souths 14-10 midway through the second half, a crucial captain’s challenge from Dallin Watene-Zelezniak was match-defining.

On a kick return deep inside his half, Watene-Zelazniak lost control of the ball and soon after Cody Walker was over.

Dane Gagai then put the match to bed with an almost length of the field intercept try in the final minute.

Adam Reynolds’s kicking game was well off but he defended strongly, while Tom Burgess and Jaydn Su’a were the pick of the forwards.

Walker was hardly sighted in the first half, not having a run before the break.

But the halves sparked in the second half with Reynolds setting up a try for Su’a with a clever grubber kick before Walker’s try.

The Rabbitohs now take on Wests Tigers on Friday at Bankwest.

AJ’S DOGS AUDITION

Alex Johnston was told during the week that he won’t be at Redfern next year because the Bunnies can’t fit him into their salary cap.

So given he needs a home for 2021, he showed the Bulldogs why he could be a bargain buy given they are currently courting Canberra winger Nick Cotric for a reported $750,000 a season.

Johnston’s wage at Souths would be half of that at best.

But his express pace was on show when he ran onto a classy ball from Latrell Mitchell and torched Watene-Zelezniak with a sharp-in-and-away on a blistering 65m sprint.

It’s was Johnston’s 90th try in South Sydney colours after setting himself the challenge of trying to cracking his century by season’s end.

To put that in perspective, Gagai debuted three years before Johnston and only scored his 50th NRL with that late effort.

Johnston has now scored seven tries for the season and in five consecutive games.

THOMPSON TO RESCUE

English import Luke Thompson will make his highly anticipated NRL debut next Saturday against the struggling Brisbane Broncos.

Thompson hasn’t played all year and apparently suffered leg soreness after two weeks of heavy training while in isolation after arriving in Australia.

A PROMISING PUP

The Bulldogs have been trying to settle on their halves combination all season.

Classy youngster Brandon Wakeham looks to be finding his feet alongside Kieran Foran.

After jumping ahead of Lachy Lewis and Jack Cogger, the 21-year-old held his own for the most part against two of the best in Walker and Reynolds.

The former Westfields Sports High gun set up the Bulldogs’ only first half try for Marcelo Montoya with a deft chip kick.

It was welcome moment for Montoya who was returning after more than a year on the sidelines through injury.

Given Wakeham has only played eight first grade games he is a real talent on the rise.

For @Prison Mike

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I really hope this 750k a year for Cotric talk is all complete bullshit. He's likely to re-sign with Canberra anyway and isn't worth that type of money at all.

Johnston is a really good winger but he wants to play fullback and be paid as a fullback. He's an average fullback.. He's probably going to be asking for more than he's worth.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I really hope this 750k a year for Cotric talk is all complete bullshit. He's likely to re-sign with Canberra anyway and isn't worth that type of money at all.

Johnston is a really good winger but he wants to play fullback and be paid as a fullback. He's an average fullback.. He's probably going to be asking for more than he's worth.
I'd think Cotric being likely to re-sign at Canberra is why the figure is that high. I always thought it'd take 700k and I'd be content with that given our situation. Anything more is a pass tho.

Johnston would be a good addition to the wing and he'd be able to fill for Hopoate at fullback if he was injured. He's just a reject (not in a negative way) you'd buy if there wasn't a lot of interest from other clubs and for the right price.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd think Cotric being likely to re-sign at Canberra is why the figure is that high. I always thought it'd take 700k and I'd be content with that given our situation. Anything more is a pass tho.

Johnston would be a good addition to the wing and he'd be able to fill for Hopoate if he was injured.
In reality Cotric isn't worth more than 550k max. He's a good player and I know we'd have to pay overs but 700k for a winger/centre would be more bad cap management.

Then we'd have a centre (Cotric), two props (Thompson and Napa) and a 2nd rower (Jackson) eating up more than a quarter of our cap while the spine positions continue to be neglected.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
In reality Cotric isn't worth more than 550k max. He's a good player and I know we'd have to pay overs but 700k for a winger/centre would be more bad cap management.

Then we'd have a centre (Cotric), two props (Thompson and Napa) and a 2nd rower (Jackson) eating up more than a quarter of our cap while the spine positions continue to be neglected.
We need spine players badly but there isn't much available off contract. If we're recruiting only off who's off contract I think you have to get Cotric but if we're able to target contracted players that's obviously even better and the spine positions should be priority.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
July 5, 2020 10:26pm

If you line up Wayne Bennett’s star-studded roster against Dean Pay’s it’s not a fair fight.

But such is the fight Pay has put in his battling Canterbury Bulldogs that they pushed spluttering South Sydney right to the finish before eventually falling 26-10 at Bankwest.

As pressure mounts on the Canterbury board to make a decision on Pay’s future, his players showed once again that one thing they won’t do is give up on their coach.

Souths survived in a four-tries-to-two win after leading 8-6 at halftime, although Bennett said he was not disappointed given he always anticipated a tough contest.
“I didn’t think we were too bad in the first 40,” Bennett said.

“You’ve got to understand, they are playing pretty good Canterbury. It is an 80 minute game and that is what you’ve got to play for.”

PRIDE OF THE DOGS

They are sitting dead last on the NRL ladder but one thing you can’t accuse the Bulldogs of is not giving their all.

If you were being honest perhaps six Canterbury players would make most of the top NRL squads, with the rest borderline.

That’s not being disrespectful, that’s reality.

Yet they work their backsides off pretty much every week for the same tired result.

Pay said it again: “There was a lot more commitment there.”

And there was. It must break their hearts.

But until they go out and go hard in the player market it won’t change, no matter who is coaching the Bulldogs.

DWZ’S BAD CALL

After holding Souths 14-10 midway through the second half, a crucial captain’s challenge from Dallin Watene-Zelezniak was match-defining.

On a kick return deep inside his half, Watene-Zelazniak lost control of the ball and soon after Cody Walker was over.

Dane Gagai then put the match to bed with an almost length of the field intercept try in the final minute.

Adam Reynolds’s kicking game was well off but he defended strongly, while Tom Burgess and Jaydn Su’a were the pick of the forwards.

Walker was hardly sighted in the first half, not having a run before the break.

But the halves sparked in the second half with Reynolds setting up a try for Su’a with a clever grubber kick before Walker’s try.

The Rabbitohs now take on Wests Tigers on Friday at Bankwest.

AJ’S DOGS AUDITION

Alex Johnston was told during the week that he won’t be at Redfern next year because the Bunnies can’t fit him into their salary cap.

So given he needs a home for 2021, he showed the Bulldogs why he could be a bargain buy given they are currently courting Canberra winger Nick Cotric for a reported $750,000 a season.

Johnston’s wage at Souths would be half of that at best.

But his express pace was on show when he ran onto a classy ball from Latrell Mitchell and torched Watene-Zelezniak with a sharp-in-and-away on a blistering 65m sprint.

It’s was Johnston’s 90th try in South Sydney colours after setting himself the challenge of trying to cracking his century by season’s end.

To put that in perspective, Gagai debuted three years before Johnston and only scored his 50th NRL with that late effort.

Johnston has now scored seven tries for the season and in five consecutive games.

THOMPSON TO RESCUE

English import Luke Thompson will make his highly anticipated NRL debut next Saturday against the struggling Brisbane Broncos.

Thompson hasn’t played all year and apparently suffered leg soreness after two weeks of heavy training while in isolation after arriving in Australia.

A PROMISING PUP

The Bulldogs have been trying to settle on their halves combination all season.

Classy youngster Brandon Wakeham looks to be finding his feet alongside Kieran Foran.

After jumping ahead of Lachy Lewis and Jack Cogger, the 21-year-old held his own for the most part against two of the best in Walker and Reynolds.

The former Westfields Sports High gun set up the Bulldogs’ only first half try for Marcelo Montoya with a deft chip kick.

It was welcome moment for Montoya who was returning after more than a year on the sidelines through injury.

Given Wakeham has only played eight first grade games he is a real talent on the rise.

For @Prison Mike
Thanks mate. Crawley really seems to be pushing the 'poor Pay' agenda alot lately which I'm not fully on board with. Hard to be to critical of the rest of his summary.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

By all reports zelezniaks extension wasn’t peanuts either. If we can’t get cotric for 550k I’d stop negotiating tomorrow. And if Johnston wants to come off 350k then I’d take him. But I can see roosters picking AJ for 100k :p

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
By all reports zelezniaks extension wasn’t peanuts either. If we can’t get cotric for 550k I’d stop negotiating tomorrow. And if Johnston wants to come off 350k then I’d take him. But I can see roosters picking AJ for 100k :p
Morris boys can go around again.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

It seems all the player managers are getting their players who are centres and wingers who are coming off contract to publicly declare they want to be a fullback, simply to chase fullback money.

It's getting ridiculous now.

SLushY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
See the thing that confuses me is why would you try and play a position that you’re shit at for money, when you can hone in your craft and be the best you can be than wasting years saying and playing in a position you’re not actually good at

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
See the thing that confuses me is why would you try and play a position that you’re shit at for money, when you can hone in your craft and be the best you can be than wasting years saying and playing in a position you’re not actually good at
Greed, it's simple.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

if they Sign a winger in Cotric for 750K it will be doing exactly the same thing as the previous board in signing players like Aaron Woods for 'overs'..

We need quality signings but Cotric at that price would be a mistake.. No ones even sure if he can do well at centre..

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Shitty headline, he fumbled the ball on the return and they scored on the next set, happens all the time, tried our luck deep in the game with the challenge, didn’t work.

Get over it.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Johnston would be a good addition to the wing and he'd be able to fill for Hopoate at fullback if he was injured. He's just a reject (not in a negative way) you'd buy if there wasn't a lot of interest from other clubs and for the right price.
Yup sign AJ, good price, good player.!!

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He didn’t “torch” Dallin, Dallin made an awful attempt at tackle. Too scared to put his shoulder behind it.

A fullback tackle around the waist/legs would’ve taken Johnson over the sideline.

Dallin is not a fullback.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shitty headline, he fumbled the ball on the return and they scored on the next set, happens all the time, tried our luck deep in the game with the challenge, didn’t work.

Get over it.
‘Lol I know it’s not like it affected any future decisions or affected the game In any shape and there was only like 16 min left in the game .
If anything gave the players a minute or so to collect themselves . These reporters are all duds

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
the captains challenge wasn't match defining, if he didn't challenge then souths would still have the ball in the same position