Opinion Wakeham Thought

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I hope our club is chasing Jackson Hastings as per some rumours. Has a get out clause in his contract to come back to a NRL club and has more in his game than Lewis, Cogger and Wakeham combined. He is a player we can realistically target and recruit. There aren't too many other options off contract and getting a player to break a contract is always hard. Hastings could be the answer

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
So you've been talking shit without actually seeing him play for Fiji? Let me guess you've also only ever seen him play firstgrade for the Dogs, nothing else? I assume that's a yes.

I said this last week when Wakeham was selected and it was if we're going to stick with split halves then there's absolutely no point in playing him. This style of footy doesn't play to any of his strengths and you're better off just throwing a genuine ball runner into that role.

Do yourself a favour and try and watch some of the Fiji games where Wakeham played a key role, you might be surprised to see how different a player he looks playing a style of footy that actually suits him.

This article here talks about some of these changes if you're not bothered to actually watch some of the footy.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nr.../unique-role-has-wakeham-flying-for-fiji/Amp/

But yes, as I said he was very, very bad last night. He simply needed to be better in some areas..but when your confidence is down and you're playing a role that doesn't play to your strengths the it's no real suprise to see a performance like that.
You continue to ignore the fact that his performances for Fiji were against nations that were reserve grade standard.

I’ve said time and time again that those performances shouldn’t be taken seriously as a form reference to be able to deliver at NRL level but you and the rest of them persisted to get yourself worked up into a frenzy about Wakeham and his golden boot nomination.

I’ve said time and time again that his kicking game and defence amongst other things isn’t up to it. Last night proved he’s got the weakest boot in the comp. His defence has been mediocre. His decision making has been questionable. Handling has let him down at times.

I can’t believe we’re still hearing “but but but did you see how we went against Lebanon”

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I feel for both Wakeham and Lewis. They both have have poor areas in their game and probably are not ever going to be great halfbacks especially Lewis but they are not as bad as our team is making them out to be. I don't even a great halfback would look good in our current side. We have multiple issues

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
So you've been talking shit without actually seeing him play for Fiji? Let me guess you've also only ever seen him play firstgrade for the Dogs, nothing else? I assume that's a yes.

I said this last week when Wakeham was selected and it was if we're going to stick with split halves then there's absolutely no point in playing him. This style of footy doesn't play to any of his strengths and you're better off just throwing a genuine ball runner into that role.

Do yourself a favour and try and watch some of the Fiji games where Wakeham played a key role, you might be surprised to see how different a player he looks playing a style of footy that actually suits him.

This article here talks about some of these changes if you're not bothered to actually watch some of the footy.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nr.../unique-role-has-wakeham-flying-for-fiji/Amp/

But yes, as I said he was very, very bad last night. He simply needed to be better in some areas..but when your confidence is down and you're playing a role that doesn't play to your strengths the it's no real suprise to see a performance like that.
I read the article, but yeah I don't have the time or inclination to go back and watch old games he played for Fiji.
Writing about what I see and having an opinion about Wakeman and how he has played in NRL matched is not "talking shit".
What I think, if Wakeham is going to be really good we would know by now. I don't think he is answer at halfback for the club, based on what I have seen so far.
He will be halfback next game I guess so continue to watch with interest.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I read the article, but yeah I don't have the time or inclination to go back and watch old games he played for Fiji.
Writing about what I see and having an opinion about Wakeman and how he has played in NRL matched is not "talking shit".
What I think, if Wakeham is going to be really good we would know by now. I don't think he is answer at halfback for the club, based on what I have seen so far.
He will be halfback next game I guess so continue to watch with interest.
So you don't want to go back and watch games that prove you wrong? Okay.

Wakeham may or may not make it, but there's at least evidence available of him playing as a genuine halfback and leading the side around the park.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
So you don't want to go back and watch games that prove you wrong? Okay.

Wakeham may or may not make it, but there's at least evidence available of him playing as a genuine halfback and leading the side around the park.

not wrong, I'm talking about how he is playing now in the NRL.
You seem to be talking about his potential under a different playing structure and in another competition not in the NRL.
Look, I think you're not a bad analyst of the game, so you think he is good? That the club goes all in on Wakeman at halfback?

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wakeham is a rookie forwards lay platforms for halves to perform our forwards are marshmallows I wouldn't be to critical of wakes

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Wakeham is a rookie forwards lay platforms for halves to perform our forwards are marshmallows I wouldn't be to critical of wakes
A decent 9 would also give him more time with the ball.
Can't believe how our halves get the ball on the last just as the defender is about to crush them

He is obviously still very green, but you could see him scheming and trying to get players to move around him and run some lines/decoys so more game time is a must.

Defence is an issue for such a little bloke but sadly we don't have a defensive coach that can help him with this part of his game.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
not wrong, I'm talking about how he is playing now in the NRL.
You seem to be talking about his potential under a different playing structure and in another competition not in the NRL.
Look, I think you're not a bad analyst of the game, so you think he is good? That the club goes all in on Wakeman at halfback?
Go all in? Absolutely not. Plenty of young halfbacks have shown glimpses but have not been able to make the step up in the end.

All I ask is for him to be given a genuine shot because as of right now the halves market is pretty much non existent and we need to find something. Unfortunately I don't think he is getting much of a go because the role he is being asked to play does not suit his strengths in the slightest, not to mention all the other things wrong with the club right now..better off just throwing Averillo into the role as he's a genuine ball runner, even then it won't be enough as the system in place is simply broken.

I still think you should go back and watch some of the footage so you can actually see what Wakeham is good at and see how he could potentially change the way our team plays for the better and how our current system limits him.

I have also mentioned this a few times, but if Pay is so set on split halves then why not just take it a little bit further and split it 3 ways? Your halfback in the middle third with two 5/8's on either side of him. Teams essentially do this at times with the lock forward playing that role through the middle, but I think for us having a halfback play this role would give us a little more direction and sharpness in general play while allowing our forwards to just worry about going forward and running the required lines. This is something Wakeham would be suited to while Foran, Hoppa or Averillo could play the two roles outside him.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why we kept persisting with the high ball on the last for every set? I get that you maybe don’t want certain teams coming back at you in open play but it was the Tigers, there were so many times in that game where the ball should’ve been kicked to the corners where we could’ve pinned them but we went with bombs that were largely uncontested and the Tigers kept getting those balls on our 20m.

That is a very low-percentage play and just kept putting us on the back foot...
2 things:
1. Coaching
2. Halves not having enough time to kick

It seems like that’s the only kick out halves are taught. With Lewis, every kick was the same and never found the grass. At least with Wakeham, he tries a few things, like his cross field chip to Holland near the end.

Also, when the forwards don’t do their jobs properly, and the service from dummy half isn’t great, the defence is up in the halves’ face by the time they receive the ball, so often it’s the only kick they can do.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I suggested either Neil Henry Or Toovey.
At least Henry has shown he can work with an inferior roster, and still build a good foundation for the club to generate success.
Henry is all about structure. It's why he got the hook at the Cowboys. He wanted Thurston to play one side of the field. As if you wouldn't let Thurston play wherever he wants. Thats the sign of a good coach. You gameplan around how to get your best players involved all the time.

SLushY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thought I’d just bump up this clowns thread, wakehem has done more than a lot of players in today’s first half only

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thought I’d just bump up this clowns thread, wakehem has done more than a lot of players in today’s first half only
If he shits the bed in the second half it’s your fault :tearsofjoy:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wakehams a keeper, right here right now.!!!

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Wakeham has potential. Hard for him to learn when Sherwin is not part of the ‘bubble’ to teach?