What would attract you to a Club?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
There are many pros and cons in deciding whether to join a club.

If you were on the open market and getting offers, what are the main things you will consider?

Wage, coach, location, team, etc.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Depends what stage of your career I guess.

But good question wages club (mates, area etc) playing time would be all up there.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Money or success. You can't turn down enough money as it's a business/job at the end of the day. You only have a short career. If either money or success is equal or almost equal to the club you support/love and an option that'd probably sway the decision. That's the same as the coach. Location would also be a factor but more for people that are from different states or countries.

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
vibe, cool players guys wanna play with- mason sbw reni that was a cool vibe

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Opportunity mate... if I’m a young guy probably the opportunity to play first grade, if I’m an older fella it could be money or to play with a family member like the Morris boys etc. middle of my career probably the dollars and opportunity to win a premiership. If the absolute tail end like a Benji Marshall or a James Graham or could be to go to a club on the rise that needs experience and then transition to coaching or set myself up with a job after footy. Overall opportunity ;)

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In my opinion money and contract length would be the biggest consideration. If it is only Say 50k per year in it (on a 500-600k contract 50k isn’t too life changing). Then it will be area, location and team as a second thought.

But in saying that. Say you are at a club, then only a huge offer or greater opportunity (going to a stronger team, better coach, more playing time) would be the incentive to move.

Right now if 16 clubs gave you the same offer and contract length and playing time/position. You’d have to say Roosters would be the best club to have infield success and professional development. And I absolutely hate the roosters, but they are just so well drilled and have remarkable resources that it will open the door to higher honours.

Even as a bulldog tragic I would have to think long and hard about committing to a bottom of the table team. Unless they have a vision and a plan in place of where they want to be 1 year, 3 years 5 years it wouldn’t be automatic to go to a club you supported (as seen with Mortimer, Hindmarsh, mansour, mannah, Farah etc). Lots more consideration then just the club.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
A top centre of excellence, a view of Sydney’s iconic K Sets, a DNA style coach, a club who refuse to have a major sponsor because they don’t want to sell themselves short (or that’s what they want to believe), a fractious board and a woman at the helm who has an amazing track record with business and football.

Did I forget anything?

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
It absolutely depends on where you are at in your career.

When you are a rookie you pretty much have to take the best offer you can get, you can't be too picky. Then it is all upto you on how much you bump up your worth. If you don't bump it up you will just continue to have to take whatever offer you can get.

Those good enough to pick and choose, if I were them I would absolutely pick the strongest squad I could get into. Premierships are what players ultimately will cherish for their entire lives.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
#Coach first
#playing group
#stability/success
#wage

only the first being in exact order lol.

I would just want to go where I know moving forward we are hopes of being top 8/top 4 and being competitive with a good system and no dick head policy, with a board that is transparent about all happenings and plans..!!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
money
pussy (by extension of location because some places have better)
travel time brtween games

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Brown paper bags, hookers and coke...

See ya in Bondi :tonguewink:

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Main thing would be contract offer, length.

If that all goes well, mates, and how long I would have to travel for training and events. For example, Penrith would be a hassle considering I wouldn’t want to live out west personally. However a teams closer to beaches would be more appealing.

also the teams long term plans is a large one

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Contract length is huge too. Job security.
Like you'd go 650 over 4 years vs 700 over three anyday. If you got over it like Packer Did you can just cruise in free money for a few years

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Contract length is huge too. Job security.
Like you'd go 650 over 4 years vs 700 over three anyday. If you got over it like Packer Did you can just cruise in free money for a few years
and you want to sign Packer :D

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
and you want to sign Packer :D
I think he is the mongrel we need. He's just having a tantrum because he's fighting with Madge. I wouldn't sign him longer than 2 years at a time though as you are right, he has that Bernard Tomic tanking in him.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 - Hookers
2 - Drugs
3 - Hookers
4 - Starting spot.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
There are many pros and cons in deciding whether to join a club.

If you were on the open market and getting offers, what are the main things you will consider?

Wage, coach, location, team, etc.
brown bags, first priority lol