Opinion Déjà Vu

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I thought it would be a nice change for someone new to create a topic here on TK rather than the usual suspects!

Let's go back to 2017. Earlier in the year there was pressure on the board and on the coach. We supposedly had money to spend for 2018 and were looking to shake up the squad that had become fairly tired. Possible recruits needed to know who the coach would be before signing with us.

Back to the current day 2020. We're in the same position (Albeit with $3M more to spend). Our board and coach in particular are feeling the pressure. We're not signing players because it's uncertain who our coach will be in 2020.

I think many will agree the biggest mistake our old board made was re-signing Des Hasler 5 months before sacking him! We wrongly kept him on and it cost us big time. It costed us signing such as Tedesco and Moses, it costed us more on our cap and we had to pay him out big time! Since then we've been been slowly picking up the pieces.

I can't help but feel we're in that very same position right now. I can really see us re-signing Dean Pay and getting worse as the season goes on. Then what happens when his position quickly becomes untenable and we're in the same position sacking a coach the same year we re-sign him?

I actually respect Dean Pay, but I think for the best of the club we need to sign someone else and know what the hell we're doing! Warriors copped shit for sacking Kearney, but what they've done is take the first spot in line for a good coach. We need to get our shit together and make a call on this as we're going to have $3M and no one to spend it on!

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: thought I saw this post already........

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it would be a nice change for someone new to create a topic here on TK rather than the usual suspects!

Let's go back to 2017. Earlier in the year there was pressure on the board and on the coach. We supposedly had money to spend for 2018 and were looking to shake up the squad that had become fairly tired. Possible recruits needed to know who the coach would be before signing with us.

Back to the current day 2020. We're in the same position (Albeit with $3M more to spend). Our board and coach in particular are feeling the pressure. We're not signing players because it's uncertain who our coach will be in 2020.

I think many will agree the biggest mistake our old board made was re-signing Des Hasler 5 months before sacking him! We wrongly kept him on and it cost us big time. It costed us signing such as Tedesco and Moses, it costed us more on our cap and we had to pay him out big time! Since then we've been been slowly picking up the pieces.

I can't help but feel we're in that very same position right now. I can really see us re-signing Dean Pay and getting worse as the season goes on. Then what happens when his position quickly becomes untenable and we're in the same position sacking a coach the same year we re-sign him?

I actually respect Dean Pay, but I think for the best of the club we need to sign someone else and know what the hell we're doing! Warriors copped shit for sacking Kearney, but what they've done is take the first spot in line for a good coach. We need to get our shit together and make a call on this as we're going to have $3M and no one to spend it on!
Better than reading anything from Nasheed and his many profiles!

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
None of us on here know whats happening behind the scenes. The rumours linking us to Bennett and Bellamy suggests to me that there are enquiries made to other coaches for next year.

I agree that it could be affecting our recruitment for next year but the players should be sold on the club (not the coach). When coaches change clubs they dont normally bring an influx of players with them. The cap doesnt allow them too.

I dont think Pay will be re-signed and I agree that he shouldnt. I think they are actively looking for a coach for next year and when they get one they will announce Pay wont be re-signed. Then a few weeks later they will announce the new coach.

Just my opinion though

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I respect Pay, but I reckon getting a coach from a non-Bulldogs background is the way to go. I hate seeing Pay cop shit from everyone after a loss, especially considering his hands have been tied most of the time he's been our coach.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

We’re in a much worse position. The board blew it but I think the old board if they stayed on would have let Dean Pay go by now.

The other thing was under the previous board we were routinely in the 8 with a diabolical attack. That was judged to be not good enough. We now have Lyn and co. tempering our expectations with gradual climb back into the 8 and nothing else.

Horrible.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
At least Dibsaster set expectations with a top 8 finish.

This current mob are happy to avoid the spoon and some fans think we are overachieving by doing so. The chickens have come home to roost, the acceptance of mediocrity has built us towards winning the wooden spoon this year.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not sure where u got that we had money to spend in 2018 from. End of this season we will have the first serious money to spend in years, and some from losing chn and Okunbor earlier this year.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not sure where u got that we had money to spend in 2018 from. End of this season we will have the first serious money to spend in years, and some from losing chn and Okunbor earlier this year.
But doesn't that mean we can spend it now on contracts for 2021? If so what the hell are we waiting for, by the time they get fingers out of bums there will be no-one worth signing left.. I just dont understand the lack of urgency or the lack of regard to how much influence a coach has in a players decision to join a club.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
At least Dibsaster set expectations with a top 8 finish.

This current mob are happy to avoid the spoon and some fans think we are overachieving by doing so. The chickens have come home to roost, the acceptance of mediocrity has built us towards winning the wooden spoon this year.
Absolutely, at least some said how it was.. that’s black and white. Nothing else is.!!

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
@Dognacious That's why I said supposedly. That's the narrative they were giving us at the time - that we had money to spend and were looking for external talent.

Obviously now looking back we know that was BS.

Changes

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
But doesn't that mean we can spend it now on contracts for 2021? If so what the hell are we waiting for, by the time they get fingers out of bums there will be no-one worth signing left.. I just dont understand the lack of urgency or the lack of regard to how much influence a coach has in a players decision to join a club.
I think the urgency is there to sign players but I truly believe people are staying away from our club because of the current board. If The previous board was in I’m pretty sure they would’ve supported Pay in who he wants to sign etc. I think his hands are currently seriously tied. I would love to hear what Pay has to say once he is punted.

Changes

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Absolutely, at least some said how it was.. that’s black and white. Nothing else is.!!
We are a club that has always demanded success and a premiership and now we led to believe anything better than 10th spot is a success which is complete BS. We are the bulldogs not the titans.