News JIMMY BRINGS: All the inside mail on the NRL, delivered by James Hooper

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah but the way I see it, it makes the club look worse as they know who they want but can't entice those players to sign.

If they start signing players of Grant's calibre like Burton in the halves then people will be delighted. As I've said before, hopefully they've learnt from those situations and are more aggressive because I'd rather they pay a little more for a young gun like Grant, Robson or Burton than overpay for someone like Napa.
There’s so many reasons why players may or may not sign though and the club can’t control all of that.

Everyone has the benefit of hindsight mate. A not insubstantial offer to Grant well before he played NRL was foresight. So he’s a Qld’er who ended up in Melbourne - like so many of his contemporaries. And I doubt the Storm will let him go either (outside the loan).

I see a number of posters who say things like ‘just throw an extra $100k at them’. That sort of financial responsibility is how we got into such massive strife to begin with. What if you ended up another Tony Williams on your books taking $2m over 4 years?

Being more shrewd is going to win you some and lose you some, but ultimately put you in a place where you can at least compete for top talent - something we haven’t been able to do since 2016.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There’s so many reasons why players may or may not sign though and the club can’t control all of that.

Everyone has the benefit of hindsight mate. A not insubstantial offer to Grant well before he played NRL was foresight. So he’s a Qld’er who ended up in Melbourne - like so many of his contemporaries. And I doubt the Storm will let him go either (outside the loan).

I see a number of posters who say things like ‘just throw an extra $100k at them’. That sort of financial responsibility is how we got into such massive strife to begin with. What if you ended up another Tony Williams on your books taking $2m over 4 years?

Being more shrewd is going to win you some and lose you some, but ultimately put you in a place where you can at least compete for top talent - something we haven’t been able to do since 2016.
That's all fair Dinkum but my point is they weren't so shrewd with Napa, Stimson etc. Or by upgrading Lewis when he still had a year left on his deal. Or by extending Jackson for three years at around 600k when he hasn't played well for a few seasons.

You also need to pick and choose when to be aggressive or offer more to. I agree, you can't do it with everyone and like Napa, I hated the She-Rex signing the minute it was reported.

Anyway, I'm sick of going over the players we missed out on or past mistakes. I wish the club would announce some more exciting signings like Thompson so we can start talking about the future instead of dwelling on the past.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agree with your point. The club should not be paying overs for non-spine players like Bateman, Cotirc, JAC, etc

When it comes to spine players, I think we have to - even if its a risk. I don't mean stupid money like Foran's deal but paying an extra $100K on Grant or Burton is a risk we need to take. Clearly in hindsight they would upped the offer to land either Robson or Grant but the worry is now they will pay overs for Bateman and Cotric just to sign some marquee players to make up for the players we missed out on

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
That's all fair Dinkum but my point is they weren't so shrewd with Napa, Stimson etc. Or by upgrading Lewis when he still had a year left on his deal. Or by extending Jackson for three years at around 600k when he hasn't played well for a few seasons.

You also need to pick and choose when to be aggressive or offer more to. I agree, you can't do it with everyone and like Napa, I hated the She-Rex signing the minute it was reported.

Anyway, I'm sick of going over the players we missed out on. I wish the club would announce some exciting signings other than Thompson so we can start talking about the future instead of dwelling on the past.
You can talk till you're blue and white in the face with sensible arguments of fact but some just will not sensibly evaluate I'm afraid.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You can talk till you're blue and white in the face with sensible arguments of fact but some just will not sensibly evaluate I'm afraid.
At the end of the day everyone is a passionate fan on here no matter what opinions they have. I just wish we had more positive things to talk about than debating what a clown like Hooper writes in his article.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
At the end of the day everyone is a passionate fan on here no matter what opinions they have. I just wish we had more positive things to talk about than debating what a clown like Hooper writes in his article.
So true...but we aren't in charge nor do we have that honour or responsibility.

Those that do will be criticised and held to account until some decent results are on the table.

And they shouldn't expect, nor want, it any other way.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Our best chance of snagging a hooker is Brandon Smith. Would love for him to play 60 mins hooker then last 20 bring on a Cogger or JMK and have him as a middle forward. Bit like the McInnes situation!

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's like getting a encouragement award for trying really hard but not being good enough.

Of course the club won't sign every player they target but if they just nailed one of the numerous hooker's they targeted over the last few years we would be in a much better position.
Like when we nailed Lichaa

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Our best chance of snagging a hooker is Brandon Smith. Would love for him to play 60 mins hooker then last 20 bring on a Cogger or JMK and have him as a middle forward. Bit like the McInnes situation!
He'd be perfect but I just can't see Melbourne letting him go even if Cam stays on.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Anyway, I'm sick of going over the players we missed out on or past mistakes. I wish the club would announce some more exciting signings like Thompson so we can start talking about the future instead of dwelling on the past.
Mate you have to consider all the circumstances.
Napa - what are you basing your claims on - ZT? I can tell you some of the assumptions about what some players are paid are not accurate at all.
Stimson - do you think he's paid substantially well? He's a squad player - same as Chris Smith - everyone needs depth. I'll admit I was disappointed in his start to the season - but I won't judge him on the two games he's played until he returns from his injury (could be next year).
Lewis - was extended by 1 year, along with several others to originally time towards the end of the previous broadcast deal which likely would've resulted in a revised salary cap - so you hedge your bets until you know the facts - something that didn't happen in the past and look how that turned out for us.
C-19 obviously ruined any of that planning re: 2021 extensions and now we probably have some players on the books for next year we may not need. It's far from a perfect science.
Jackson is carrying an injury and won't have it fixed until the end of the season because he's the captain and he won't stand down when he knows the squad is weak. He's capable of much more when not injured and surrounded by better players, even though his rep days are over and I think that's good for the club.
So there's many factors mate - it's not simply poor planning or what was missed out on etc.
But yes, let's focus on the future. A couple of quality signings and much of the noise will go away. Offers are tabled. Let's hope they close them.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Spoken like a true jackal.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Agree with your point. The club should not be paying overs for non-spine players like Bateman, Cotirc, JAC, etc

When it comes to spine players, I think we have to - even if its a risk. I don't mean stupid money like Foran's deal but paying an extra $100K on Grant or Burton is a risk we need to take. Clearly in hindsight they would upped the offer to land either Robson or Grant but the worry is now they will pay overs for Bateman and Cotric just to sign some marquee players to make up for the players we missed out on
Precisely - money we didn't have during those original conversations.
Why do you think Cotric and Bateman didn't immediately jump at the original offers?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
More talk, more speculation, no action, nothing official.!!

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Did I say you should be content?
Not you but other negative people told us a million times the board was shit for not even trying to sign players. That’s my point
They shouldn't get credit for trying considering the net result

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
They shouldn't get credit for trying considering the net result
Maybe not but I’m only pointing out many said we hadn’t even tried to sign anyone and were a “do nothing” board