The Pay paradox

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I'm the only one thinking about this Pay situation it seems.

The issue for me is when he was signed, there was no expectation of success in 2018-20. We have overachieved prior to this year, and the board has shot down Pays recruitment requests (API, Reynolds,Guerra) so how has he been able to achieve? To turf him is dirty. He has been with us in the trenches and has helped avoid embarrassment. What's it say about our clubs morals if we turf a guy that didn't have the tools to succeed? Then there's the injuries to Foran, Chris Smith and the two sex offenders getting cut.

On the other hand, he is not in a babysitting role, so how could the board justify a re-signing? There's nothing to grip onto as a positive. He's done nothing wrong but hasn't achieved so how can he be given a new contract?

It's a tough one.

I think the only answer is sign for another season and if Nothing happens 12 months from now then it's game over and we bring in Bennett who will be up for sale himself.

I will warn the board though to not overrule the coaches requests with recruitment. Let him build the team he wants. Then we all know the answer if he fails without controversy.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Put the "cattle" to the side, pay has no game plans or tactics, his selections get worse and worse every week, he doesn't play players in position, he has no idea about bench rotation, buys players and doesn't use them at all and to make things worse, he has not shown one bit of improvement.

Every year he has been here and will be here will be a write off year. I wouldn't even have him as a waterboy, he'd probably fuck that up too.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
There's something I have NEVER gotten over from Pay.

when he first came here, he stated his first priority was to re-sign Michael Lichaa.

This worries me from an NRL coach. I know there's an argument about this player being stifled from Hasler, but a coach should have identified he was slow, couldn't pass well and was lost in the middle. What's even worse, was he signed him for TWO years and that's unforgivable. No one was trying to poach him.
Giving him one more season to see if he could be changed was a big mistake but still forgivable, but two years on a long shot? That no one else wanted to sign?
A Lichaa fo two years?
That's really horrible judgment on a few levels.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our spine for over 2-2.5years has been mainly Cogger Lewis JMK Meaney.. whoever assembled this spine & persists with selecting any combination of the above players in a NRL spine must go..

None are up to NRL level.. 2.5 years and they are still in the squad & still selected in FG ..

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Lichea over achieved to be honest.
No-one would have extended him and that fact that Pay did sias it all. He should have been given a 5 year deal because he brought the madness.
I suppose he taught JMK everything he needed to know with JMK know killing it at hooker so it is beyond belief that he wasnt retained to fill the fullback position. With Lichea, Pay could have undoubtedly coached him to be the rockstar fullback we were promised but the board werent having any of it.
Sad times:(

Last edited:

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only feeling I have for the situation Pay finds himself in, is this board didn't hire him.
He took the job on knowing he had a roster with klemmer mbye woods who where moved on immediately. Then there was release of the mozzes and the likes of talau and other good juniors who have claimed NRL spots elsewhere and are embarrassing our decision.
On the surface our team selections appear to be all on Pay. The results and buck stop with him. If there's a reason behind the scenes why this is happening then he has a choice.
If he can't control it then he must walk away. If he feels he has something to offer then he needs to be firm and butt heads with his employers. We have a history of success with this method. I.e. Warren Ryan, Phil Gould.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tell him to start packing up

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The only feeling I have for the situation Pay finds himself in, is this board didn't hire him.
He took the job on knowing he had a roster with klemmer mbye woods who where moved on immediately. Then there was release of the mozzes and the likes of talau and other good juniors who have claimed NRL spots elsewhere and are embarrassing our decision.
On the surface our team selections appear to be all on Pay. The results and buck stop with him. If there's a reason behind the scenes why this is happening then he has a choice.
If he can't control it then he must walk away. If he feels he has something to offer then he needs to be firm and butt heads with his employers. We have a history of success with this method. I.e. Warren Ryan, Phil Gould.
Trent Barrett tried this method three years ago and all its got him is an assistant job at Penrith. On LU he is mocked as a Prima Donna for leaving a top job.

Last edited:

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: I really think we should here from The Chimpster..... he is a know it all wanna be

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If we extend Pay and he’s involved in our next recruitment drive my fear is he gets it all wrong and is sacked next year for the next coach to go through the rebuild all over again and clean up Pays mess. Big call to persist with Pay who has the dogs at the bottom of the table. Thought we hit rock bottom 1-2 years ago

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I guess we'll hear all about the behind the scenes machinations when Dean releases his tell all book.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who's Felicia but?
Hi Nasheed,

how are you? I hope all is well with you

you posed an excellent question and can be answered in many different forms.

I too have pondered that same question, are we felicia in our own lives? is nasheed a felicia???

I think you should start a separate thread asking that very question

bye felicia

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have asked this question elsewhere. Who is making the decisions at this club? Is Pay or someone else? Sure Pay has to wear playing players out of position, persisting with non- performing favourites. But who is in charge of recruitment. Two years ago half the squad was listed as second rowers and 1 centre. Sjecond rate second rowers at best. Lately we have been recruiting wingers ad nauseam. And men’s is the club is again eyeing off yet more. Who is this genius?

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopes
I have asked this question elsewhere. Who is making the decisions at this club? Is Pay or someone else? Sure Pay has to wear playing players out of position, persisting with non- performing favourites. But who is in charge of recruitment. Two years ago half the squad was listed as second rowers and 1 centre. Sjecond rate second rowers at best. Lately we have been recruiting wingers ad nauseam. And men’s is the club is again eyeing off yet more. Who is this genius?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
opposition supporters would love for us to persist with pay for another season

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you all thinking small potatoes . Everyone is singling out pay , I would get rid of him , all coaching support staff including assistances , strength and conditioning etc

firstly the team is not fit enough , look at roosters last night they completed in 65% range , and they still did not look fatigued and played a cracker game .

the current team is not being coached as can’t see improvement and one of the hallmarks of great bulldogs sides used to be their fitness especially during the folkes ‘ Johnston days. Add comments from Morris twins about training and preparation they are getting at roosters and tells you the amateur setup at the dogs

#PayOut