Opinion Our club is not an attraction anymore

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That’s the point right? No one wants to come in to do the hard work, everyone wants to wait at the finish line.

Just means we have to pay overs.
And recruit and develop juniors, like we have for the past 40 years except under that hack Hasler!

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Api is over rated. Ramien is a sook and we dodged a bullet. Herman would have been a decent signing . We need a forward with mongrel and attitude like big willie!! Harper to make a statement this weekend. JMK is hooker of the future. The future is exciting. Top 8 next year....

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all depends on how much you’d have to over pay on players like Latrell and Fifita you’d have to blow the bank on them. I think you’d have to go at least $300k over other offers to get them to even consider it. It’s not worth it. We have to bid out time until the right players become available you don’t seem to like the patient approach but it looks like that’s the way the club is doing it.
I’m not that keen either at spending 300 k over market value just to entice a top line player to our club
Understanding that we are talking about the 2021 season,but it does seem to be the general consensus amongst many supporters it’s the only way they will sign
Effectively we are looking at 2 or 3 guns arriving potential costing the club close to 1 million in overs
It’s a big decision from our management

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I agree with old mate. Pay latrell and David Fifita 1 mil each. Game breakers in the back row and backline we don’t have and still kids.

Sign grant from storm. Gun hooker coming through only chance to fix it ASAP.

Build from there. Though they alone will see some decent signings follow at a reasonable price as they will want to play with two stars with youth!

Saves us in the long run, adds to our attraction both on and off the field.

Latrell, D Fifita ,Grant in!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’m not that keen either at spending 300 k over market value just to entice a top line player to our club
Understanding that we are talking about the 2021 season,but it does seem to be the general consensus amongst many supporters it’s the only way they will sign
Effectively we are looking at 2 or 3 guns arriving potential costing the club close to 1 million in overs
It’s a big decision from our management
So you'd rather overpay for average to decent players instead? At the end of the day we can't sign any player that another club wants (Koroisau, Ramien, Ese'ese, Jennings, the list will keep going on). As we have to overpay, it makes more sense to add fewer additions (e.g. 2 marquee players and a young gun like Harry Grant). The last thing we want to do is recruit 4-5 average to decent players paying overs or keeping the exact same squad we have...

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you'd rather overpay for average to decent players instead? At the end of the day we can't sign any player that another club wants (Koroisau, Ramien, Ese'ese, Jennings, the list will keep going on). As we have to overpay, it makes more sense to add fewer additions (e.g. 2 marquee players and a young gun like Harry Grant). The last thing we want to do is recruit 4-5 average to decent players paying overs or keeping the exact same squad we have...
I didn’t mention anything about paying extra for just an average player
The management seem to have a plan and knowledge on who is getting the top dollars or overs
Anderson and company have been around a very long time so I trust their judgment on this subject
Obviously Api & Ramien didn’t meet the criteria to go crazy with the cheque book
These 2 or 3 future marquee players could cost us an additional 1 M
Cuts into our cap space by a fair bit
I just hope we are careful with this strategy

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Need a few big names in every team. Top 4 teams have about 7 top quality players minimum
  1. Munster, Addo-Carr, Chambers, Smith, Kaufusi, Bromwich, Asofa-Solomona
  2. Cronk, Tedesco, Mitchell, Manu, Keary, Cordner, JWH, Crichton
  3. Reynolds, Walker, Gagai, Roberts, Murray, Cook, Burgess, Burgess
  4. Wighton, Rapana, Croker, Cotric, Soliola, Hodgson, Papalli
Every single one of these players would walk into the Bulldogs and improve the squad.

I'd say we have about 5, nowhere near the 7 minimum needed, and 2 or 3 of them are very unreliable: Jackson, Foran, Napa, DWZ, Hoppa. We really need to add 3 solid top shelf players, and that's easily done with a 8.5m cap to spend.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need a few big names in every team. Top 4 teams have about 7 top quality players minimum
  1. Munster, Addo-Carr, Chambers, Smith, Kaufusi, Bromwich, Asofa-Solomona
  2. Cronk, Tedesco, Mitchell, Manu, Keary, Cordner, JWH, Crichton
  3. Reynolds, Walker, Gagai, Roberts, Murray, Cook, Burgess, Burgess
  4. Wighton, Rapana, Croker, Cotric, Soliola, Hodgson, Papalli
Every single one of these players would walk into the Bulldogs and improve the squad.

I'd say we have about 5, nowhere near the 7 minimum needed, and 2 or 3 of them are very unreliable: Jackson, Foran, Napa, DWZ, Hoppa. We really need to add 3 solid top shelf players, and that's easily done with a 8.5m cap to spend.
Totally agree we need 3 top line players for the 2021 season
That’s when we are supposed to be all good regarding our cap
The question is how much extra do we need to pay just entice the marquee players to our club
I feel some managers are going to throw ridiculous figures at us
We need to be smart as a club

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I didn’t mention anything about paying extra for just an average player
The management seem to have a plan and knowledge on who is getting the top dollars or overs
Anderson and company have been around a very long time so I trust their judgment on this subject
Obviously Api & Ramien didn’t meet the criteria to go crazy with the cheque book
These 2 or 3 future marquee players could cost us an additional 1 M
Cuts into our cap space by a fair bit
I just hope we are careful with this strategy
I just don't see an alternative regarding bringing in players. DWZ was a miracle signing, was a mid season signing and we were the only club that could play him Fullback (Eels wanted him Centre and Tigers couldn't move Mbye on).

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
2 quick points
1st signing or recruit may need to pay a lil over to pry him away from his current club and also attract further recruits to come to play with them. The first “big” fish will attract other fish to sign on.

Second point is;
Clubs must use 90% of their cap minimum
I’d rather spend it on actual first graders than Holland lichaa Montoya Elliot fualolo etc

If we don’t make signings than these are the dead wood that will remain and will “take up” our cap.

The first major signing must be close to a marquee player or at the very least an established first grader.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
2 quick points
1st signing or recruit may need to pay a lil over to pry him away from his current club and also attract further recruits to come to play with them. The first “big” fish will attract other fish to sign on.

Second point is;
Clubs must use 90% of their cap minimum
I’d rather spend it on actual first graders than Holland lichaa Montoya Elliot fualolo etc

If we don’t make signings than these are the dead wood that will remain and will “take up” our cap.

The first major signing must be close to a marquee player or at the very least an established first grader.
Do our best to save it for the 2021 season. Either bringing in mercenary players (experienced, 1 season) or front load contracts. E.g. players like Segeyaro (behind McCullough and Turpin), Josh Morris (if Ramien to Sharks links are true, a possibility) and SBW (fairy tale finish while doing us a massive solid).

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
you only need to see manly tonight to realise what haslers coaching skill is like.

He can get guys up. But as soon as we lost a good player. He always struggled to get the best out of the squad.

Way easier to see when your watching another club coached by him

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
you only need to see manly tonight to realise what haslers coaching skill is like.

He can get guys up. But as soon as we lost a good player. He always struggled to get the best out of the squad.

Way easier to see when your watching another club coached by him
Send Des to the Titans and people will see how great a coach he is lol... Useless without the best players in key positions. Foran and DCE at their peak together in the same team with Snake at his peak with Lyon at his peak etc...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Send Des to the Titans and people will see how great a coach he is lol... Useless without the best players in key positions. Foran and DCE at their peak together in the same team with Snake at his peak with Lyon at his peak etc...
Des is more known for his defence. You do need talent and confident players to break away from attacking structures. Almost everyone predicted Manly to be bottom 4 this season looking at their roster.

A

Alexander the Great

Can someone make a list of players we have been connected to this year and have not been able to sign...thanks in advance