Opinion Des

Should we have kept Des Hasler?

• Total voters

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The board's biggest issue and my biggest gripe with them was the re-signing of Hasler only months earlier. It was a terrible decision and backfired insanely both with possible players we could've signed and most importantly financially.

It was their 1 mistake and it was unforgivable.

I see why the board did it, but Hasler obviously had other plans. We missed out on Tedesco and Moses because of Des. Had the board said goodbye to Hasler instead of re-signing him and got Dean Pay as planned, we may have been in a completely different position today.
I agree with you, but I still think they are who we still needed / need.

Tedesco, Moses, latrell, Munster and god knows who else LOLLL.. that fraud And his talent scout mate efffd us.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Des deserved to go and he destroyed the club. Fuck him. I don't yearn for the last few seasons of Desball... We're still playing Desball three years later, just without the attention to detail.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
This guy (Des) who didn't care one bit about our club or the future of it decided to try an experiment of his version of money ball. He tried to buy a premiership knowing that win or lose that it would fuk our club for a very long time. I know Buzz likes to tug off saying that Des would have had a plan to get us out of it but I don't see how they could have.

Des came up snake eyes, fuked us and I don't think it's that much stretch of the imagination that the boring footy he then brought in was intentional because he knew it would get him booted from the club and out of dealing with the mess.

He then gets booted, paid out on massive money while the boys club the RL defends him and saved his legacy. He never and has never owned up to his destruction and when the Dogs let him off the hook by mending fences with him a little of my pride for the club died with it. He played our club like a fiddle.

Des is a very smart **** but he is a slimey fukin arsehole and the Dogs fans paid the price and still are. Hell he destroyed his own club that he loves and left them to it. The dumb c*nts then invited him back after it was fixed.

He destroyed our club on all levels for his ego, so in conclusion are you fukin serious right now? The **** should have had a hit taken out on him!

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des's problem was he thought his plan would work, he just needed to stick with it and maybe tinker with it a little and they would be successful. It just wasn't working and he didn't have the ability to accept he was wrong. Obviously going to Manly he would have had to come up with another plan, that may or may not work. But if it doesn't work he has shown he can't change. Pay on the other hand changes things more time than he changes underwear, I don't think he has confidence in his plan. Maybe he shouldn't but if that's the case we need someone with a better plan rather than changing every week.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Des is a good coach in the strictest sense of the word - coaching rugby league.. Recruitment/retention & salary cap stuff he needs to leave to others more competent..

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes. A top coach in these times would of been valuable. I believe Des was following orders from Castle and Dib - to play to a higher salary cap (there's no way that comes from a coach). I'm sure he had a say in how to create the contracts (back ending and ratchet clauses). When the new board came in they could of easier of just stripped some of Des' power (if he had complete say in recruitment and not giving juniors a go - that's what I hear other people say at least). Back when the decision was made the decision made next to no sense performance wise. We missed the top eight once under Des and he's the best coach we've had since 2005 (since I've been watching, can't speak beforehand).

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I couldn't stand his press conferences. For a trained school teacher he can't string a sentence together. For a long time I thought he was just mocking the reporters but he never stopped. I had no idea what he was going on about most of the time.

deimus

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Des had to go. In the end gouging your own eyes out would have been more entertaining than watching us play.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hindsights great isn't it.

Considering the time that has elapsed, should we have kept Des? I say yes.

We should have stripped some power from him but even toward the end our defence was always amazing even when we werent in the game. Should have created a recruitment commitee, sacked that fat grimace thing, get the juniors back on track.

Instead we are up shit creek without a paddle at the moment.
If I remember correctly you're a good poster in the kennel...... However this one is terrible mate and you need a yellow card. Haha
images.jpeg

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes. A top coach in these times would of been valuable. I believe Des was following orders from Castle and Dib - to play to a higher salary cap (there's no way that comes from a coach). I'm sure he had a say in how to create the contracts (back ending and ratchet clauses). When the new board came in they could of easier of just stripped some of Des' power (if he had complete say in recruitment and not giving juniors a go - that's what I hear other people say at least). Back when the decision was made the decision made next to no sense performance wise. We missed the top eight once under Des and he's the best coach we've had since 2005 (since I've been watching, can't speak beforehand).
It was all Des with the back loading it's the way he did things at Manly too. He had complete control over the roster and cap management.

If it was Castle and Dib why wouldn't they have just kept on back loading once Des was gone? Once Des left the shit hit the fan salary cap wise.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1-2 years watching the club nose dive off a cliff watching/knowing the inevitable was coming. That last game with Des knowing we were stuffed for years to come was the worst time for me as a Dogs supporter. I was shattered.
This year is a right off. No where near how bad it was 2 and a half years ago.
All I can do is hope that the Club has made some quality signings and that we will have a new coach next year because unfortunately we know nothing.
Dont want Reynolds, dont want Foran resigned, dont want Benji or any other old timer broken down players.
Want to see calculated signing looking to the future. Clubs had there window of opportunity to sign players.
Couldnt care less about Des.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It was all Des with the back loading it's the way he did things at Manly too. He had complete control over the roster and cap management.

If it was Castle and Dib why wouldn't they have just kept on back loading once Des was gone? Once Des left the shit hit the fan salary cap wise.
The board got "information" that the salary cap was going to rise to ~11m (over so many years). They passed that information onto Des. The board wanted to win a premiership and this was going to give them/us a competitive advantage. So the board jumped the gun and Des (and board/recruitment team) had already organised the back ended deals and ratchet clauses. The salary cap didn't increase to what the board thought it would. Talking about this situation only Des is nothing more than collateral damage in my eyes. The rest is history.

"The situation has arisen because their predecessors worked towards an estimated salary cap figure north of $10 million for the current season, when the actual figure - after months of collective bargaining agreement negotiations - landed on $9.4 million."

North of 10 million, it wasn't 10 million. If it was we would of only had to move on one or two players and not a complete rebuild (losing all of our best players and not even replacing them until 2021).

Last edited:

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m des defence , he had to care short term only , in addition to rockstar fullback quote , didn’t management promise 2 premierships

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The board got "information" that the salary cap was going to rise to ~11m (over so many years). They passed that information onto Des. The board wanted to win a premiership and this was going to give them a competitive advantage. So the board jumped the gun and Des (and board/recruitment team) had already organised the back ended deals and ratchet clauses.
Des was doing it back in 2014 long before any cap rises were even talked about. He was in effect using a credit card to push the payments further back to keep the premiership window open long then it would have naturally been.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Des was doing it back in 2014 long before any cap rises were even talked about. He was in effect using a credit card to push the payments further back to keep the premiership window open long then it would have naturally been.
I don't care about the back ended deals tbh, I care about playing to a salary cap that didn't exist. I think you're missing the point.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Without Api and Fainu there this year Manly look a lot worse as Levi is just trash... They now look like the same one dimensional defensive minded team he made us. Even with Turbo and DCE..

So Des isn't the mastercoach people think he is and it stresses the importance of dummy halves that can run and threaten in attack.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No of corse we shouldn’t have kept Des... but we shouldn’t be keeping #Payout either.!!!!!

We fucked one off, now let’s get rid of the other .!!!!!

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care about the back ended deals tbh, I care about playing to a salary cap that didn't exist. I think you're missing the point.
Sorry mate and I could be wrong on this, I thought even at what the old board thought was going to be the new cap at that time, they still exceeded it by over a million.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think we would have improved much under Des. We were playing shocking at the end and don't forget he was hopeless at team selections (ie: Tony Williams) and recruitment (ie: Lichaa while letting go of Cook). We would have been just as bad as we are now with the same cap issues / lack of quality players but still paying a MIL a year to our non performing coach.