Opinion Des

Should we have kept Des Hasler?

• Total voters

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hindsights great isn't it.

Considering the time that has elapsed, should we have kept Des? I say yes.

We should have stripped some power from him but even toward the end our defence was always amazing even when we werent in the game. Should have created a recruitment commitee, sacked that fat grimace thing, get the juniors back on track.

Instead we are up shit creek without a paddle at the moment.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Would have been nice to see him try to swim out of his own shit but Dib was trying to stay in power and went with change unfortunately

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nahh he completely screwed up our junior system. Pay sucks but I still have nightmares of the team camped in the opposition 20m doing nothing..... Sacking Hasler was a step in the right direction, Pay was never gonna be our long term coach but just someone to see out the shit years until we found a coach to replace Hasler.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would have been nice to see him try to swim out of his own shit but Dib was trying to stay in power and went with change unfortunately
Like Woods he just never got the opportunity cause of club cut them.
Des always made the point that he wasnt given time to manage it at Manly, i'm sure it was the same here.
But lets say he did, and the cap was over. If he cut a few players you can't tell me we'd dish up the same shit we have been since Pay took over.
Quite sad really

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nahh he completely screwed up our junior system. Pay sucks but I still have nightmares of the team camped in the opposition 20m doing nothing..... Sacking Hasler was a step in the right direction, Pay was never gonna be our long term coach but just someone to see out the shit years until we found a coach to replace Hasler.
Now we stay camped in our own 20 though

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fmd some people are delusional.. Des and dib set us on our current path. The current board and coach haven't done enough to rectify their wrongs, but make no mistake about it, the single worst decision in the clubs history was made by dib and hasler. The decision to neglect juniors.. it will take years to recover.. the back ended contracts are a drop in the ocean compared to that monumental f up ..

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not even a debate.

This was the same guy who:

• Signed Tolman to a 4 year deal (explains the 4th tackle syndrome)
  • Back ended contract after contract (including Eastwood, whose final year was worth in excess of 900k)
  • Got rid of Cook, Taupau, Ese'ese, Lane along with a host of other players who are now killing it at other clubs
  • Lack of junior focus and deveopment
You may be hating Pay, but Des was a fucking disaster.

The only reason this is a consideration is because of what he has done for Manly of late. But what has he done? He walked into a team with a freak at 1, one of the games best at 7, and a lock that would tackle his mum on training night. Not much was needed for that team.

Let's see how that team goes without Tommy, and see if the Des crew are still onboard with him.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not even a debate.

This was the same guy who:

• Signed Tolman to a 4 year deal (explains the 4th tackle syndrome)
  • Back ended contract after contract (including Eastwood, whose final year was worth in excess of 900k)
  • Got rid of Cook, Taupau, Ese'ese, Lane along with a host of other players who are now killing it at other clubs
  • Lack of junior focus and deveopment
You may be hating Pay, but Des was a fucking disaster.
Get what ur saying but Des took us to 2 grand finals in 3 years. Dean pay has kept us from avoiding the spoon for 3 years. He also played Lewis in the halves, he should be charged with crimes against rugby league for that alone.
People dont see progress (not that theres been much of that) only results

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Get what ur saying but Des took us to 2 grand finals in 3 years. Dean pay has kept us from avoiding the spoon for 3 years. He also played Lewis in the halves, he should be charged with crimes against rugby league for that alone.
People dont see progress (not that theres been much of that) only results
Regardless.

Des got us in this mess - he was a white ant. Our books are a friggen mess, and I would rather 3 years of near spoon than 3 years of fighting for 8th spot and doing nothing with it.

At least now we can somewhat have competitive years ahead.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Regardless.

Des got us in this mess - he was a white ant. Our books are a friggen mess, and I would rather 3 years of near spoon than 3 years of fighting for 8th spot and doing nothing with it.

At least now we can somewhat have competitive years ahead.
I cant see it. Theres literally nothing i've seen that shows we are going to be close to competitive for a long time.
We'll have to pay big overs to get anyone of note then we'll be in the same mess when this next crop of juniors comes through.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It does pose a good hypothetical because Des would have had some sort of plan. I would have loved to know how he planned to get out of if it.

The backloaded contracts were Des' way to get around the cap I think he would have just kept using them and moving on players when he could.

Who knows if we would have been in a better or worse position now.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
His position was untenable. He was still coaching the same plays from 2012 in 2017.

He was backloaidng everyone's pay to the point Eastwood was a million dollar player.

Des just didnt like change and became way too powerful and comfortable.

The situation we're in right now is shit, but we could've been a lot worse if we left things as is with Des.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Hindsights great isn't it.

Considering the time that has elapsed, should we have kept Des? I say yes.

We should have stripped some power from him but even toward the end our defence was always amazing even when we werent in the game. Should have created a recruitment commitee, sacked that fat grimace thing, get the juniors back on track.

Instead we are up shit creek without a paddle at the moment.
Are you serious? Do you not see the mess our club is in now because of him?? Paying overs for Foran, Woods and Mbye?

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I cant see it. Theres literally nothing i've seen that shows we are going to be close to competitive for a long time.
We'll have to pay big overs to get anyone of note then we'll be in the same mess when this next crop of juniors comes through.
We're in the midst of potential change.

They have to get this right, and they know it. Thompson, by all accounts, is a step in the right direction. If he kills for us, we tag on Bateman (of which I think we're favourite), and then sign a couple of other players - we're competitive again.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We're in the midst of potential change.

They have to get this right, and they know it. Thompson, by all accounts, is a step in the right direction. If he kills for us, we tag on Bateman (of which I think we're favourite), and then sign a couple of other players - we're competitive again.
I worry about Thompson
The club has promoted him so hard and hes a ligher forward. Lucky the game has picked up pace which will help him.
Agreed. They have to get it right or we will be fucked for a while

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No from me.
He had everything at his disposal and DEStroyed it.
We boasted about our centre of excellence.
Years later we literally lack 2 centres of excellence.
As well as a fullback,hooker and halfback of excellence.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Previous Board YES ..
they were cunning and they knew how to get the job done. We had sponsors and third party sponsors lining up. The one mistake that board made was sadly a nail in the coffin. They did so much good but the fraud Des was convincing enough to allow some mind blowing decisions to be made.

Des Hasler NO
His ego and arrogance gets the better of him and he is the reason why our once great club is In the state it’s in.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he was punted at the right time , I put down the success at manly again with him having a year off , recharging , and reviewing his tactics during the time off .

I think having a year off has allowed him to do things differently as noted by earlier poster he was stuck in his ways at the dogs and couldn’t /wouldn’t change his ways .

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Previous Board YES ..
they were cunning and they knew how to get the job done. We had sponsors and third party sponsors lining up. The one mistake that board made was sadly a nail in the coffin. They did so much good but the fraud Des was convincing enough to allow some mind blowing decisions to be made.

Des Hasler NO
His ego and arrogance gets the better of him and he is the reason why our once great club is In the state it’s in.
The board's biggest issue and my biggest gripe with them was the re-signing of Hasler only months earlier. It was a terrible decision and backfired insanely both with possible players we could've signed and most importantly financially.

It was their 1 mistake and it was unforgivable.

I see why the board did it, but Hasler obviously had other plans. We missed out on Tedesco and Moses because of Des. Had the board said goodbye to Hasler instead of re-signing him and got Dean Pay as planned, we may have been in a completely different position today.