News Wakeham’s bold call

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Canterbury rookie halfback Brandon Wakeham has boldly declared he doesn’t like any rival NRL team and he won’t be bullied, starting with Sunday’s blockbuster match-up against South Sydney veterans Adam Reynolds and Cody Walker.

Wakeham has only played seven NRL games compared with Reynolds and Walker’s combined total of 291 matches, but the Chester Hill junior isn’t daunted.

Instead, he has vowed to go punch for punch with his more experienced Rabbitohs rivals.

“Personally, I’ll have a rivalry with any team – I don’t like any team,” Wakeham said.

“I never want to take a backwards step because that means that I’ve already lost the game if I do that.

“I haven’t played against them (Walker and Reynolds), but I’ve seen plenty of their footy and I love the way they play.

“It will be a really good opportunity to test myself against those two.

“They have both played Origin, so it is going to be a challenging task for me to get one over them, but I’m looking forward to it.

“If I can just bring that energy and talk, hopefully I can inspire the team.”

Wakeham hasn’t won since returning to the Canterbury side in the past two weeks, but he has shown strong signs through his effort and talk.

He is particularly impressive when he runs the ball, although he is a hard maker on his form.

“In the last couple of weeks, I probably haven’t been doing the best, so I’m looking forward to getting another opportunity this week,” he said.

“Hopefully, I can do better for the team.”

Wakeham revealed his halves partner Kieran Foran has played a vital role in instilling confidence.

Foran has won a premiership at Manly and played on the Test stage for New Zealand, so when he speaks any young playmaker should listen.

“Kieran has told the whole team that if you see an opportunity, don’t be scared to take it,” Wakeham said.

“He said that even if it doesn’t come off, the guys will still be there to back each other.

“I watch him at training and how he gets around the boys and the kind of talk that he brings to the team in training and the games.”

Bulldogs prop Aiden Tolman has faith in Wakeham to steer the side around the park despite his inexperience.

“He is only a young guy coming into the squad, and he has got to know that he has our full support,” Tolman said.

“He has just got to play the way that he needs to. He is in the side for a reason and he deserves his spot, so he has got to make sure that he plays with plenty of enthusiasm and demand from us forwards what he wants.”

Meanwhile, Tolman wouldn’t be surprised if British recruit Luke Thompson make his NRL debut for the club against Souths after he trained strongly on Wednesday.

“I think he (Luke) wants to play this weekend and most of the squad want him to,” Tolman said.

“I guess it depends on what our high-performance guys come up with and if he is ready.

“But if he feels like he is physically ready to play, then I’m sure he will get the chance to play this weekend.”

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like him but he hasn't shown shit for the past 2 weeks.

This...

In the last couple of weeks, I probably haven’t been doing the best, so I’m looking forward to getting another opportunity this week,” he said.

“Hopefully, I can do better for the team.”

If you don't, you know the Prince will be back.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s a bit harsh to put the blame on any player when you lose by 30. People blaming Wakeman are acting like we win if Lewis plays :p

Kid deserves atleast the rest of the year to develop. Let’s not forget Thurston left us after 30 or so games and he wasn’t a consistent mainstay in the first grade squad. For the smaller players it’s as much about experience as ability. And I may be alone but I’m comfortable in losing with wakeman for the short term to see if he is worth persisting with.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s a bit harsh to put the blame on any player when you lose by 30. People blaming Wakeman are acting like we win if Lewis plays :p

Kid deserves atleast the rest of the year to develop. Let’s not forget Thurston left us after 30 or so games and he wasn’t a consistent mainstay in the first grade squad. For the smaller players it’s as much about experience as ability. And I may be alone but I’m comfortable in losing with wakeman for the short term to see if he is worth persisting with.
No you're not alone, all the wakeham "supporters" want him to have a consistent run of games to see if he improves and shows enough for us to say keep him long term.

Its the lewis fan boys who are skewing the conversation and making it out to be something it isn't.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I like his attitude and he has a bit of confidence too. Hopefully he bounces back after last week. He needs to just focus on improving his defence this week and if he can do that, the rest will take care of itself.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good kid. Love what he says, just need to see a little more from him..!! And this club/board mind you.!!!

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm yet to see anything that makes him stand out. Hope I'm wrong but I think he's just average.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He deserves time... we gave Lewis chance after chance after chance. Give the kid a good go to see if he can learn and develop with Foz.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Another player to come out and talk without backing it up

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Another player to come out and talk without backing it up
I like him but Im sick of talk from the club, coach and players.
I think theres nothing wrong with a bit of shit talk and ego but Id rather see results first.
Anyways, hope he plays well this weekend.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Fact- we win more with Lewis

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
He was solid for us at the start of the season. Then covid happened and wasn’t selected. I feel he needs to get involved more and take control of the team. He has shown flashes of brilliance. He is only young and his performances will erratic. This season is write off, let’s see how he goes for the rest of the year. I never want to see Lewis in the halves again.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I'd prefer the young fella gets some runs on the board before gobbing off. I hope he backs it up and not like Napa last week did.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, the only 2 guns we have in the halves are Avo and BBO. I think Avo has shown enough to prove he has what it takes. BBO has speed and footwork and just looks the goods.
From what I've seen of him, Wakeham is a potential gun. He does have wraps on him from Fittler so the kid obviously has something but so far in first grade he hasn't produced yet but in this team it's hard to tell when he's constantly getting the ball at 2nd and 3rd receiver. FMD, Pay promised to overhaul our attack and yet 3 years later we're still playing fucking Desballl. That's one of the many reasons Pay has to go
This is the whole point of giving Wahemam game time now. If he doesn't impress in the next 8-10 games, go hard for Burton