Daily Telegraph/Rothfield New Zealand Warriors target Jackson Hastings with Wigan’s John Bateman deal close

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canberra star John Bateman is ready to quit Australian rugby league in a move that could trigger a flurry of player movement across three countries.

Bateman is set to move to Wigan in a huge coup for the club, which could lose star halfback Jackson Hastings back to the NRL.

Sources say St George Illawarra has formally withdrawn from negotiations with Bateman while his second suitor, Canterbury, is focusing its attentions elsewhere.

It can be revealed:
*Bateman’s likely move is to take up a $2 million four-year offer from Wigan;

*Wigan may lose enigmatic Hastings to the New Zealand Warriors, whose halves combination could undergo major changes;

*Canterbury is heavily focused on luring State of Origin winger Nick Cotric from Canberra; and

*The Bulldogs have also spoken about re-signing halfback Kieran Foran – in stellar form for a struggling side – on a reduced contract.

It can be confirmed the Warriors made Hastings a firm offer when he toured with Great Britain late last year. While the former Roosters, Dragons and Sea Eagles halfback rejected that initial offer, New Zealand’s interest has not waned.

Rival clubs believe Canterbury may have also discussed Hastings but the Bulldogs want to throw $600,000 a year at Cotric and use him as a centre.

Still only 24, Hastings has played some tremendous football in England but has always held a private desire to one day return home after leaving Manly in contentious circumstances.

Hastings is a strong supporter of Wigan coach Adrian Lam, whose position at DW Stadium remains uncertain, according to well-placed UK sources.

The Daily Telegraph has been told the New Zealand Warriors want to give rising halfback Chanel Harris-Tavita some quality time at halfback over the next four to six weeks.

If Harris-Tavita struggles to nail down a spot, the Warriors will revisit their interest in Hastings.

It is uncertain how interim Warriors coach Todd Payten would use halfback Blake Green, 33, should Harris-Tavita be chosen to start in coming weeks.

Harris-Tavita, 21, has been selected on the interchange bench for Saturday’s match against Brisbane in Gosford.

Bateman – told he could leave the Raiders on Tuesday – was hoping to secure an NRL deal worth $800,000 a year yet that figure hasn’t quite materialised.

It is understood Bateman’s management would now accept less than $800,000 a season but only if the deal stretched over four years.

The Wigan deal is worth $500,000 a season but Bateman is seeking a slightly increased offer given veteran Sean O Loughlin will retire after this season and the Super League club could also offload backrower Joe Greenwood – a former Gold Coast player – to Leeds.

Saints have officially withdrawn from the chase for Bateman, who still owns property in Wigan. He could also reunite with 10-year-old daughter Millie by returning to Lancashire.

The Dragons had shown interest but wanted to lodge a three-year deal – Bateman’s management was adamant he wanted four seasons.

Canterbury – with a $3m war chest to spend – has not publicly stated whether it is still hunting Bateman but it now appears highly likely the Englishman will return home.

Given he has only endured one full season of the physical NRL, some clubs were reluctant to offer Bateman a four-year contract.

While all this happens, Gold Coast continues their hot pursuit of injured Brisbane star, David Fifita. Brisbane fears their horrid season may influence Fifita to quit and head south to Robina.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/a1cd6b79fc13d3333adcc5490fc88d99

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
IMO, Bateman was always going to England and it's good to see the dogs are chasing cotric. Cannot complain tbh.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Foran on a reduced contract
Well you would hope it’s bloody reduced considering he’s making 1.2million this season!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Foran lol fucking dumb *****

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would have gone after Hastings tbh.
Totally agree. The good news is nothing is confirmed lol.

No way Bateman takes a 4 year deal at 2 million when he can make that and more in 3.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not fussed on Hastings to be honest and as good as Bateman is there’s no guarantee he would stay for the full term of his contract anyway. We’re much better off using the money to chase spine players like grant, Burton and look for a fullback and prop

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The lack of quality players on the market is alarming. We really need some of these young pups to progress and quickly. I still can’t see us competing for many years to come

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton or Hastings are a must for when Foran breaks down. We need depth in the halves to make sure you know who stays in CC next year

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cotric obviously inst enough, we still need a 9, a half and an edge backrower but nobody seems to know who were chasing

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Souths blue print that led them to 2014 premiership? Inglis burgess for them and thommo cotric for us? Lol

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
The lack of quality players on the market is alarming. We really need some of these young pups to progress and quickly. I still can’t see us competing for many years to come
This is what I was saying a year ago: people kept blowing their loads defending the board and club when they where saying the season hasn’t started. Then it was how many quality players have signed else where etc.

Well as I said then. How many teams are as shit as us and have 3-4mil to fix this crap? What have we done? Sweet fuck all.

Board, coach, roster all fucked.

Not one of these guys will change it.

Foran extended? Yeh we are amazing with him clearly!

If he stays at 400k sure. Otherwise fuck off! He has got 1.2 or whatever for years for half seasons and even on field he’s not a Fucking Thurston, Smith wtf he’s not worth 1mil.

Grant or Brandon smith have to be priority.

Cotric, Bateman, burton and evening Hastings should be next. I’d even part with Foran for them if it can happen.

We need major fucking work but the problem is they can’t just sit around till December 2020 ffs

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Totally agree. The good news is nothing is confirmed lol.

No way Bateman takes a 4 year deal at 2 million when he can make that and more in 3.
I think the desire to get home and see his family is making him accept it.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is what I was saying a year ago: people kept blowing their loads defending the board and club when they where saying the season hasn’t started. Then it was how many quality players have signed else where etc.

Well as I said then. How many teams are as shit as us and have 3-4mil to fix this crap? What have we done? Sweet fuck all.

Board, coach, roster all fucked.

Not one of these guys will change it.

Foran extended? Yeh we are amazing with him clearly!

If he stays at 400k sure. Otherwise fuck off! He has got 1.2 or whatever for years for half seasons and even on field he’s not a Fucking Thurston, Smith wtf he’s not worth 1mil.

Grant or Brandon smith have to be priority.

Cotric, Bateman, burton and evening Hastings should be next. I’d even part with Foran for them if it can happen.

We need major fucking work but the problem is they can’t just sit around till December 2020 ffs
Averillo should be our five eight moving forward. If Schopp develops there’s one center. We have Thomson coming, good prop. We’re desperate for a hooker, dynamic forward or classy fullback. No idea where they come from. Grant would be amazing. Throw 800k at him

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Foran in stellar form wtf love it when the junior in the office drums up a story and we should go for cotric for centre and if we are serious grant at all costs and burton they are all very gettable if our recruitment can wake up

Diatribe 2000

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bad news guys
Koroisau to Panthers!
We missed out at the 11th hour
That’s my Mail and I’m pretty confident in the source

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The article is all over the place...