News John Bateman to depart Canberra at Seasons End

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Canberra star John Bateman will depart the club at the end of the season.

The Canterbury Bulldogs, St George Illawarra Dragons and his former side Wigan are among the teams interested in signing him.

The Englishman reportedly informed the Raiders of his decision this morning.

“The club made the difficult decision to allow John to pursue other long-term options and as a result, 2020 will be his final season with the Raiders,” Raiders CEO Don Furner Furner told the club website.

“We’re looking forward to John returning from his shoulder injury soon and finishing his time by helping us make the semi finals again. John was fantastic in 2019, featuring in our first Grand Final appearance since 1994 and winning the Dally M for second rower of the year.”

Bateman thanked the club for giving him the opportunity to play in the NRL.

“The Raiders gave me an opportunity to come to Australia and play in the NRL and I’ve loved every moment playing for the club,” he said. “I’m doing everything I can to make sure I get back on the field as soon as possible and finish my last season with the Raiders on a high.”

Bateman doesn’t officially come off contract with Canberra until the end of 2021, but has a unique deal where he can renegotiate each season.

It was previously reported that Bateman has requested multiple releases from the Raiders since the 2019 Grand Final.

The 26-year old enjoyed an impressive rookie campaign for Canberra, claiming Dally M Second Rower of the Year honours.

He is currently sidelined indefinitely after undergoing a second round of shoulder surgery earlier this month

Fingers crossed this means a statement is released soon regards to his signing.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Do we really want a guy who hasn't played yet this season due to what appears to be an ongoing injury?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
No thanks. Selfish and shows no loyalty.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No thanks. Selfish and shows no loyalty.
Loyalty in this sport, IMO, is dead. Yes there are a few one club men around but of those, some are being treated like mud by the Club themselves. Benji/Farrah at the Tigers and Alex Glenn had to fight to stay at the Broncos.

As a club, we need to act exactly like Newcastle and once a few big fish are signed, the rest may follow. Have Thompson and potentially Bateman and Cotric (you would think), entice others to jump on board. Would having these three help to sign Harry Grant, one hundy it would compared to the 6yr olds we have now.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Loyalty in this sport, IMO, is dead. Yes there are a few one club men around but of those, some are being treated like mud by the Club themselves. Benji/Farrah at the Tigers and Alex Glenn had to fight to stay at the Broncos.

As a club, we need to act exactly like Newcastle and once a few big fish are signed, the rest may follow. Have Thompson and potentially Bateman and Cotric (you would think), entice others to jump on board. Would having these three help to sign Harry Grant, one hundy it would compared to the 6yr olds we have now.
I meant loyalty to his existing contract. He was there for 1 year before bitching about wanting out. I don't want him anywhere near our club.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the moment we need some good signings give him a 2 year club option for the 2nd Safe for club and player he will last one more season and ho home to his daughter clearly cashing in over here

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I meant loyalty to his existing contract. He was there for 1 year before bitching about wanting out. I don't want him anywhere near our club.
I don't agree, his contract gives him the right to renegotiate every year. If Canbra didn't want him to have that power then they shouldn't have included it in his contract. He is not breaking anything, he is doing nothing more than what his contract entitles him to do. I would feel exactly the same way if we were stupid enough to have that clause in any players contract. Canbra were stupid and now they are paying for it.

Go Dogs

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don't agree, his contract gives him the right to renegotiate every year. If Canbra didn't want him to have that power then they shouldn't have included it in his contract. He is not breaking anything, he is doing nothing more than what his contract entitles him to do. I would feel exactly the same way if we were stupid enough to have that clause in any players contract. Canbra were stupid and now they are paying for it.

Go Dogs
It doesn't give him the right to negotiate for this year. It was for next year. He's sitting out on purpose now to prove a point.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe he wants to go back to England

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Woods, Mbye,Klemmer
Not like we can talk
his contract is unique in that it could be renegotiated each year
What are you babbling on about? They aren't at our club anymore because of their greediness. Your comment literally makes no sense.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not really, although not a bad player by any means , probably a pass..!!

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What are you babbling on about? They aren't at our club anymore because of their greediness. Your comment literally makes no sense.
We cut them short of their own contracts
so why are we any different, if thats what bateman is supposedly doing (which he is not, hes doing what hes contractually allowed to)

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bateman is looking for 900K, we would be nuts to pay this much for a back rower given what we just spent on Thompson. I'll be ropeable if they waste one third of this supposed war chest on another forward.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Klemmer maybe
What did poor Woods do wrong? signed a deal and cut loose 8 weeks later
We cut them to suit our needs is my point, the same way you are criticising bateman for looking out for himself

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We cut them short of their own contracts
so why are we any different, if thats what bateman is supposedly doing (which he is not, hes doing what hes contractually allowed to)
They still got all their money. They didn't have to leave if they didn't want too. Totally different scenario.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Klemmer maybe
What did poor Woods do wrong? signed a deal and cut loose 8 weeks later
We cut them to suit our needs is my point, the same way you are criticising bateman for looking out for himself
We didn't cut him. He still got every single dollar. Des left us over the cap and left. If we didn't get rid of players we would've been punished for being over the cap.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/my...its-back-at-stuart-spray-20200701-p5582c.html

"On 24 February I met with [Canberra CEO] Don Furner, Ricky Stuart and John in Canberra to discuss John’s future at the Raiders," Moses said in a statement sent to the Herald. "At that meeting Don advised the club were in salary cap trouble. 2021 was very tight and they were in the process of trying to re-sign other players in addition to John. 2022 was worse, they weren’t going to be able to afford him at all.

"After that meeting, on 11 March I received an email from Don giving permission for John to talk to other clubs as the Raiders weren’t in a position to accommodate him long term.

"I respect Ricky Stuart. He was a great player and is a great coach. He wears his heart on his sleeve and is entitled to his opinion like everyone else," Moses said.

"At the same time, it was Canberra who agreed a clause in John’s current deal to sit down and revisit his salary each year – a contract I had nothing to do with.

So the argument he is greedy and selfish just took a hit if Moses' comments are accurate