"Roosters $400k Under Cap In 2020"

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Interesting about Tzaneros who is listed as a long term partner...just as well he is not listed as a partner of the club ( they are a player partner and listed as such ) otherwise his heavily topped up contract for Tedesco would be illegal under cap rules....The fact that these sponsorship can be unlimited is wrong and is the reason that the playing field is nowhere being level. The Roosters in fact for all their partners and sponsors have the lowest amount of TPA's registered with the NRL.....

https://corporate.roosters.com.au/partners

https://www.facebook.com/ACFSPortLogistics/posts/2113812625507064

ACFS is a proud long-term partner and supporter of the Sydney Roosters. We are also pleased to announce a personal sponsorship of new Roosters recruit and NSW Blues fullback, James Tedesco. We wish James and the Roosters the best of luck for upcoming NRL season!

https://www.nrl.com/operations/integrity/salary-cap

What players can earn outside the salary cap
Unlimited - Players can earn unlimited amounts from corporate sponsors who are not associated with the club and who do not use the game's intellectual property (no club logos, jerseys or emblems) provided these are pre-approved by both a Player’s Club and the NRL. These agreements may not be negotiated by the club as an incentive for a player to sign a contract, nor can they be guaranteed by the club.
to be honest I am not sure about TPA rules and I have not suggested at all there's something dodgy going on but I do know that by nature AT is generous when he wants to be.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When a club has a board of billionaires, you know that club can remain under the cap!

The funniest thing with the Roosters is the amount disclosed when they sign players, becomes way more when that player leaves! Cronk signed for $750k but when he left he created $1.2 million in cap space!!

Last edited:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lmao - is there a quote from the club stating we are "$400K under the cap"? No, there's not even the usual "I was advised by club insiders..." it's just Rothfield throwing darts at a wall. But because those darts fit with your lack of facts, than it must be true.

We have been accused of being over the cap for two decades. And yet not one ex-player, or informant, or ex-staffer or player manager, or ex-club official has stepped forward to expose this supposed rort that everyone else knows about? Talk about an X file!

In that time multiple clubs have been found to actually be systematically rorting the cap, including yours. Your rort was discovered, so was Melbourne's and so was Parra's, but not ours?

So let me get this straight, you're saying the Roosters as a club are so smart, so meticulous that we can keep a rort hidden for all this time for all those players and not be found out? Yet at the same time we're willing to tell Phil Rothfield intricate details about our cap? Are you guys really this gullible?

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
lmao - is there a quote from the club stating we are "$400K under the cap"? No, there's not even the usual "I was advised by club insiders..." it's just Rothfield throwing darts at a wall. But because those darts fit with your lack of facts, than it must be true.

We have been accused of being over the cap for two decades. And yet not one ex-player, or informant, or ex-staffer or player manager, or ex-club official has stepped forward to expose this supposed rort that everyone else knows about? Talk about an X file!

In that time multiple clubs have been found to actually be systematically rorting the cap, including yours. Your rort was discovered, so was Melbourne's and so was Parra's, but not ours?

So let me get this straight, you're saying the Roosters as a club are so smart, so meticulous that we can keep a rort hidden for all this time for all those players and not be found out? Yet at the same time we're willing to tell Phil Rothfield intricate details about our cap? Are you guys really this gullible?
Do you honestly believe that bottom 8 clubs can be under continual cap pressure yet the two time defending premiers aren't?

In any sport the teams that win titles lose numerous players as the salary cap squeeze is felt and all of those premiership winning players go up in value.

Yet somehow the Roosters don't lose anyone of note aside from Latrell and Cronk over the course of three seasons and manage to keep all of the rest of their best young players and stars while adding more depth?

Please explain how you could spend roughly $6 million on ten players in Teddy, Keary, Cordner, Crichton, JWH, SST, Friend, Manu, Tupou and Radley and somehow manage to fit the other 20 players under $4 million?

Those other 20 players include Flanagan who was recruited heavily, the Morris Brothers, Hall, Aubusson, Liu, Collins, Butcher, Verillis etc..

Are you suggesting that players of that calibre are on an average of 200k each when some of them could get two and a half times that from other clubs?

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
Like I believe this whatsoever.

Every Tom Dick and Harry knows that Nick “Moneybags” Politis knows how to game the system

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are you really that gullible to believe your team is under the cap? C'mon, let's be real now.

Malla

Reaction score
They aren't over the cap but I am sure Politis funnels money/property/vehicles/anything of value to his players and he's probably found loop holes making it perfectly legal.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you honestly believe that bottom 8 clubs can be under continual cap pressure yet the two time defending premiers aren't?
If they managed stupidly yes. Bulldogs retention and recruitment = dumb. Broncos retention and recruitment = dumb. Dragons = dumb. Cronulla = dumb. Warriors = dumb. Now look at the smart recruitment and retention clubs, Parra = on the up, Raiders = on the up, Tigers = on the up, Manly = on the up, Penrith = on the up.

In any sport the teams that win titles lose numerous players as the salary cap squeeze is felt and all of those premiership winning players go up in value.
Again it's the result of smart recruitment and retention, examples are Boyd Cordner re-signed for 5 years at the start of 2018, same with Victor Radley. We identified those as players we want to keep so we made the move to keep them BEFORE their value increased as a result of multiple premierships. Your club re-signs Josh Jackson out of fear of loosing him. Can you not see the difference?

Yet somehow the Roosters don't lose anyone of note aside from Latrell and Cronk over the course of three seasons and manage to keep all of the rest of their best young players and stars while adding more depth?
Lost only two players of note in 3 seasons? See here is where your biased, blinded crap unravels. Since 2017 we have lost Pearce, Watson, Tetevano, Gordon, Ferguson, Evans, Napa, Matterson and Cronk and Mitchell. And isn't it curious how you fail to mention the value of those last two particular players = $1.5 mill? Now why would you fail to mention that I wonder?? Oh probably because their value goes a long way to answering your following points.

Please explain how you could spend roughly $6 million on ten players in Teddy, Keary, Cordner, Crichton, JWH, SST, Friend, Manu, Tupou and Radley and somehow manage to fit the other 20 players under $4 million?
I can't explain because I don't know...and neither do you or anyone else outside the powerbrokers at the club. By all means keep guessing, but that's all you're doing.

Those other 20 players include Flanagan who was recruited heavily, the Morris Brothers, Hall, Aubusson, Liu, Collins, Butcher, Verillis etc..

Are you suggesting that players of that calibre are on an average of 200k each when some of them could get two and a half times that from other clubs?
What has averages got to do with it? That is the stupidest argument when you are talking about individual player contracts. Aubs would be on discounts due to his longevity, no one else wanted the Morris bros. Butcher, Liu, Collins, Verills were all developed by the club and as far as I'm aware have not been headhunted by anyone before re-signing with us?

Let me ask you this, would your club have given Latrell Mitchell what he wanted, an extra $200K, if he was playing at your club like he was for ours? Or like we did, would your club maintain it's discipline and nerve and allow a strike player with such enormous talent to leave?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you really that gullible to believe your team is under the cap? C'mon, let's be real now.
Answer mine before I answer yours. Do you believe we are smart enough to hide a cap rort for 20 years yet at the same time be dumb enough to tell Phil Rothfield about it? I mean seriously!

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Answer mine before I answer yours. Do you believe we are smart enough to hide a cap rort for 20 years yet at the same time be dumb enough to tell Phil Rothfield about it? I mean seriously!
No one is suggesting your club is stupid. It's not stupidity, it's plain arrogance.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If they managed stupidly yes. Bulldogs retention and recruitment = dumb. Broncos retention and recruitment = dumb. Dragons = dumb. Cronulla = dumb. Warriors = dumb. Now look at the smart recruitment and retention clubs, Parra = on the up, Raiders = on the up, Tigers = on the up, Manly = on the up, Penrith = on the up.

Again it's the result of smart recruitment and retention, examples are Boyd Cordner re-signed for 5 years at the start of 2018, same with Victor Radley. We identified those as players we want to keep so we made the move to keep them BEFORE their value increased as a result of multiple premierships. Your club re-signs Josh Jackson out of fear of loosing him. Can you not see the difference?

Lost only two players of note in 3 seasons? See here is where your biased, blinded crap unravels. Since 2017 we have lost Pearce, Watson, Tetevano, Gordon, Ferguson, Evans, Napa, Matterson and Cronk and Mitchell. And isn't it curious how you fail to mention the value of those last two particular players = $1.5 mill? Now why would you fail to mention that I wonder?? Oh probably because their value goes a long way to answering your following points.

I can't explain because I don't know...and neither do you or anyone else outside the powerbrokers at the club. By all means keep guessing, but that's all you're doing.

What has averages got to do with it? That is the stupidest argument when you are talking about individual player contracts. Aubs would be on discounts due to his longevity, no one else wanted the Morris bros. Butcher, Liu, Collins, Verills were all developed by the club and as far as I'm aware have not been headhunted by anyone before re-signing with us?

Let me ask you this, would your club have given Latrell Mitchell what he wanted, an extra $200K, if he was playing at your club like he was for ours? Or like we did, would your club maintain it's discipline and nerve and allow a strike player with such enormous talent to leave?
No one's saying other clubs haven't made bad decisions. Maybe if the Roosters didn't keep signing other clubs best players with their infinite cap space, those clubs wouldn't have to overpay for average players just to try and spend the minimum 95% of the cap.

Surely you can see the basic flaws in the salary cap and how it's designed to benefit the top teams, not evenly distribute talent across the competition as it's supposed to.

I said players of note. Not scrubs like Gordon, Evans, Tetevano, Napa etc.

They lost Ferguson and Matterson but sign Chrichton for more than those two were on combined and the Morris twins! And still you can't see how it doesn't add up..

The players you've re-signed were already ascending or established stars that other clubs were chasing so it's not like they were re-signed for pennies on the dollar.

Last edited:

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fucking
From Sporting News:

One of the longest-running jokes across NRL circles is that the Sydney Roosters are over the salary cap - or the 'salary sombrero' as some may call it.

But apparently, that isn't exactly the case.

Following season-ending injuries to Victor Radley and Sam Verrills on Friday night in their win over the Dragons, the Roosters actual position within the salary cap has reportedly been revealed.

With the club now without a back-up hooker for Jake Friend, they may need to look elsewhere for a short-term option - and it looks like they may be able to afford it.

Senior reporter Phil 'Buzz' Rothfield told Big Sports Breakfast on Monday morning that the Roosters are in fact $400,000 under the salary cap for this season.

"I spoke to the club yesterday and asked if they would bring in (someone)," he said.

"You won’t believe this – the Roosters are $400,000 under the salary cap for this year. I’m telling you, it’s a true story.

"You forget about the players they release each year."

It can't be true, can it?

Well the club has lost Cooper Cronk, who was reportedly on $1 million a season during his two-year stint at the club.

Latrell Mitchell and Blake Ferguson have also both departed in the past 18 months, while the influx of younger players such as Radley, Sitili Tupouniua and Nat Butcher may help the cap.

But it is the revelation from Rothfield that James Tedesco and Luke Keary are both on less than many may believe.

"What do you think Tedesco and Keary are on? Tedesco came over for about $900,000 and Keary came over for $850,000," he said.

"They are now in the process of upgrading and extending their deals, and they will both go over $1 million.

"You want to know what the Morris brothers are on – combined, less than Blake Ferguson used to be on.

"What do you think Kyle Flanagan is on? He's on $275,000."

With such a talented roster and two premierships in the past two years, the Roosters are obviously going to have to lose players.

But if you look back through their success in the past decade, that isn't exactly uncommon for the Tricolours.

While most fans will continue to joke about the club's salary cap, perhaps it is just good management from Trent Robinson, Nick Politis and all involved at Bondi.
Fucking bullshit, if any company want to hide certain things from the ATO they find a way, and that's why the rorters are never caught out because they have people who know how to hide things from the NRL and their fucking good at it, that's why it's so hard to prove.
The rorters are the best at hiding what needs to be hidden because they have never been caught, whoever is hiding what needs to be hidden is the best at what they do, and until their caught they'll keep on cheating, no player is going to accept 700,000 if they know their worth 900,000, and your never guaranteed a premiership ring from any club as it's not possible to even promise that taking into consideration injuries to major players, family crisses, the covid, which could stop the comp for a season or even 2 seasons, the majority of players want as much as they can get because they could be injured the first game they run onto the ground so your not going to accept a lower amount, that's why I call bullshit.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one's saying other clubs haven't made bad decisions. Maybe if the Roosters didn't keep signing other clubs best players with their infinite cap space, those clubs wouldn't have to overpay for average players just to try and spend the minimum 95% of the cap.
More hyperbole. As far as signing other clubs "best players" we signed Critchon, Tedesco and Cronk in the past 3 years. Critchon was hardly lol@souffs best and Cronk had left Melb to retire. Teddy is one.

Surely you can see the basic flaws in the salary cap and how it's designed to benefit the top teams, not evenly distribute talent across the competition as it's supposed to.
Stopping clubs going broke was the main reason the cap was introduced, and you will never get an even distribution of talent and it is ludicrous to think you ever will. If you administer a sporting competition to always assist the poorer run clubs it will either fail or you end up with a doctored competition, ala AFL. That doctoring was never more evident than the last AFL GF, Richmond a well run club 114 - GWS a club propped up by the AFL 25.

I said players of note. Not scrubs like Gordon, Evans, Tetevano, Napa etc.
You also said only 2 and you were wrong.

They lost Ferguson and Matterson but sign Chrichton for more than those two were on combined and the Morris twins! And still you can't see how it doesn't add up..
Again you believe you're own hyperbole if you think we signed Critchon for more than what Ferguson AND Matterson were on. You keep saying we're a smart club, but then you attribute stupid decisions like that to us and believe them?

The players you've re-signed were already ascending or established stars that other clubs were chasing so it's not like they were re-signed for pennies on the dollar.
Yes they were quality players we developed and were on the up and yes we re-signed them. What would expect us to do, refuse to re-sign them so lol@souffs or the Donkey's or St Merge be more successful?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one is suggesting your club is stupid. It's not stupidity, it's plain arrogance.
Yeah it probably is a bit of arrogance. Back to back Premiers, back to back World Club Champions, wouldn't you feel a bit of that if your club had achieved that?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
More hyperbole. As far as signing other clubs "best players" we signed Critchon, Tedesco and Cronk in the past 3 years. Critchon was hardly lol@souffs best and Cronk had left Melb to retire. Teddy is one.

Stopping clubs going broke was the main reason the cap was introduced, and you will never get an even distribution of talent and it is ludicrous to think you ever will. If you administer a sporting competition to always assist the poorer run clubs it will either fail or you end up with a doctored competition, ala AFL. That doctoring was never more evident than the last AFL GF, Richmond a well run club 114 - GWS a club propped up by the AFL 25.

You also said only 2 and you were wrong.

Again you believe you're own hyperbole if you think we signed Critchon for more than what Ferguson AND Matterson were on. You keep saying we're a smart club, but then you attribute stupid decisions like that to us and believe them?

Yes they were quality players we developed and were on the up and yes we re-signed them. What would expect us to do, refuse to re-sign them so lol@souffs or the Donkey's or St Merge be more successful?
So you're saying Chricton isn't on 800k? I know for a fact that he is. Souths lodged a formal complaint because they could only offer 600k but somehow the Roosters could offer 200k more.

I'm sure according to you he's on 450k but when he leaves you'll say he was on $1.3 million...

By the way Flanagan was Cronulla's best young player along with Xerri. Every club was chasing Flanagan but he signs for the Roosters for 250k? Haha. Okay, believe what you want.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah it probably is a bit of arrogance. Back to back Premiers, back to back World Club Champions, wouldn't you feel a bit of that if your club had achieved that?
I definitely would if we didn't rort the cap to achieve it.