Official Hopoate to undergo surgery

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs can confirm Will Hopoate has suffered a high-grade tear of the syndesmosis ligament in his left ankle.

The fullback was forced from the field in just the fourth minute during the club’s clash with the Wests Tigers after his ankle was caught under Tigers centre Joey Leilua and took no further part in the game.

The 28-year old will be operated on today and is expected to be sidelined for six to eight weeks.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2020/06/29/hopoate-suffers-ankle-injury/

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Season just went from 99.9% chance of being bottom 4 to 100%

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bad luck, gotta Feel for the guy, hoppa hasn’t missed a game since 2017, been super reliable and one of our best consistently.. wish him all the best in his recovery.!!!

On another note, here’s Averillo’s chance to have a shot a fullback, he needs to take the number 1 jersey.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay better put Jake Averillo at fullback and not DWZ.
I Know DWZ has been suspect under the high ball, I guess this is my concern with Averillo also not having seen him play there...

I guess we’re so screwed either way, if we’re thinking of bringing Meaney back, we’re even more screwed - Dean don’t do it!!!

We need to try something different in the centres, I’d be giving any two of Harper, Schoupp, Katoa or Tass a try.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hopoate was our most crucial player in attack. We looked dangerous when he was sweeping out the back and actually playing like a fullback. Right now he's possibly the worst player we could of lost. I'd like to see Averillo given a go at fullback. Pay's trying to pick the best team to win games with experience in mind (that's why he picked Lewis over Wakeham for so long) and right now that might not mean Averillo at fullback and instead DWZ.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt Avo has the endurance to play 80 mins at fullback but at least allow play him at fullback in the attacking zone. He offers so much more than DWZ

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Massive loss. I think we're about to find out exactly how much difference he makes to this team over the next few weeks. What he lacks in pace and explosiveness he makes up for in class, composure and overall football smarts. By the time he comes back the season could already be gone.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I doubt Avo has the endurance to play 80 mins at fullback but at least allow play him at fullback in the attacking zone. He offers so much more than DWZ
DWZ fullback in defence and kick return. Avo on the ball at fullback in opposition half. I'd prefer Avo there all the time, but if he struggles this is the way. Either way Souths backline will rip us to shreds

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’m probably in the minority here but I don’t rate Hoppa and don’t understand the love for him. He’s an average player that won’t get us to our next premiership. He’s a safe player that lacks the skill we need = speed

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d love to see Averillo given a shot at fullback, but realistically, it’ll be

1. Meaney / DWZ
2. Smith
3. Holland / Harper
4. Averillo
5. DWZ / Meaney

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
High-grade syndesmosis, same injury as Foran, happened much the same way, a heavy lump of an opposition player falling on his ankle, bummer.

Go Dogs