Raymond Fatali Mariner is like vodka

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I watched RFM closely for the first time today and I have thoughts.

What I mean by the title referring to vodka is if you drink vodka the right way, it's good, can be fun and everything's fine. However if used wrongly, misused, it is poison and can kill you or make you sick or is in just general haram.

The first thing I noticed was how hard he ran and I was somewhat impressed. I thought he was Renouf Toomaga at first (they look same to me) but he ran hard like a beast and I liked that, my previous memory was him running across field like a cattle dog rounding sheep.

However what I also noticed is the guy has no footy brain at all. He can't think on the field or has any real footwork of note. He's very much a typical poly forward.

What I am getting at is he shouldn't be a second rower for us.
Compare him to CHN, who was a sharp stepped and ran good angles and did some good things with his hands and you'll see what I mean. RFM killed a lot of attack today.

but cast your mind back to earlier, I was impressed by his running straight and hard.

There's a place for that- prop!
He needs to go to prop and just run hard and live free.

that's the vodka I know and love. Not the way it's being abused now. Nasheed.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
He has to be in the middle as a battering ram. Out wide head needs to think and use his feet. It's not him. I only need to see him a few times to know this. Second rowers can't be one dimensional.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One thing about him (and I can say he was solid last night) his defence is very suspect and lazy late in games or under fatigue.

I do see the value in playing him as a middle forward. He does have quick leg speed and an offload that could be dangerous in the middle. His defence should be tighter as he is lazy when sliding or trying to stay in front of his man. And I do see him as a 60 min player. Like I said he played well yesterday. But I just don’t see him starting and playing full games as a second rower.

I’d say moving forward him and Elliot should be retained. Only 2 that run hard and cause problems for the opposition. Neither are superstars. But off the bench both would be good as they have speed and can offload. Modern day middle forwards, especially against fatigued opponents.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been very impressed with him of late. However last night I saw glimpses of him going back to his old ways of crabbing. And that's where the coaching staff need to come in and train that out of him again.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He was killing it last year coming off the bench as a prop up the middle so what does pay do plays him out wide now
Agree he was killing it up the middle off the bench but coming up he was an edge second rower and he’s just about all we got there at the moment. Jacko struggling on the edge and Elliot is suited to the middle.. Britt didn’t look good on the edge the other week. There is very limited options.

Malla

Reaction score
RFM has been good. But when the going gets tough, he is average. He will be a good player on a shit team (at present) but an average/poor player on a great team.

He runs the ball well, but his defense is atrocious. I don't know if anyone actually noticed how slow his line speed was, I don't think he has any lateral movement? Whenever Reynolds put Garner off his inside shoulder, it felt like it took RFM 4 minutes to stop and chase. RFM providing punch off the bench is the best he's gonna get.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So RFM is like a potato?.. Are u calling him the new spud?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Said he was annoying as fuck on the edge last week because whilst he worked hard, he stifled our left edge as barely any ball got past him to poor Averillo... But that was shut down as he was 'one of our best' lol

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
So RFM is like a potato?.. Are u calling him the new spud?
I tried making vodka when I was younger with my mum’s potatoes..... Let’s just say I had “Bessemer” imprinted on my ass for a while

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
RFM used to have a lot of errors in his game, dropped balls and wayward off loads, this gave his game some unpredictability. Someone has definitely told him not to pass. He has been coached to ‘tuck the ball under the arm and run’

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His more like cranberry juice if you ask me.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Said he was annoying as fuck on the edge last week because whilst he worked hard, he stifled our left edge as barely any ball got past him to poor Averillo... But that was shut down as he was 'one of our best' lol
He did it again last night Mike. Runs an angle back into the ruck away from Avo or into traffic and no one backing him. The basic errors in this team are alarming.

They are coasting but looking like there's effort just for appearances.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been having similar thoughts about RFM. Have him as a bench prop with Napa. Starting props Renouf and Tolman, Thompson lock and Elliot moves to the second row.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Better in the middle even at lock.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hes the least of our problems however 1) coach 2) hooker 3) holland 4) halves

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
One thing about him (and I can say he was solid last night) his defence is very suspect and lazy late in games or under fatigue.

I do see the value in playing him as a middle forward. He does have quick leg speed and an offload that could be dangerous in the middle. His defence should be tighter as he is lazy when sliding or trying to stay in front of his man. And I do see him as a 60 min player. Like I said he played well yesterday. But I just don’t see him starting and playing full games as a second rower.

I’d say moving forward him and Elliot should be retained. Only 2 that run hard and cause problems for the opposition. Neither are superstars. But off the bench both would be good as they have speed and can offload. Modern day middle forwards, especially against fatigued opponents.
Has always been lazy in defence.move him on.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He was awesome when he came over from the Warriors, but then again with al players that come across it always starts that way.!!

And he is a good player, don’t get me wrong.

As long as we keep Averillo then that’s the main thing.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
He was awesome when he came over from the Warriors, but then again with al players that come across it always starts that way.!!

And he is a good player, don’t get me wrong.

As long as we keep Averillo then that’s the main thing.
Averillo needs a lot of work and like most players last night made his share of mistakes.Hopefully he can be coached properly and has a long career.