few obvious signings/players positions

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really think Matt Burton is a key player we should be gunning for, he is a natural talented five eight, speed, strength, step and good kicking game, hes young and is stuck behind panthers halves.

Brandon smith: he will be playing second fiddle, behind grant and a recently re-signed Dale Finucane, throw him a 5 year deal at $800k.

Centre, with the news of Cotric, id play him centre and if schoup kills it and remis flops (like he has been), sell smith and move cotric to wing to accommodate schoup. another good option is brent naden.

Dont worry about Bateman, we have too many similar sized/playing style back rowers... id throw a ten year deal at Dave Fifita, hes a game changer.

Wakeham needs to be given the same opportunity that dud/fraud lachlan lewis was given, if he cant prove his worth till end of 2021, we will till have good funds to purchase a quailty 7 for the 2022 season.

Luke Thompson needs to be lock, his speed and ability/aggression will suit him there, hes too small for front row.. i know people criticize Napa, but he was never a klemmer that would make you 200m a game, he is a defensive forward, who will reap benefits with a meter eating forward partnering him there.

personally, these are all realistic signings

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I really think Matt Burton is a key player we should be gunning for, he is a natural talented five eight, speed, strength, step and good kicking game, hes young and is stuck behind panthers halves.

Brandon smith: he will be playing second fiddle, behind grant and a recently re-signed Dale Finucane, throw him a 5 year deal at $800k.

Centre, with the news of Cotric, id play him centre and if schoup kills it and remis flops (like he has been), sell smith and move cotric to wing to accommodate schoup. another good option is brent naden.

Dont worry about Bateman, we have too many similar sized/playing style back rowers... id throw a ten year deal at Dave Fifita, hes a game changer.

Wakeham needs to be given the same opportunity that dud/fraud lachlan lewis was given, if he cant prove his worth till end of 2021, we will till have good funds to purchase a quailty 7 for the 2022 season.

Luke Thompson needs to be lock, his speed and ability/aggression will suit him there, hes too small for front row.. i know people criticize Napa, but he was never a klemmer that would make you 200m a game, he is a defensive forward, who will reap benefits with a meter eating forward partnering him there.

What is your prop rotation? I'm assuming you're not re-signing Elliott with Thompson playing lock?

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is your prop rotation? I'm assuming you're not re-signing Elliott with Thompson playing lock?
sign a meter eater front rower, just gone blank with names.
i would have toumaga on the bench, with another experienced front rower. not impressed with ogden.
Elliot on the bench, he is playing good, but its deceiving, hes good in a very average roster. i dont care if he leaves.
mariner on the bench also.

Reactions: ATT

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
sign a meter eater front rower, just gone blank with names.
i would have toumaga on the bench, with another experienced front rower. not impressed with ogden.
Elliot on the bench, he is playing good, but its deceiving, hes good in a very average roster. i dont care if he leaves.
mariner on the bench also.
Welch? Molo and Tamou also off contract. After that there isn't a lot.
I think Elliott would leave if he was demoted to bench. He's also going to be asking for too much money to be a bench player (I'd personally keep him as starting lock if it was my decision). I think we'll find out surely when we see how and where Thompson plays if that's going to happen.
If RFM is on the bench, Jackson is one second rower, the other is? Hopefully Topine ready?

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welch? Molo and Tamou also off contract. After that there isn't a lot.
I think Elliott would leave if he was demoted to bench. He's also going to be asking for too much money to be a bench player (I'd personally keep him as starting lock if it was my decision). I think we'll find out surely when we see how and where Thompson plays if that's going to happen.
If RFM is on the bench, Jackson is one second rower, the other is? Hopefully Topine ready?
Thompson is under 100kgs, i just think he will be too small for front rower, so at lock he could be used aggressively in defense with his line speed, and with his support play/agility, he could be a good ball running lock in the middle. But i guess thats up to the coaching staff to see and determine.
topine, needs to earn a spot not be handed, if he develops well he can always takeover an aging jackson.
regarding the second rower spot available, I would honestly be tempting Dave Fifita with a ten year deal, he is too damaging to pass up without having a fair crack.

bateman
jackson
elliot

they are all very similar players, all workhorses, we need barnstormers, who can change the game. we just done have that.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Thompson is under 100kgs, i just think he will be too small for front rower, so at lock he could be used aggressively in defense with his line speed, and with his support play/agility, he could be a good ball running lock in the middle. But i guess thats up to the coaching staff to see and determine.
topine, needs to earn a spot not be handed, if he develops well he can always takeover an aging jackson.
regarding the second rower spot available, I would honestly be tempting Dave Fifita with a ten year deal, he is too damaging to pass up without having a fair crack.

bateman
jackson
elliot

they are all very similar players, all workhorses, we need barnstormers, who can change the game. we just done have that.
I think Bateman and Elliott are in different categories to Jackson.
I don't think Bateman and Elliott are one dimensional like Jackson is.
If we were to compare Bateman with Kikau from last year (second row, average per game):

Kikau
Tries: 0.4*
Try Assists: 0.1
Linebreaks: 0.5*
Linebreak Assists: 0.1
Tackles: 23.6
Tackle Breaks: 3.8
Miss Tackles: 4.2
Offloads: 1.1
Errors: 1.1
Metres Gained: 123.6*
Penalties Conceded: 0.6

Bateman
Tries: 0.2
Try Assists: 0.2*
Linebreaks: 0.2
Linebreak Assists: 0.2*
Tackles: 34.6*
Tacklebreaks: 4.2*
Miss Tackles: 2*
Offloads: 1.9*
Errors: 0.4*
Metres Gained: 115
Penalties Conceded: 0.5*

As we can see from the stats, Bateman breaks a lot of tackles and offloads which creates second phase play. Overall Bateman is a better player than Kikau.

If I was to show you the comparison between Elliott and someone like Carrigan from the Broncos you'd also notice that Elliott probably isn't a workhorse (or at least just that).

I agree with what you're saying with Thompson and that's why I'd sign a metre eater forward, e.g. Welch, to compliment him. I also don't want to lose Elliott as I see it as a Finucane 2.0 situation. Elliott has been our best player this season and almost every game so I don't think we can afford to lose him.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
stats are misleading mate, do not do a dessy lol.

kikau played 18 games last year whilst bateman played 23, and thats not including the entire final series.

kikau is better then bateman, but i get that is your opinion.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
stats are misleading mate, do not do a dessy lol.

kikau played 18 games last year whilst bateman played 23, and thats not including the entire final series.

kikau is better then bateman, but i get that is your opinion.
It's subjective that's why stats are important (I'd just like to throw in I didn't include the finals and I believe I used a big enough sample size). Bateman is better than Kikau from my eye test. My best friend is also a Panthers supporter, I removed the names and showed him the stats and asked him to pick which one he'd have in his team. He chose Bateman and also didn't go back on that when I revealed the names. Bateman is definitely more than a workhorse which is the main point anyways. If I'm being honest it's hard for you to argue that overall Kikau is a better player than Bateman, especially when Bateman if coming off second rower of the year and that statistics point in Bateman's favour. I agree Kikau could be a slightly better attacking threat than Bateman if used correctly, but that's about it.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The threads just keep coming :weary: some solid news would be nice !!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The threads just keep coming :weary: some solid news would be nice !!!
I'm just as impressed as you with all these wishlist threads. I avoided logging in here for a few weeks to take a breather from seeing them. It didn't help much. We as fans have zero input on signing decisions, so I see these threads as nothing but a source of frustration for many people if their preferred signings don't eventuate.

BULLDOG 4 LIFE

Waterboy
Reaction score
I agree on Bateman. He is a great player but we need to strengthen our spine first and don't need more forwards. Then with better playmakers we can get more out of our existing forwards.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So far we have signed

JAC
Saab
Korobiete
Cotric
Rona
Grant
Bateman
Bellamy
Ennis
Bennett

I dont think we need anymore signings at this stage

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far we have signed

JAC
Saab
Korobiete
Cotric
Rona
Grant
Bateman
Bellamy
Ennis
Bennett

We also signed SBW, 2x Turbos, Latrell, Api, Ramien, Ese’ese, Radradra, Chambers and Gus. Busy recruitment team

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far we have signed

JAC
Saab
Korobiete
Cotric
Rona
Grant
Bateman
Bellamy
Ennis
Bennett

Thats only in the last week

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So far we have signed

JAC
Saab
Korobiete
Cotric
Rona
Grant
Bateman
Bellamy
Ennis
Bennett

We also signed SBW, 2x Turbos, Latrell, Api, Ramien, Ese’ese, Radradra, Chambers and Gus. Busy recruitment team
Bennett was going to be co coaching with Bellamy too because we had him signed as well. At the end of the day I've learnt to appreciate the virtue of patience with regards to signing news. The media simply aren't in the loop with our club. It doesn't stop them from making things up as they wish. If anything, the closed door policy we have with the media makes us a better target for rumour mongering.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So far we have signed

JAC
Saab
Korobiete
Cotric
Rona
Grant
Bateman
Bellamy
Ennis
Bennett

Nah Mate. You forgot Seibold as well, he’s missing :tearsofjoy:

Paul Doolans mirror

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Kevin proctor..nathan peats..reed mahoney..josh ado carr..harry grant..nick cotric..john "master" bateman..jason saab..marika koriebeti are all viable options at the moment..If we let go of cogger..tolman..sue..holland..montoya..foran..tass..faitala-mariner and hopefully lewis we should be in a position to rebuild like we did in 2009.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jordan Maclean played well tonight against the Knights and is off contract.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I Definitely agree with you about Burton, I think he would be perfect for us and I don't think we would have any trouble snaring him away from the panthers, but I also think we should look at Malony & try to entice back to NRL. they would make a good halves pairing together.