News Time to repay Pay: Napa says players owe debt to besieged coach

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Besides not having a decent go the last two weeks, the problem for Napa is the rule changes don't suit him at all. Pay bought him to be a starting prop who could play 50+ minutes and dominate other packs with his aggression. Pay needs to give him no more than 20 minutes a half, or put him on the bench and tell him to bust a gut with short minutes mid game.
Pay bought him because he was going to bRiNg tHe MaDnEsS lol. No wonder the board don't trust Pay with any future recruitment.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dylan Napa says morale is strong in Canterbury's camp despite uncertainty about the future of coach Dean Pay.

Pay is off contract at the end of this season and the club's modest results this year has led to constant pressure on the coach about his future.

The club's board will meet on Thursday and Pay's position is expected to be discussed leading into Sunday's game against Wests Tigers.
Napa conceded there are some "distractions" but insisted the Dogs are focused and determined to repay their coach.

"There's always going to be chat when you're not going as well. We've got full support in Dean," Napa said.

"He's given us all of our opportunities so we want to repay him and play well for him. There are always going to be distractions but we've just got to control what we can control.

"He's been really solid. It's tough for him - there's pressure on a lot of us, not only our coach but a lot of players of ours to perform. We've felt the pressure but we're all here for each other and we've all got goals.

“We all want to be successful and achieve that. We can't waste days by not getting around each other. We've got to back each other up and put in good performances."

The 15th-placed Dogs were gritty in losing 20-18 to Cronulla in round six on Sunday but Napa is far from satisfied.
"That's been sort of the story of the year, we've been close but not getting there which is disappointing," Napa said.

A bright spot for the Bulldogs in 2020 has been the emergence of outside back Jake Averillo, who is finding his feet after five games.

"I think I'm just getting used to the week in, week out grind of NRL and getting a bit more confidence in my ability," Averillo said.

The 19-year-old speedster has the perfect role model alongside him in fullback Will Hopoate, who was again outstanding against the Sharks.
"Every weekend he's probably one of our best performers. He's always training hard," Averillo said.

"I'm just trying to get around those older boys and pick their brains and see how to get my consistency for good performances."

Averillo said Canterbury must spring out of the blocks at Bankwest Stadium on Sunday, especially against a Tigers side that put 34 first-half points on North Queensland last week.

"They've got a lot of attacking strike. We need to start well, we haven't really started well our last couple of games and that's put us on the back foot," Averillo said.
So he owes it to Pay, after all he signed the rag doll for $650,000 a season...
BUT...No mention of the supporters or the club that pays his wages !
What ever happened to CLUB COMES FIRST ???

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I couldn't bring myself to read that article based on the headline. The time to play was at the start of your contract mate!

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So he owes it to Pay, after all he signed the rag doll for $650,000 a season...
BUT...No mention of the supporters or the club that pays his wages !
What ever happened to CLUB COMES FIRST ???
beat me to the response
Also comments li,e these from players is infuriating, do they need to perform once the coach is under pressure . They are professionals it shouldn’t take 6 rounds to be “trying extra” to perform , you should be doing that from day dot .
My question why is he and rest of players getting paid if they haven’t been trying their best already

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Napa should shut his mouth and start focusing on playing to a standard that corresponds to his price tag....he is a lazy unfit piece of shit....what a pathetic signing by the club....save your money and sign quality players like fifita

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
cut out Mary and mcinnes's names replace with pay's and crapa's

And you've got the same carbon copy article
Bulldogs fan here: and replace Phil rothfield name and replace with The Chimpster and you’ve got the same sour patheitc attitude

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Besides not having a decent go the last two weeks, the problem for Napa is the rule changes don't suit him at all. Pay bought him to be a starting prop who could play 50+ minutes and dominate other packs with his aggression. Pay needs to give him no more than 20 minutes a half, or put him on the bench and tell him to bust a gut with short minutes mid game.
Agree totally.
Impact off the bench.
He was slow to play the ball after he got tackled the very first time last week.
Skip to any Raiders/Rooster/Storm player 3 mins in and the speed at which theyre playing.
The effort is there, he just looks as if hes taken a handful of benzos before he takes the field.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
beat me to the response
Also comments li,e these from players is infuriating, do they need to perform once the coach is under pressure . They are professionals it shouldn’t take 6 rounds to be “trying extra” to perform , you should be doing that from day dot .
My question why is he and rest of players getting paid if they haven’t been trying their best already
I would rather his 650k go towards purchasing fifita

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Napa's lost his aggression. He was brought in to be an enforcer. That's almost all he has in his game and he's not doing it.
Agreed reminds me of des with us napa isnt a dog

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To think we had klem and this guy replaced him. Face palm 1 million times over. I swear recruitment at the dogs the last few years has been abysmal

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Napa definitely hasn't added the aggression I hoped he would. But to be fair, Klemmer was only aggressive in rep teams once he got established here. So it's not really a huge difference. I miss the days when we had a pack that scared the opposition. But since shoulder charges are now illegal the game permanently seems a lot more soft. Very few players can put on a punishing tackle that is legal.

But this article is pretty standard fare for a team that isn't winning regularly when their coach is under fire. I've got mixed feelings about Pay. I don't know if he's worth backing or not to be honest. He doesn't have a great squad at his disposal in terms of flair. Plenty of potential in some youngsters. But the direction on field hasn't been great. And we need a few good wins to boost the self belief among the players. At the moment they're under a lot of pressure and it can prevent them from trying things.

Hopefully we get those couple of confidence building wins soon and push for consistency from there. Until then I am ok with not hearing from the players and letting their football talk for them.

DOGSOFWAR2013

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Modest results? Talk about suger coating this years results.
Thompson and tolman in. NAPA from the bench for impact. Something the cat has been missing.
Especially when he was folded in half like origami by the smaller rooster player.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They really lifted for Pay

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nap is the most lethargic player In the comp. I would pay 500k of his salary just to get 100k to bring a kid up into the squad

dinga

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Geez Napa, if this is playing for the coach, hate to see you idiots chuck it in. Play for the coach my arse.