News How Dogs great Ennis and a club sponsor could lure Bennett to Belmore

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Journalist Paul Kent and league great Matty Johns have revealed Michael Ennis and a club sponsor could hold the key to luring supercoach Wayne Bennett to Canterbury.
Bennett has been linked to the Bulldogs job in recent days as the Belmore outfit considers the future of current coach Dean Pay.

The club board will meet on Thursday night where Pay’s future will be discussed.

Bennett on Wednesday angrily denied suggestions he would cut his Rabbitohs contract short, given he’s signed to do the job in 2021 again.
But on the Matty Johns Podcast, Kent and Johns revealed it’s a prominent Bulldogs sponsor who’s keen to get Bennett to the blue and white
And he’s trying to throw Ennis into the mix as well.

“There’s whispers that there’s a sponsor involved.... this is actually where the (Craig) Bellamy stuff’s come from... he’s the one that’s keen on Bennett, and he’s willing to tip in money,” Kent said.

“There is actually a soft cap that they can only spend on their football department, so even though this sponsor is willing to tip in money, the rest will go into sponsorship for the club.

“There’s a lot of money there. I think the Dogs are gathering a bit of a warchest and they’re going to have a real look at what they can attract.
The talk about Bennett is there’s Bennett and a former player who might go there as a bit of a package.”

Matty Johns cut in, “it’s Michael Ennis”, which Kent confirmed.

“The name that keeps going around is the bloke in this (Fox Sports) building, Michael Ennis,” Johns said.

Ennis played 136 games for Canterbury. He now works for Fox League but also does work with the Raiders.
Earlier in the night on NRL 360, the panel discussed Bennett’s fiery press conference on Wednesday.

Kent said Bennett doesn’t have a leg to stand on when telling journalists not to make stories up, given he’s been caught out telling mistruths a number of times in the past.

Kent and James Hooper both agree, though, that it now seems like Bennett will see out his Rabbitohs contract.
He’s been linked to jobs at the Bulldogs, Dragons, and even the Warriors.

“I was certain he was on the move, he was looking elsewhere,” Kent said on NRL 360.

“I think something has changed in recent days, recent weeks, and I think he’ll now stay at Souths.

“I think he sat there and all this late rush of how it would effect his tenure now at Souths, has made him sit down and think I’m going to see it out.”

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fox sports reporting that Ennis and a club sponsor trying to lure Bennett to the dogs thoughts?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If this sponsor wants such a say the least they can do is upgrade to a major sponsorship. Ennis has talked plenty of shit over the last few years about the club and plenty of it has been valid mind you so it would be interesting to see if he walked the talk. Ennis’ obsession with wanting Reynolds back at the club is a major red flag. There’s probably nothing more then a passing suggestion from a sponsor and it’s not worth fussing over. All these rumours are going to swirl around the club until a decision is made unfortunately.

Last edited:

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m actually down for this. Say what you want about Bennett, but he’s a fantastic man manager who players want to play for. Having him as a coaching coordinator with Ennis as coach? I think this is a great idea. Would attract players. Ennis has a fantastic footy brain.

Juicydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Last week "apparently" the dogs board were trying to get a few sponsors to "chip in" as 3rd party sponsors to lure Bellamy in, all of a sudden a "sponsor" and Ennis want to lure Bennett in.

It's clear as day that Pay wont be here next year, but ffs just announce the next years coach before the little quality that is left on the player market starts signing elsewhere.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this sponsor wants such a say the least they can do is upgrade to a major sponsorship. Ennis has talked plenty of shit over the last few years about the club and plenty of it has been valid mind you so it would be interesting to see if he walked the talk. Ennis’ obsession with wanting Reynolds back at the club is a major red flag. There’s probably nothing more then a passing suggestion from a sponsor and it’s not worth fussing over. All these rumours are going to swirl around the club until a decision is made unfortunately.
The money from the sponsor has to be paid to the club as a sponsorship.

I think his thoughts about Reynolds would change if he was a coach, he didn’t lure him to Raiders!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Bennett truly is a good fit at this point in our lives.I was the first to call it. Nasheed.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Personally, I still believe Pay is the man who will lead us to our next premiership, but failing that- Bennett, Bellamy, Flanno or a slick rookie.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FUCKKKKKK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSFUCKKKKKKKK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Would love Bennett with a succession plan for Ennis to be head coach down the track.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So Matty Johns and Paul Kent talked about how their Fox Sports/News Ltd colleague Ennis is trying to lure Bennett and boom, you have another story spinning the same bullshit with a different name in a News Ltd publication. What a coincidence and what detailed research and reliable sources!

Last week it's Bellamy, now it's Bennett, next week it will be Flanagan or someone else.
Matty Johns gets these bullshit "scoops" completely wrong all of the time. I wouldn't give more hot takes like this any more attention than they deserve.

Right now it's very easy to fabricate stories linking us to every player and coach and the media seem to be doing a great job of it.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
What exactly makes Ennis an option as a coach down the track?

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
So they are saying the sponsor will only come on board if they get to choose who coaches us?
Not sure that passes the pub test.
These journos have a pretty easy gig... read a team's fan forum and if you see a good idea, type it out with a few innuendos and some "un named sources close to the club" and hey presto... bound to get something right occasionally!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What exactly makes Ennis an option as a coach down the track?
Think he’s only been a hooker coach at the Sharks and is a part time assistant at the Raiders. He’s also coached one of the junior NSW sides too but certainly lacks experience and there’s nothing to suggest he will be a great coach because he hasn’t done enough of it. He’s probably on decent money at Fox I’m not sure he would want to leave that.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: can’t wait for chimpsters opinion..... should be good!