Pay to be spared the axe for now... but Bulldogs’ $3m headache remains

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Our restricted cap spend has been well documented - the board was clear that based on their assessment it would be 2021 before we were back on an even playing field.
So rank the current 16 NRL squads and tell me where ours sits - I did and I came up with 13/14.

Pretty much the same ranking as last year when I look at the 2019 squads where we finished 12th

That inexperienced squad had one marquee player in Foran who was invariably injured - we missed the 8 by 3 points!

So by any fair measure you would say Deano should get a pass mark for 2019.

In relation to 2020 it has been a bastard of a year - again the marquee is injured. We also lose CHN arguably our best attacking forward and our one ‘big’ signing in Stimson.

The rules are changed in away that I believe favours the stronger squads and impacts the strengths Deano has with his current squad, which was to slow the game into a dog fight.

Still this team puts in 100% every week which is a testament to the respect they have for their coach.

Swap just 1-2 players in every game we have played this season bar the Roosters match and we probably win!

So I say give Dean those 2 players and then judge him fairly.

A gun hooker and centre would make us top 8 - add a marquee half as well and we give 2021 a shake.

Try to be positive - so many of the negative posts display a sense of entitlement and a lack of reality!!
Fantastic post mate. Good to see another member here who’s in touch with reality.

I look forward to Dean getting the chance to coach this team with the addition of a couple more players of genuine quality. He’s done a top job so far given all the things you’ve listed above working against him.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok cool yep I’m a flop. I can’t wait for 3 more signings so you make like a tree and leave like you said you will. If you’d rather the bloke that dug the biggest hole in our history and pushed the club into it rather than the people trying to dig us out of it I’m glad you’re not a voting member
As long as pay is booted out, I don’t give a fuck about staying on the forum lol

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Mate..I dont know or speak for others but I suggested Gus to be involved to help Pay if that is the only plan the board and club have with the head coach. Even you have questioned some selections and positional play as have others only to be left scratching your head. You were just as upbeat about our chances this year as anyone because of our finish and recruitment etc, and even figured us as top 8 (its in a thread).

But now we are staring down the barrel of possibly 3 from our first 10 or maybe worse, surely that raises red flags even with you about our Coaching dept?

I dont believe and never really did, that we should just change for the sake of change. But I will be fucked if we just sit on our hands and miss out on the right players because the confidence isn't there for our coach, regardless of the money..

Gus isn't going to put forward Bennett, Bellamy or Hook, that would be to much like endorsing them. But if we dont bring in someone in some capacity (Football manager, Coaching Director, whatever) with real cred to spend the money we have, we will be fucked until enough top juniors come thru, and thats if they dont get pinched..

I have always backed the optimistic brigade and unconditionally back the club and still do, but something just isn't right, and something will happen..
I haven't specifically questioned anything, but yes, I did say we should be able to push into the 8 based on our finish to last year.
The rest I don't really agree with.
Take the Sharks game - we should've won that.
Jacko knock on - Sharks score next set. Wakeham binned - Sharks score next set. Foz 6 again on the 5th deep in our territory - Sharks score next set.
Are those plays the coaches fault?
Is it the coaches fault that our $1.2m man didn't do much against the Sharks?
Take away just ONE of those tries and we win the game.
I see effort every week, but I also see a lot of dumb plays and mistakes. The squad have to shoulder their responsibility too.
I don't see Pay as a long term solution but I'm not prepared to blame him solely for how the team is currently travelling and nor do I think sacking him now solves much.
Your good self and others will have their opinions to which you're entitled - this is mine.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
dear Natboy

we are so blessed to have you and other fascists as voting member to look out for our interests because the current board you voted in is doing a bang up job

again thank you for bringing up again that you are a voting member.

your sincerely
the kennel
The pay cockfest by the 3 stooges on here is embarrassing

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I haven't specifically questioned anything, but yes, I did say we should be able to push into the 8 based on our finish to last year.
Jacko knock on - Sharks score next set. Wakeham binned - Sharks score next set. Foz 6 again on the 5th deep in our territory - Sharks score next set.
I see effort every week, but I also see a lot of dumb plays and mistakes. The squad have to shoulder their responsibility too.
I don't see Pay as a long term solution but I'm not prepared to blame him solely for how the team is currently travelling and nor do I think sacking him now solves much.
Your good self and others will have their opinions to which you're entitled - this is mine.
Even with the six agains, penalties and errors I think we're still putting in a good account for ourselves, especially with what's expected from us. That's what helps me be hopeful for the future after we sign a few more top players. I'd much rather be a Bulldogs fan right now when considering everything than a Warriors, Cowboys, Sharks or Dragons fan. Those other clubs are stuck with their roster whereas we're not after this year and have a lot of money to spend to add to it.

Reactions: ATT

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thats the problem with the style of football Pay has got the team playing. Grinding out results and going set for set without taking many risks with the ball makes any type of error critical to winning and losing.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I haven't wanted Gus in a role here his track record at Penrith isn't the best and his review at the Dragons hasn't done much for them either.

Look at the Knights a coaching change there has transformed them. Its not a black and white thing. Did Gus mention anything about that or leave that one out?

It would make it pretty easy if the club was hearing loud and clear players don't want to come because of Pay but what if they only find out in 6 months time when they haven't got the players they need.
Yes you may not have suggested Gus but plenty have.
If his track record at Penrith wasn't great, why are they currently 3rd on the ladder - he only left a year ago. is that all Cleary? I'd suggest some of it is Barrett too, but irrespective of how the team are coached, Gus did a lot of work on their nursery, sponsors etc - I don't think it could be called a failure, even if he doesn't get a 100% mark.
As for the Dragons - my understanding is the recommendations he made they couldn't afford.
He mentioned a couple of teams, can't remember if specifically the Knights but have they 'transformed' solely because of O'Brien? They went through years of rebuild with Brown.
I'm not sure I understand your last point. The club would be hearing now (and likely have for some time) IF players didn't want to play under Pay which means they would've been forced to act. Not sure what 6 months from now has to do with it if they already know this? That's why I question it.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Thats the problem with the style of football Pay has got the team playing. Grinding out results and going set for set without taking many risks with the ball makes any type of error critical to winning and losing.
Really? There was some attacking effort even against the Chooks - Crichton was unlucky not to score, there was a nice attacking break from Averillo which was a try for all money except the pass was buggered up. So again I see plenty of effort, I see very little polish.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Really? There was some attacking effort even against the Chooks - Crichton was unlucky not to score, there was a nice attacking break from Averillo which was a try for all money except the pass was buggered up. So again I see plenty of effort, I see very little polish.
Things open up occasionally but I’d hardly say they are actively trying their hand in attack. It’s still very structured with minimal risk.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes you may not have suggested Gus but plenty have.
If his track record at Penrith wasn't great, why are they currently 3rd on the ladder - he only left a year ago. is that all Cleary? I'd suggest some of it is Barrett too, but irrespective of how the team are coached, Gus did a lot of work on their nursery, sponsors etc - I don't think it could be called a failure, even if he doesn't get a 100% mark.
As for the Dragons - my understanding is the recommendations he made they couldn't afford.
He mentioned a couple of teams, can't remember if specifically the Knights but have they 'transformed' solely because of O'Brien? They went through years of rebuild with Brown.
I'm not sure I understand your last point. The club would be hearing now (and likely have for some time) IF players didn't want to play under Pay which means they would've been forced to act. Not sure what 6 months from now has to do with it if they already know this? That's why I question it.
Brown also "started" recruitment in 2017 and it took him three years to get the Roster the Knights have now. I'd personally say we/Pay haven't even had that 2017 year yet. That's our 2021. We have slightly different circumstances because we have a better base to work with and more salary cap we can spend in the first year.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Our restricted cap spend has been well documented - the board was clear that based on their assessment it would be 2021 before we were back on an even playing field.
So rank the current 16 NRL squads and tell me where ours sits - I did and I came up with 13/14.

Pretty much the same ranking as last year when I look at the 2019 squads where we finished 12th

That inexperienced squad had one marquee player in Foran who was invariably injured - we missed the 8 by 3 points!

So by any fair measure you would say Deano should get a pass mark for 2019.

In relation to 2020 it has been a bastard of a year - again the marquee is injured. We also lose CHN arguably our best attacking forward and our one ‘big’ signing in Stimson.

The rules are changed in away that I believe favours the stronger squads and impacts the strengths Deano has with his current squad, which was to slow the game into a dog fight.

Still this team puts in 100% every week which is a testament to the respect they have for their coach.

Swap just 1-2 players in every game we have played this season bar the Roosters match and we probably win!

So I say give Dean those 2 players and then judge him fairly.

A gun hooker and centre would make us top 8 - add a marquee half as well and we give 2021 a shake.

Try to be positive - so many of the negative posts display a sense of entitlement and a lack of reality!!
LMFAO

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That’s a pretty shit response Dinkum all things considered. My good self?? Really?

Not bad for a bloke I have gone into bat for on here multiple times..I have spoken to you privately and on the forum and you are very aware of my proactive stance that has many similar views to your own. So to just pigeon hole me in one camp or another just because I offer some real concerns I have is pretty dissapointing mate.

Last edited: