Pay to be spared the axe for now... but Bulldogs’ $3m headache remains

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Seems like we have bigger problems at the board level than the playing roster. I have no confidence at all that they are gonna get it right. We waited four years just for 3m cap space?? 3m sounds like chump change when you consider teams like Newcastle spent 1 million on Ponga then acquired Klemmer, Pearce, Watson, Lee, Guerra, Lino, Mann, Brailey, Hymel, Glasby, etc..

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ive been saying for yonks that a billy goat wont win you a Melbourne Cup.
But people still expect Dean Pay to win games with a mob of billy goats. Go figure.
Do you even Rugby League?

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is 3m correct? That’s like two marquee players and 4 journeyman

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just Axe him now! And put him and us out of our misery.

Pay's a dud, I gave him the benefit of the doubt for his first year and a half. But he's no coach.

Just based on team selection alone shows he's got no clue.

When you have lower grade coaches shaking their heads on his team selections then you know there's a problem there.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Life, death, taxes and our board acting like muppets...

What’s the old saying “doing the same thing over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity”

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
best thing about this is the pressure is right on the board as well, theres no where for the andersons to hide if recruitment fails under their watch

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its definitely pressure for the board at the moment. If we get 2021/22 recruitment wrong it will take us so long to come out of it.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its definitely pressure for the board at the moment. If we get 2021/22 recruitment wrong it will take us so long to come out of it.
It looks like they are trying to kick the can down the road with so many contracts finishing at the end of 21.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they re-sign Pay on another 1 year deal which would be a disaster and just prolong the uncertainty.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It looks like they are trying to kick the can down the road with so many contracts finishing at the end of 21.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they re-sign Pay on another 1 year deal which would be a disaster and just prolong the uncertainty.
It just feels like the board themselves are uncertain on what they want to do. Doesn't give us much confidence does it

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It just feels like the board themselves are uncertain on what they want to do. Doesn't give us much confidence does it
I do have some sympathy in regards to finding the right solution. There isn't a stand out coach off contract and the player market is thin as well.

At the end of the day it's their job to get the right things in place and the time is coming where they need to make some big decisions.

Just sitting back and hoping it will sort itself out isn't an option. Waiting a few more weeks to make a call on Pay isn't going to achieve anything.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree with the player market being thin, surely we are looking at players to break contract ?? or are we too nice for that

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We can’t afford to wait a month. Make the fucking call now. The club can not afford to wait around. Make a fucking decision and start signing players to actually get excited about.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
i agree with the player market being thin, surely we are looking at players to break contract ?? or are we too nice for that
I'm sure they would be looking at all options including contracted players. There's no guarantee they will come though.