Pay to be spared the axe for now... but Bulldogs’ $3m headache remains

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Canterbury are expected to stick by embattled coach Dean Pay following a Thursday morning board meeting – but his short-term reprieve may have a drastic impact on their recruitment.

The Bulldogs have just one win from their opening six games and it leaves the club one spot off bottom.

With their coach off contract later this year, Canterbury were eager to monitor their team’s performance before offering him an extension.

The sooner the better for the Bulldogs who, after years in the doldrums, will have the full salary cap to use in 2021 to the tune of around $3 million.

The uncertainty over Pay’s future is said to be having a knock on effect on their recruitment and their retention.
Players are cautious of heading to the Dogs if they are not sure who the coach will be.
The likes of Wayne Bennett, England coach Shaun Wane and Craig Bellamy have all been linked with the role, while the likes of Anthony Griffin, Nathan Brown and Geoff Toovey are all free agents.
Bellamy, however, has batted back those suggestions, even telephoning Pay to reassure his old mate that he wasn’t interested in taking the job.

But it shows that discussions are being had behind the scenes.
Canterbury will have British recruit Luke Thompson available next week, and the prop is said to be the cornerstone of their aggressive recruitment drive.
The club have been linked to the likes of Josh Addo-Carr, Wallaby Marika Koroibete and a return to Belmore for fan favourite Josh Reynolds.
In the meantime, a big cohort of players are coming off contract. Kieran Foran, Adam Elliott, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Aiden Tolman and Jack Cogger are all able to speak with rival clubs.
Elliott, in particular, has been very impressive over the last few weeks.
He told Fox League after Sunday’s loss that he faces making a big call on his future.
“I’d jump in front of a train for the club but I’ve got a young family now and it’s that point in my career where I have to make smart decisions, informed decisions,” he said.
“I’m just going to turn up and try and play as good as I can for the Bulldogs and, hopefully, that will sort itself out.”
Within a month, the club will be hoping that they can find a resolution to future of their players as well as the coach.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/0a5da779b8cf138c273f251cda5559a4

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Lol he keeps getting blocks of 4 games every other 4 weeks.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If the board get this wrong there'll be another 3 to 4 years of shit results.
I think they're getting it wrong. What's going to be left recruitment wise in 6 to 8 weeks time when they realise Pay can't coach and they sign a new coach for 2021?

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fucking board are a joke, we will be lucky to win one more game this season, but hey were on the up!!!:rage:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Even if Pay goes on a 6 game winning streak is it really going to answer that many questions about his coaching ability?

The fact that they are so indecisive at this stage tells you everything you need to know. They don't have confidence in him otherwise it would have never got to this stage.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
FFS another one of these articles that's a carbon copy of the rest neither confirming nor denying anything.

This whole situation is like watching someone torturing a bug, ripping it's arms and legs off and cackling with glee while they do it

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What we need is for the board to come out and say: "Dean has our full support".

Only then we will be able to confirm he will be sacked the following week.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
AGAIN..

Kearney got the boot..

#PayNeedsToGoAlready .!!!!!!!!!

JOKE.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
3 million sound likes fuck all to me. If they have to resign some players who are off contract that doesn't leave much. Nah.....I don't know.

Just get some fucken good players, sick of watching this shit week in week out...... sorry I meant year after year lol.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ive been saying for yonks that a billy goat wont win you a Melbourne Cup.
But people still expect Dean Pay to win games with a mob of billy goats. Go figure.
Do you have any problem with his selections of playing guys out of their best positions?, his bench and timing of those rotations?

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any problem with his selections of playing guys out of their best positions?, his bench and timing of those rotations?
dont be silly wendog...

new players will make all those coaching deficiencies magically disappear